BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #1
DJB335i
Private First Class
3
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: 335i ,twin turbo v8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Usa

iTrader: (1)

New job selling cars need advise

I currently work in the banking industry, Although I have found my self wanting a change I was offered a job at a car dealership selling new and used cars its a GM dealership. I was wondering if anyone can give me useful tips for selling. I am known to be a superior seller. With number one rankings in my current career. What kind of money can I make? This does not seem to be a very large dealership maybe 10 salesman.Also its going to be spring soon. I once sold cars many years ago and they paid me even if I did not sell any cars, I quickly left that job due to the bad economy but now that it seems to be picking up is it a good time to be selling cars? Also will I get paid even if I dont sell cars the first month ? Does anyone here sell cars Im very interested in learning as much as possible before my start date. I am a very positive person and friendly but anything will help I appreciate it thanks-Denise.
__________________
N54 335i JB4 G5 40% e85 60% 93oct.
forged built LSX ,wiesco pistons/ H rods,stock crank,stage 3 prc heads,232 cam, fast intake,twin 60mm turbos,intercooled,Built M12 t-56 trans,twin intank pumps 160lb injectors.812rwhp very rich supportin mods
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

someone once told me.... if you're going to sell cars, sell expensive ones.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
12
Rep
884
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (1)

advice: don't be annoying
__________________
instagram: @catherineanh
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
badazzm
Lieutenant
badazzm's Avatar
India
7
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
someone once told me.... if you're going to sell cars, sell expensive ones.
My buddy is Hyundai's internet sales manager here in San Jose. 29 yrs old and makes close to $200k. I do his taxes so I know. U just gotta know how to play the game. Cheap or expensive cars. It's another thing Hyundai is selling like cakes these days. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
My buddy is Hyundai's internet sales manager here in San Jose. 29 yrs old and makes close to $200k. I do his taxes so I know. U just gotta know how to play the game. Cheap or expensive cars. It's another thing Hyundai is selling like cakes these days. Haha.
No doubt you can make a good living selling cars. But it's doubtful any of the 10 sales people at a small dealer ship is making $200k. Even more doubtful that they have an internet sales manager position available or even an internet sales department. I know one thing is for sure. If one of the ten guys at a small dealership is making $200k a year; you don't want to work there because there can only be one big fish in that small of a pond.

I'm assuming the person that told me that did so because he assumed that expensive luxury cars were more recession proof than economy cars. But as you pointed out it seems that Hyundais are selling like crazy lately.

I'm currently in sales now and i figured if for some reason i needed to change something up, i'd take a swing a selling vehicles.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
amanda hor$t
Banned
27
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

iTrader: (0)

if i was to sell stuff, it'd be real estate. expensive houses. commission on a $2 million dollar house is 50k
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
badazzm
Lieutenant
badazzm's Avatar
India
7
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
No doubt you can make a good living selling cars. But it's doubtful any of the 10 sales people at a small dealer ship is making $200k. Even more doubtful that they have an internet sales manager position available or even an internet sales department. I know one thing is for sure. If one of the ten guys at a small dealership is making $200k a year; you don't want to work there because there can only be one big fish in that small of a pond.

I'm assuming the person that told me that did so because he assumed that expensive luxury cars were more recession proof than economy cars. But as you pointed out it seems that Hyundais are selling like crazy lately.

I'm currently in sales now and i figured if for some reason i needed to change something up, i'd take a swing a selling vehicles.
Well the guy who owns the dealership owns 18 others. My friend has been in car sales for 10 years. I don't know how he does it and neither do I care. All I know is how much he makes. At age 25, he made $120k. For a college dropout, that's not freaking bad. So its safe to say whatever he does to sell those cars, he does it right. Plus Hyundai's are selling like crazy no doubt. I see a lot of them here in bay area. Give it a try. Sky's the limit in sales if you have no cap. Not to say, no one will hire you to sell Ferrari's if you don't have solid prior experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Well the guy who owns the dealership owns 18 others. My friend has been in car sales for 10 years. I don't know how he does it and neither do I care. All I know is how much he makes. At age 25, he made $120k. For a college dropout, that's not freaking bad. So its safe to say whatever he does to sell those cars, he does it right. Plus Hyundai's are selling like crazy no doubt. I see a lot of them here in bay area. Give it a try. Sky's the limit in sales if you have no cap. Not to say, no one will hire you to sell Ferrari's if you don't have solid prior experience.
that's the best part about sales. To a point you can control you income.

The only hitch is individual markets. One can be ripe and another can be saturated. You pal is likely an exception though. If everyone selling cars could pull in $120k a year, everyone would be selling cars.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Lieutenant Colonel
36
Rep
1,940
Posts

 
Drives: I Can not say
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: you must not know

iTrader: (0)

The problem with selling cars is, to make money selling cars all you do is sell cars. If you are not working every day including weekends, you are not making money. It's good for a while, but it is hard on relationships, a difficult to have a life outside of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #10
badazzm
Lieutenant
badazzm's Avatar
India
7
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Well the guy who owns the dealership owns 18 others. My friend has been in car sales for 10 years. I don't know how he does it and neither do I care. All I know is how much he makes. At age 25, he made $120k. For a college dropout, that's not freaking bad. So its safe to say whatever he does to sell those cars, he does it right. Plus Hyundai's are selling like crazy no doubt. I see a lot of them here in bay area. Give it a try. Sky's the limit in sales if you have no cap. Not to say, no one will hire you to sell Ferrari's if you don't have solid prior experience.
that's the best part about sales. To a point you can control you income.

The only hitch is individual markets. One can be ripe and another can be saturated. You pal is likely an exception though. If everyone selling cars could pull in $120k a year, everyone would be selling cars.
Lol. U want me post his tax return? All I can say is I dont know how much people make selling cars but my buddy is making good money.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
badazzm
Lieutenant
badazzm's Avatar
India
7
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask
The problem with selling cars is, to make money selling cars all you do is sell cars. If you are not working every day including weekends, you are not making money. It's good for a while, but it is hard on relationships, a difficult to have a life outside of the dealership.
True. He does work all the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
Maestro
Captain
44
Rep
905
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
No doubt you can make a good living selling cars. But it's doubtful any of the 10 sales people at a small dealer ship is making $200k. Even more doubtful that they have an internet sales manager position available or even an internet sales department. I know one thing is for sure. If one of the ten guys at a small dealership is making $200k a year; you don't want to work there because there can only be one big fish in that small of a pond.

I'm assuming the person that told me that did so because he assumed that expensive luxury cars were more recession proof than economy cars. But as you pointed out it seems that Hyundais are selling like crazy lately.

I'm currently in sales now and i figured if for some reason i needed to change something up, i'd take a swing a selling vehicles.
Heed this warning, I was just about to say find out what dealership total yearly sales are both in $ and the number of cars moved and find out how many sales people they have and do the math. Yeah some dealer will pay you a small wage every month until you are "Fully Trained" but at some point you better be holding your own. I am not sure if this is still the case but there use to be a peeking order at dealer so the more senior guy with the biggest commission use get first pick as someone walks on the lot.

Personally I use to avoid this guy because he usually is less likely to cut you a deal the new hungry guy will cut his commission to move another car since there could to be bonus to those who sold more cars in a month.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Lol. U want me post his tax return? All I can say is I dont know how much people make selling cars but my buddy is making good money.
No. I'm saying he's the exception, because not everyone selling cars makes that much. Get it?
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,202
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Always
Be
Closing
This is true as well.

There is another great thing about selling cars. Most car salespeople suck.

It doesn't take much effort to be the best in regards to customer relationships. If you go above and beyond with the people you meet on the lot, give them great service you will soon start building a strong word of mouth marketing team out of satisfied customers.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Spool
******
Spool's Avatar
Vietnam
176
Rep
6,164
Posts

 
Drives: A few
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (24)

I used to sell cars, PM me if you want secrets, pay plans, the dirt inside dealership, and who not to fuck in the office.
__________________


MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
53
Rep
2,714
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

For every car sales person who makes $200k a year there are thousands who make $20k.

The problem with most car sales people is they are order takers. "A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy." If I was getting into that business I would certainly take advantage of marketing myself and my products socially...LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Sell to people, don't wait for them to buy from you.

Best of luck regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

advice 2: be hot
advice 3: don't listen to the con with the social worker gf
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
cuiter23
Major
cuiter23's Avatar
19
Rep
1,074
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i ZSP
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Always
Be
Closing
+1
__________________
2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
SDSmain
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: ///M / AMG
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR View Post
if i was to sell stuff, it'd be real estate. expensive houses. commission on a $2 million dollar house is 50k
Ummm... Maybe try upwards of 100K, 50K is very low
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
SDSmain
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: ///M / AMG
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB335i View Post
I currently work in the banking industry, Although I have found my self wanting a change I was offered a job at a car dealership selling new and used cars its a GM dealership. I was wondering if anyone can give me useful tips for selling. I am known to be a superior seller. With number one rankings in my current career. What kind of money can I make? This does not seem to be a very large dealership maybe 10 salesman.Also its going to be spring soon. I once sold cars many years ago and they paid me even if I did not sell any cars, I quickly left that job due to the bad economy but now that it seems to be picking up is it a good time to be selling cars? Also will I get paid even if I dont sell cars the first month ? Does anyone here sell cars Im very interested in learning as much as possible before my start date. I am a very positive person and friendly but anything will help I appreciate it thanks-Denise.
Try it. But don't be fucking the bosses daughter.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17
Rep
1,469
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
advice 2: be hot
advice 3: don't listen to the con with the social worker gf
advice 1: learn how to spell advice; HINT: not advise
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
amanda hor$t
Banned
27
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

iTrader: (0)

definitely sell houses instead... you're not stuck in a dealership all day, get to cruise and write off a nice 7er (it's for work)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST