BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

ESS Tuning

03-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3

BMW wheel cleaner is the same Sonax wheel cleaner in a BMW bottle FYI

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #24
robotk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Just used sonax for the first time this morning and I'm a little disappointed. My car had about two weeks of brake dust/dirt built up and my wheels are silver which makes it very noticeable. Sprayed on the sonax and let it go to work...sprayed it off with water and was shocked to see a decent amount of brake dust remained. Don't get me wrong, it was def cleaner than before but reading reviews of the stuff I expected the wheels to be spotless.
Get some Wheel Woolies. Makes cleaning so much easier - It really cuts down on the time and you will end up with a pristine wheel, barrels and all.

I'm not sure I understand the point of these expensive wheel cleaners. Maybe if you have neglected wheels, they makes sense. If you clean your car at least once a month, I would think that soap, water and good brushes will have the same effect. I try to wash my car at least once every other week and have never had a problem.
      03-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #25
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Get some Wheel Woolies. Makes cleaning so much easier - It really cuts down on the time and you will end up with a pristine wheel, barrels and all.

I'm not sure I understand the point of these expensive wheel cleaners. Maybe if you have neglected wheels, they makes sense. If you clean your car at least once a month, I would think that soap, water and good brushes will have the same effect. I try to wash my car at least once every other week and have never had a problem.
Yea I used the Daytona wheel brush which is great for the barrels and in between the spokes but still leaves the face pretty dirty. I just dont think the Sonax cut down on my cleaning time at all which I was hoping it would.
      03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't use the wheel cleaner often. Every couple of months or so. What I do use is soap and water, a sponge and a Daytona brush.

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
      03-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
I honestly don't get the rave reviews of Sonax either. I purchased the buy 2 get one free from detailers domain and I'm pretty disappointed. It doesn't do anything normal shampoo and water can do in the same time or quicker. I just use my wheel woolies. I have not used it again since the first time I tried it a month or so ago.
      03-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I honestly don't get the rave reviews of Sonax either. I purchased the buy 2 get one free from detailers domain and I'm pretty disappointed. It doesn't do anything normal shampoo and water can do in the same time or quicker. I just use my wheel woolies. I have not used it again since the first time I tried it a month or so ago.
This is actually my experience as well. I bought a gallon back in the day and have used it maybe two or three times. This is because sonax isn't meant to be a maintenance wash for your wheels. It's really for the wheels that have been neglected for long periods of time. If your wheels are sealed then there is no need for sonax and soap and water with some elbow grease will yield beautiful clean rims. Even if your rims aren't sealed the same process will still yield clean rims as long you give them a good wash consistently rather than let them sit for a year. Trust me I've done this and I'm sure the protection on my rims is near gone at this point and I actually let a good amount of dirt build up on the rims before I tackle them and soap and water still gets it done. If there are some stubborn pieces I just hit it with af citrus power and that'll do the trick
      03-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant

Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Are you using this stuff weekly? I use it maybe monthly, just for iron buildup, which I find it pretty impressive.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #30
dmk08
///Maniac

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Are you using this stuff weekly? I use it maybe monthly, just for iron buildup, which I find it pretty impressive.
Nope only used it once. I wash my car every week so maybe I just don't ever get enough build up to need it. I wash it even if I dont drive it :X
      03-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #31
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .

I agree on wheel cleaners not making things much easier. Made a thread on autogeek about that awhile ago http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...l-cleaner.html

With that said, probably going to pick up some sonax before I use that armor all wheel protectant to make sure hard to reach places are clean.
      05-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #32
dmk08
///Maniac

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Resurrecting this thread...

I used Wolfs Decon Gel at the recommendation of my detailer and man its great. Cheaper than Sonax, works better, and you can use it on multiple surfaces.
      05-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #33
leo95se
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 JB e92, Q5 and passat

i buy it by the case. its the only product ive ever seen that always works. follow with a wheel brush dipped in soapy water, i never hand wash my rims any more.
leo95se is offline   United_States
      06-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #34
sterile stork
coupe la goon

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I picked up a set of wheels that appear to have been tended to with the Sonax/BMW cleaner. It is a bit of an etchant and when comparing the finish of these newer 220 wheels, to my 5 year old 220s that haven't seen Sonax, the older wheels win outright. While still great looking, the surface of the barrels is no where near as smooth, or deep looking. Don't shortcut the extra 45 minutes to clean the wheels with a brush and stool
sterile stork is offline   United_States
      07-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #35
Skippy989
Enlisted Member

Drives: M3 Coupe 6MT E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Unfortunately, that's not true. They do have the exact same bottle but the contents is different. Take it from someone who bought two bottles of the BMW wheel cleaner thinking it was the same. The BMW cleaner is about 50% as effective as Sonax. It has a different color and does not have a chemical reaction with brake dust - turning from green to purple as Sonax does.
      07-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #36
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Sonax smells like a chemical version of a Grapefruit. I like using it. I don't get to drive my car a lot; therefore, I wash it once a month, and I clean the wheels then.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      07-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #37
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3

I like the stuff so much I just picked up the 5L refill jug
lsmkr01 is offline   United_States
      07-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #38
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

The Sonax helps a lot if you have a pressure washer. I only wash my car once a month (yea yea I know), so the build up is pretty bad. Too busy at work at the moment.

But I will say there are cheaper products out there that do the same thing. I use Eagle One wheel clearner now. Like $5 a bottle, leave it on for about 2 mins, pressure wash wheels. Then go back with soap using Daytona brush, sponges ect...

P.S. Sonax would be useless if you didn't have a pressure washer IMO. I don't think it would significantly cut down your time.
      07-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy989
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Unfortunately, that's not true. They do have the exact same bottle but the contents is different. Take it from someone who bought two bottles of the BMW wheel cleaner thinking it was the same. The BMW cleaner is about 50% as effective as Sonax. It has a different color and does not have a chemical reaction with brake dust - turning from green to purple as Sonax does.
I stand corrected, just realized that

08-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
Raja Ventureshield
Banned

Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i like it for what it does. I hate the smell. I don't also like the cost, it's expensive. A big gallon is like 100$. :-(
Raja Ventureshield is offline   United_States
      08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #41
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Sonax is really an occasional use thing IMO. If you do a good enough cleaning you won't really need another sonax cleaning for awhile. It all depends on how often and how much you drive your car. I've only washed my wheels with soap and water for the past year (since sonax application) and I would say with just soap and water I can get them 99% clean. My car is garaged and driven 2-3 times a week so washes are more of a rare occurrence so the brake dust has time to sit on the wheels. All for reference
      08-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #42
JR M3

Drives: E46 M3

I liked the sonax so much that I went out and bought a 5L.

Unfortunately, I came across the einszett colourtec wheel cleaner right after. It works so much better than sonax. It doesnt drip off the wheel like sonax does, and it foams up when agitated with a brush. It even smells better too IMO. Price wise its almost the same
      08-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
Rev ///Me
My V8 Brings All the Boys to the Yard.

Drives: Something

WolfGang Wheel cleaner. Great stuff.
Rev ///Me is offline   United_States
      08-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #44
skins333
Captain

Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR M3 View Post
I liked the sonax so much that I went out and bought a 5L.

Unfortunately, I came across the einszett colourtec wheel cleaner right after. It works so much better than sonax. It doesnt drip off the wheel like sonax does, and it foams up when agitated with a brush. It even smells better too IMO. Price wise its almost the same
good to know, will try this next
skins333 is offline   United_States