BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #177
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I called Nitto and they asked for my pics. I sent an email...waiting for a response.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #178
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 864
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I called Nitto and they asked for my pics. I sent an email...waiting for a response.
you should let them know they are losing sales because of this. i just picked up four RS3's rather than deal with this splice issue. i would have gotten nittos if there was not a major problem.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | 90mm Turner Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Performance Steering Wheel | CF Mirror Caps | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit | Vorshlag Camber Plates | AiM Solo DL
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #179
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NC

Posts: 782
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
you should let them know they are losing sales because of this. i just picked up four RS3's rather than deal with this splice issue. i would have gotten nittos if there was not a major problem.
Same here, i previously went through 3 sets of NT01's and this time i switched to another tire because of this issue.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #180
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,220
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
you should let them know they are losing sales because of this. i just picked up four RS3's rather than deal with this splice issue. i would have gotten nittos if there was not a major problem.
Me too. I was all set for moving up to NT01s this season, and just ordered a set of RS3's instead. I don't want to be worried about my tires or dreading jacking up the car to check!
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #181
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I've used both RS3s and NT01s...you'll be back on NT01s sooner or later. Trust me. The best part of getting NT01s is that soothing and relaxing cooing sound they make...why would you NOT want that!

Seriously, that's not true for me. I will stay with NT01s. While this splicing thing is an annoyance, it doesn't necessarily result in a useless, unsafe tire. RS3s won't last long on an E9X M3. IMO, RS3s don't like heavy cars. I used to get up to 12psi of pressure increase from a 20 min session. AND...they are about 4 seconds slower on a 2.4 mile course.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #182
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 727
iTrader: (0)

I'm going to try the BFG R1s after I blow thru this current set of Nittos.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #183
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
I'm going to try the BFG R1s after I blow thru this current set of Nittos.
Give a review when you do--I've been thinking about these for a while.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #184
arter
collecting toys
 
arter's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 MCB
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rochester, ny

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

I also have looked the the Hankook TD's which is aimed directly at the Nitto NT-01. A more serious RS3. Should have better traction, somewhat more expensive ( $340 vs $270 a tire), but not as long as a life.

I may drive like an old lady, but I can get 12 -14 days out of a set of NT-01's.

I will need replacement tires for my NT-01's somewhere mid summer....
__________________
2011 e92 M3 Monte Carlo Blue ESS 535
2015 cayman GTS
2006 SLK 55 AMG
arter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #185
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
I may drive like an old lady, but I can get 12 -14 days out of a set of NT-01's.
Yeah, a supercharged old lady.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #186
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 864
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I've used both RS3s and NT01s...you'll be back on NT01s sooner or later. Trust me. The best part of getting NT01s is that soothing and relaxing cooing sound they make...why would you NOT want that!

Seriously, that's not true for me. I will stay with NT01s. While this splicing thing is an annoyance, it doesn't necessarily result in a useless, unsafe tire. RS3s won't last long on an E9X M3. IMO, RS3s don't like heavy cars. I used to get up to 12psi of pressure increase from a 20 min session. AND...they are about 4 seconds slower on a 2.4 mile course.
i will be back on R6's or Conti scrubs next set. i don't have a dual purpose set. it is all or nothing. PS2's for street and slicks for the track. I needed something to satisfy the drivers edge requirement temporarily, so i cannot run my R6's.

imo, i think the NT01 is unsafe at the moment. if it comes completely apart on the straight at TWS and you are on with the wall, were the 4 seconds worth it? i am out to have fun, not necessarily set records. nobody has had one completley come apart yet, but i do not want to be the guinea pig. my time is also more valuable than wasting it arguing with Nitto. i hope they figure this out as it is a nice tire.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | 90mm Turner Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Performance Steering Wheel | CF Mirror Caps | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit | Vorshlag Camber Plates | AiM Solo DL
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #187
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
i will be back on R6's or Conti scrubs next set. i don't have a dual purpose set. it is all or nothing. PS2's for street and slicks for the track. I needed something to satisfy the drivers edge requirement temporarily, so i cannot run my R6's.

imo, i think the NT01 is unsafe at the moment. if it comes completely apart on the straight at TWS and you are on with the wall, were the 4 seconds worth it? i am out to have fun, not necessarily set records. nobody has had one completley come apart yet, but i do not want to be the guinea pig. my time is also more valuable than wasting it arguing with Nitto. i hope they figure this out as it is a nice tire.
I think that's quite a leap to claiming that an NT01 may suddenly come apart and that anyone running NT01s are doomed. And you are willing to run conti scrubs aka used tires??? There are distinct signs when the tire begins to degrade. Its up to the driver to be smart and come into the pits. If anyone claims that their tire suddenly came apart and hit the wall...I'd call that 110% BS. The car started performing differently LONG before it came to that. The driver chose to ignore it and keep their foot in it. Same goes for most other issues...the question is will the driver own up to their ignorance?

For example. A driver has their LTW5 wheel breaks apart at all 5 spokes...outer rim separates from the hub while on the front straight at TWS. Didn't crash. The driver did acknowledge that he noticed a vibration from the front. Kept driving. He acknowledged the mistake and learned something. He could have just blamed the wheel but there were indications that the wheel was beginning to fail. Not saying that he was about to buy another set either...

From my earlier pics...I knew something was wrong, the back end was sliding around so I came in. Behold...I was missing a chunk. I'll be the first one to admit, I won't be getting long life out of any tires. Let's say I enjoy being well above the sweet spot of about 6% slip in the tires. But I can sure tell the difference between me inducing a slide and when a tire starts to degrade.

For the general public...If you can't tell the difference, you shouldn't even think about R-comps or slicks.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!

Last edited by bigjae1976; 03-27-2013 at 09:42 PM.
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #188
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,436
iTrader: (2)

You guys shouldn't stop buying these.. Somebody's got use up that August stock, so I can order a set.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #189
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,649
iTrader: (0)

^
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #190
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,621
iTrader: (11)

I spoke to Jim from performance tread yesterday and he's continuning to talk to Nitto about this issue. He is trying to get hold of an engineer on the Nitto side to discuss this issue with.

I will also call Nitto directly like others have so Nitto has this coming at them from multiple angles.

Jim said that this has nothing to do with the Toyo RR mounting pattern because he's sold hundreds of NT01 with no splicing issues and the problem just started.

I am also looking at alternate options such as the BFG R1 once these NT01 are done... Too bad because I really liked the NT01 for the one track-day I did with them. I hope Nitto acknowledges and fixes this issue soon.

He and I discussed the Hankook TD which he likes and recommends but unfortunately they are not available in 275/35/18 is my understanding...
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #191
CSBM5
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3, 2001 M5, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
I'm going to try the BFG R1s after I blow thru this current set of Nittos.
Over the past few years, I've used both NT-01s and the R1 on my M5. The R1 is a much more serious tire -- more grip, *much* less noise (i.e. you know how the NT-01 will start howling then yelling at you as you approach the top of the slip angle curve), and very controllable -- controllable to me that is. Some complain that the R1 has a peaked top of the curve, which it probably does, but the grip level is so high that is typical of a race tire. I still find it forgiving and easy to control since the feedback I get is so high from them. I love the tire.

BFG changed the compound on the R1 in 2010 I think, so I've not driven on the latest one, but I understand it's better than the original. Of course, if you're autocrossing or doing time trials, the BFG R1-S is available too, which on some cars performs better than the Hoosier A6 (and lasts MUCH longer). BFG has a contingency program this year with the SCCA, so expect to see lots of R1-S tires running in stock class. On my daughter's E46 that we co-drove at many autox events over the past 7 years, when it was in stock class we gave up on using the Hoosier since the "edge of death" would form after ~15 runs and then you'd need to flip them to get another 15 runs. If you didn't catch it quick, you'd have cords showing. Paying $275 each for that tire that wore so poorly was a joke. We switched to the R1 (they didn't have the R1-S then), and maybe gave up a couple of tenths or so on a 40 sec course, but we could run a set of R1s about 80-100 runs before flipping them for 80-100 more. I liked that tire much more than the A6, needless to say (and we weren't trying to be nationally competitive, just local club fun).

The problem for many with the R1 is that you really shouldn't drive the tire on the street, at least not for far. I've driven the NT-01 300 miles to an event, etc, and it is much more of a street tire than something like an R1 (even if it does howl like a truck tire).

I'd be interested to see the Rival go head-to-head with the NT-01. It wouldn't surprise me if the Rival is faster than the NT-01, and it will definitely wear longer. Having driven both tires, I much prefer the "behind-the-wheel" feel of the Rivals, can't say enough good things about them so far. I'll know more as the season progresses (and if we EVER get a warm dang event here in the South).
__________________
Current Stable:
2011.5 M3 sedan 6MT, Silverstone, no sunroof, no EDC, but all other options
2001 M5 LeMans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i 6MT Red/black, ZSP, Nav, etc.
2001 Audi S4 6MT; 1996 Volvo 850R wagon

Last edited by CSBM5; 03-28-2013 at 07:44 AM.
CSBM5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #192
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think the NT01 is the slowest R-Comp out there and also the fastest street tire. I guess you can throw in the Pilot Sport Cups but they are so damned expensive so I don't consider them. Faster than an RS3...slower than an R6 or similar R-comp with the 2 grooves. Don't judge the NT01 by the first impression. They keep getting stickier down to the threads...or splice in our cases. For those of us on a budget, the NT01 will last significantly longer than most other R-Comps since they don't seem to heat cycle out either.

The thing with Hoosiers is either you murder the outer edge. Or you spend $000's on getting your car modded and set up only to heat cycle them out relatively quickly. Not sure about the R1s...never tried them. I've also tried scrubs...crap. Yeah, you save on the tires. But you spend lots more on mounting, balancing, time going to and from the tire shop. Just way too much of a PIA.

From my understanding and experience, certain tires work better with heavier cars. E9Xs need those kind of tires. NT01s are one that do work well on the E9X. RS3s??? Don't think so. The old star specs were not that good either.

I guess there are some new offerings coming out so it should be interesting to hear some feedback on some new tires. Its been awhile since we've gotten something new and awesome, right?
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #193
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I think the NT01 is the slowest R-Comp out there and also the fastest street tire. I guess you can throw in the Pilot Sport Cups but they are so damned expensive so I don't consider them. Faster than an RS3...slower than an R6 or similar R-comp with the 2 grooves. Don't judge the NT01 by the first impression. They keep getting stickier down to the threads...or splice in our cases. For those of us on a budget, the NT01 will last significantly longer than most other R-Comps since they don't seem to heat cycle out either.

The thing with Hoosiers is either you murder the outer edge. Or you spend $000's on getting your car modded and set up only to heat cycle them out relatively quickly. Not sure about the R1s...never tried them. I've also tried scrubs...crap. Yeah, you save on the tires. But you spend lots more on mounting, balancing, time going to and from the tire shop. Just way too much of a PIA.

From my understanding and experience, certain tires work better with heavier cars. E9Xs need those kind of tires. NT01s are one that do work well on the E9X. RS3s??? Don't think so. The old star specs were not that good either.

I guess there are some new offerings coming out so it should be interesting to hear some feedback on some new tires. Its been awhile since we've gotten something new and awesome, right?
What about the Hankook C51 slicks? Supposed to be a little off Hoosiers but last significantly longer. Are they a viable DE-tire alternative to NT01's, or too expensive for how long they last?
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #194
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
What about the Hankook C51 slicks? Supposed to be a little off Hoosiers but last significantly longer. Are they a viable DE-tire alternative to NT01's, or too expensive for how long they last?
Not sure. Never used them.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #195
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 6|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 11,738
iTrader: (5)

has this happened with nt05s?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings & bearings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW race|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #196
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,256
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Have not heard of an NT05 having this issue.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #197
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,621
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Have not heard of an NT05 having this issue.
my first three track days this year were on NT05s and they are doing fine... its really just a street tire.. did one day with NT01 and it spliced... I am so mad at Nitto right now, as in I like the tire a lot but I really hope they can pull their quality control out of the toilet..

I will switch to R1 eventually but for now I'm trying to get a one replacement NT01 tire!
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #198
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,220
iTrader: (3)

I am going to switch to the new BFGs when they become available.

They screwed up their marketing by releasing them too late in the season. A lot of potential (casual???) customers will have already bought their tires for the season
__________________
LiM3y is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST