BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #507
lutfy
Second Lieutenant
 
lutfy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT, 2005 997 C2S
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 213
iTrader: (1)

E90 M3 DCT
Track/course: Road Atlanta
Best Lap Time: 1:40.4
Brakes: Stock with PF08s front and back
Tires: 275*18 RA1s on 18*10Et 25 Enkei wheels
Suspension: EDC on Medium. GC Plates with -2.6 f camber, -1.8 rear
Other mods: 240E Software flash from the dealer

Even though it was in the high 30s this past weekend, I am REALLY disappointed with the stock brake system. Rotors cracked after 5 track days in total and PF08s gone in a weekend.
lutfy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #508
414bhp
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SF

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
E92 M3 6 Speed
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:43.1 (Lap 4 in video)
Brakes: Brembo 380 / Endless Pads
Tires: Toyo R888's 265/35/18 295/30/18
Suspension: KW V3, Vorschlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways
Other mods: Akra Evo, ESS Tune, M3 GTS Aero
Wow - awesome save in Rainey Curve, I am very impressed.
414bhp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #509
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,738
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
E92 M3 6 Speed
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:43.1 (Lap 4 in video)
Brakes: Brembo 380 / Endless Pads
Tires: Toyo R888's 265/35/18 295/30/18
Suspension: KW V3, Vorschlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways
Other mods: Akra Evo, ESS Tune, M3 GTS Aero

Nice driving.

You seem to be at Laguna Seca all the time. How come you don't go to Sonoma or Thunderhill?
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 02:37 AM   #510
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,780
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
Nice driving.

You seem to be at Laguna Seca all the time. How come you don't go to Sonoma or Thunderhill?
Sonoma doesn't have many dates and the price is almost double. Thunderhill is too far (requires me to drive a day early and stay the night).

To be honest, Sonoma scares me a little. I love thunderhill, but my wife is pregnant and doesn't want me to do a 2 day trip just for a track day for now. Laguna is better than nothing!
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #511
OC3
Havin' a blast!
 
OC3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,738
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Sonoma doesn't have many dates and the price is almost double. Thunderhill is too far (requires me to drive a day early and stay the night).

To be honest, Sonoma scares me a little. I love thunderhill, but my wife is pregnant and doesn't want me to do a 2 day trip just for a track day for now. Laguna is better than nothing!
When a bunch of us from SoCal went up last year in June and did those 3 tracks over a weekend, the impression I had was (I had not done those tracks before) that Laguna was the fastest track, but Sonoma is the trickiest and therefore potentially the most fun. Your car control skill appears to be good enough to enjoy Sonoma.

Why does Sonoma not have many dates? Are most available dates reserved by and for professional racing events?

Re: Thunderhill, man, if I couldn't stay overnight, I'd just drive up early in the morning. Looks to be only a 2 hour drive from the bay area. Congrats on the upcoming baby.
__________________

BRP CW13 1:58 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo BBK | Endless ME20 | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD
OC3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #512
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,780
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
When a bunch of us from SoCal went up last year in June and did those 3 tracks over a weekend, the impression I had was (I had not done those tracks before) that Laguna was the fastest track, but Sonoma is the trickiest and therefore potentially the most fun. Your car control skill appears to be good enough to enjoy Sonoma.

Why does Sonoma not have many dates? Are most available dates reserved by and for professional racing events?

Re: Thunderhill, man, if I couldn't stay overnight, I'd just drive up early in the morning. Looks to be only a 2 hour drive from the bay area. Congrats on the upcoming baby.
Yea Sonoma is very technical. The walls are what scare me the most there. I'm not sure why they don't have as many dates. I do know they are the most expensive track to rent.

Thunderhill is a 2.5 hour drive for me. Laguna is 1.5. I could drive in the morning, but I tend to have a hard time sleeping the night before track days so it's a big risk.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #513
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,330
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Track/Course: Houston MSR CCW
Best Lap Time: 1:45:68
Brake Pads: Stoptech SR34
Tires (Size & Model): 275/35R18 NT01s
Suspension: Dinan Stage 2, camber plates, OE non-EDC dampers
Other Mods: Stoptech BBK ST60/ST40, Apex ARC9 18x10 wheels, dinan exhaust

Not the exact video but you get the point. I'm only off the NASA TTB track record by 1 second in a 3700lb monster! I drive it way different than my E46...gotta throw that bitch around and keep her booty dancin'



But I do have the 1:45 lap on video...just from a different car.



Track/Course: Houston MSR CW
Best Lap Time: 1:46:69
Brake Pads: Stoptech SR34
Tires (Size & Model): 275/35R18 NT01s
Suspension: Dinan Stage 2, camber plates, OE non-EDC dampers
Other Mods: Stoptech BBK ST60/ST40, Apex ARC9 18x10 wheels, dinan exhaust

Enjoy the Meth Tical!

bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #514
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,233
iTrader: (0)

Some unbelievably awesome lap times being posted here Looks like they're all on R-comps, so I guess I know what I'll be trying this summer
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #515
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,233
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
When a bunch of us from SoCal went up last year in June and did those 3 tracks over a weekend, the impression I had was (I had not done those tracks before) that Laguna was the fastest track, but Sonoma is the trickiest and therefore potentially the most fun. Your car control skill appears to be good enough to enjoy Sonoma.

Why does Sonoma not have many dates? Are most available dates reserved by and for professional racing events?

Re: Thunderhill, man, if I couldn't stay overnight, I'd just drive up early in the morning. Looks to be only a 2 hour drive from the bay area. Congrats on the upcoming baby.
Yea Sonoma is very technical. The walls are what scare me the most there. I'm not sure why they don't have as many dates. I do know they are the most expensive track to rent.

Thunderhill is a 2.5 hour drive for me. Laguna is 1.5. I could drive in the morning, but I tend to have a hard time sleeping the night before track days so it's a big risk.
I hear ya on the sleep. That was an awesome video and the drama of the lap diff in real time was fantastic as well as a useful tool in review Man that video really makes me want to drive out
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #516
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 735
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
E90 M3 ZCP DCT
Track/course: VIR full course
Best Lap Time: 2:13.6
Brakes: stock calipers, PF08 Pads
Tires: Nitto NT01 275/35/18 square on Apec Arc 8
Suspension: Ohlins TTX 4 way adjustable
Other mods: none

first event with coilovers felt great, took off 2 seconds and haven't gotten them dialed in yet. fun.
See, this is exactly why i want to get some coilovers. well done!
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #517
SpiralOut
Captain
 
SpiralOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NC

Posts: 784
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
E90 M3 ZCP DCT
Track/course: VIR full course
Best Lap Time: 2:13.6
Brakes: stock calipers, PF08 Pads
Tires: Nitto NT01 275/35/18 square on Apec Arc 8
Suspension: Ohlins TTX 4 way adjustable
Other mods: none

first event with coilovers felt great, took off 2 seconds and haven't gotten them dialed in yet. fun.
Very nice. I think 2:13 was about the best I could get in my tuned 335 with coils, NT01's, and track pads. Haven't been with the M3 yet.... will prob be there in May with trackdaze.
SpiralOut is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #518
KEYON
Brigadier General
 
KEYON's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 RS5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LA x SD

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.83]
Such a great thread, nice lap time fellas! Hopefully one day I'll get to your levels

I'm just about to go to my 2nd track day next weekend. So fairly new to going to the track, but I love it. The first track day I did, I was in MDM. I've read that it's not proper to start out this way because you learn bad habits. So my question, is it extremely difficult to learn with DSC off? I prefer to learn the correct way to drive more than anything.

Also do you guys know where to buy good driving gloves? My palms tend to get a little sweaty after a while. I experienced that the first track day.
KEYON is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #519
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

Posts: 1,593
iTrader: (1)

Friend's 2013 M3
Buttonwillow C13 - 2:03:6
Stock except for hankook R-s3 285/265
Brembo Brakes
Dinan Muffler
__________________
13 E92 M3 ZCP
Stock w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:6 / ACS 1:56:7
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
TheKosherStogie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #520
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

E92 M3 DCT
Track/course: Buttonwillow CW13
Best Lap Time: 1:54.073
Brakes: Stoptech ST40 F&R, Endless ME20 Pads
Tires: Hankook TD 295/30/18 square
Suspension: Moton Clubsport
Other mods: R's Tuning X Aeromotions aero package, VF 620 SC kit, R's Tuning exhaust system.
Attached Images
 
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #521
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

Posts: 1,593
iTrader: (1)

Awesome time. How are you doing with the blower compared to be NA? Helping your times or not really? Maybe more at WSIR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
E92 M3 DCT
Track/course: Buttonwillow CW13
Best Lap Time: 1:54.073
Brakes: Stoptech ST40 F&R, Endless ME20 Pads
Tires: Hankook TD 295/30/18 square
Suspension: Moton Clubsport
Other mods: R's Tuning X Aeromotions aero package, VF 620 SC kit, R's Tuning exhaust system.
TheKosherStogie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #522
SP33DRCR
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, California

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Nice work, Mark. How did you like the 888s?

I am experiencing lots of wear on the outer half of the tread, both front and rear, with some feathering of the fronts due to slight understeer. But I'm running stock suspension with only the pins pulled in the front.

Are you going to be running the Apple event next Tuesday at Laguna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
E92 M3 6 Speed
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:43.1 (Lap 4 in video)
Brakes: Brembo 380 / Endless Pads
Tires: Toyo R888's 265/35/18 295/30/18
Suspension: KW V3, Vorschlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways
Other mods: Akra Evo, ESS Tune, M3 GTS Aero

SP33DRCR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #523
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post
Awesome time. How are you doing with the blower compared to be NA? Helping your times or not really? Maybe more at WSIR ?
It's faster for sure. If NA is faster than SC'ed, I would say that might be something going on.

It's my very first time to set up the car after SC'ed, I can see the car doing 1:52 after some minor suspension and aero tuning. I don't think any street legal NA M3 can do under 1:55 at Button.

SC'ed M3's are faster in general, but stop and go type of track layout will be benefit the most such as Laguna Seca, SOW, etc. Of course, anytime when we move from NA car to FI, we wouldn't expect they set up in the same way. That's why you might see some SC'ed M3's doing similar lap time to the NA.
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #524
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
 
jbraslins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 F80 SO M3 M-DCT, ETA July
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 397
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
E92 M3 6 Speed
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:43.1 (Lap 4 in video)
Brakes: Brembo 380 / Endless Pads
Tires: Toyo R888's 265/35/18 295/30/18
Suspension: KW V3, Vorschlag Camber Plates, RD Sport Sways
Other mods: Akra Evo, ESS Tune, M3 GTS Aero


What software/hardware are you using to get telemetry from your M3 and combine it with video?

Thank you!

P.S. Going to VIR in a month. I'll post my North Course lap times/video
jbraslins is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #525
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,780
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP33DRCR View Post
Nice work, Mark. How did you like the 888s?

I am experiencing lots of wear on the outer half of the tread, both front and rear, with some feathering of the fronts due to slight understeer. But I'm running stock suspension with only the pins pulled in the front.

Are you going to be running the Apple event next Tuesday at Laguna?
They are okay. I feel like I could use a bit more camber. Running -2.4 right now. Might try a bit more. They aren't that much better than ad08's to be honest. The price was right and I just wanted to give them a shot. Nothing beats personal experience.

I'll be at the apple event on Tuesday.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #526
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,780
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraslins View Post
What software/hardware are you using to get telemetry from your M3 and combine it with video?

Thank you!

P.S. Going to VIR in a month. I'll post my North Course lap times/video
Solo DL for data and dashware for visuals
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #527
ortho281
Captain
 
ortho281's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 646
iTrader: (0)

Track name: TWS (CCW)
Track location: College Station, TX
Lap time: 1:57.16 (Solo DL)
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3646lbs with driver
Estimated wheel horsepower: 350 HP
Tire size and model: 275/35/18 NT01s on Arc-8 18x10 wheels
Estimated ambient temperature: ~75F


Attached Images
 
__________________

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW S/O springs / Vorshlag plates / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / Cantrell Motorsports roll cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel

Last edited by ortho281; 03-19-2013 at 07:46 PM.
ortho281 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #528
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

Posts: 1,593
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
It's faster for sure. If NA is faster than SC'ed, I would say that might be something going on.

It's my very first time to set up the car after SC'ed, I can see the car doing 1:52 after some minor suspension and aero tuning. I don't think any street legal NA M3 can do under 1:55 at Button.

SC'ed M3's are faster in general, but stop and go type of track layout will be benefit the most such as Laguna Seca, SOW, etc. Of course, anytime when we move from NA car to FI, we wouldn't expect they set up in the same way. That's why you might see some SC'ed M3's doing similar lap time to the NA.
awesome thanks for the input
__________________
13 E92 M3 ZCP
Stock w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:6 / ACS 1:56:7
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
TheKosherStogie is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST