BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #133
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Custom made
Gotcha. I'd buy one if they were available.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #134
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Update 3:

Dammit. Im smelling something funky again. I drove for 30 minutes listening to a mix of all kinds of music and once I popped my trunk I could smell something. My LC2i was pretty dam hot to the touch too. Fail.

Looks like I'm soldering in those resistors tonight. Hopefully those will help. If not, Im done trying.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #135
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Update 3:

Dammit. Im smelling something funky again. I drove for 30 minutes listening to a mix of all kinds of music and once I popped my trunk I could smell something. My LC2i was pretty dam hot to the touch too. Fail.

Looks like I'm soldering in those resistors tonight. Hopefully those will help. If not, Im done trying.
Wonder if your stock amp is the issue. I bought a new one when I thought mine was having an issue but never installed it since the Navone seemed to do the trick.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #136
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,794
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Wonder if your stock amp is the issue. I bought a new one when I thought mine was having an issue but never installed it since the Navone seemed to do the trick.
It could be...
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #137
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
UPDATE:

The resistors appear to be doing the trick! My LC2i is still warm, but its not nearly as hot as it was before. I had to readjust gains to compensate the resistors, but so far it appears to be working. Ive only spent about 30minutes max in my car during a single drive with the music going, so Im not 100% sure Im in the clear. But so far it appears to be working.

I'll update again once I have an a hour or so more seat time with the music going.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #138
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Baugh! The LC2i cant handle 1hr worth of varied music. I had a nice drive down the freeway for an hour and once I got to my destination and opened my trunk, I could smell the LC2i. It was back to being pretty hot again too. I had a passenger with me who clearly said they smelled burning electronics coming from the LC2i too.

Dam. I just cant get a break!

Stay tuned... I have a custom super heavy duty passive LOC coming my way next!

Last edited by ILSMKU; 08-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #139
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
Baugh! The LC2i cant handle 1hr worth of varied music. I had a nice drive down the freeway for an hour and once I got to my destination and opened my trunk, I could smell the LC2i. It was back to being pretty hot again too. I had a passenger with me who clearly said they smelled burning electronics too.

Dam. I just cant get a break!

Stay tuned... I have a custom passive LOC coming my way next!
Sucks that this keeps happening. Still wondering if the stock amp is to blame though. Cause the continual search of other LOC's may just be trying to bandaid the real issue. Interested to hear about this custom LOC as well.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #140
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
UPDATE:
My custom made 250w per channel David Navone LOC landed and so far its working great! Its not pretty, but it does its job. Its so big that the they could not put a plastic case around it (they didn't have one big enough), so they used some very thick shrink wrap to protect it. I just taped it down next to my stock AMP. I played some music for a good hour or so straight and it didn't even get warm to the touch (stock amp did though). Hopefully this will solve my issues for good!

I honestly think this LOC sounds MUCH better than the LC2i. I think both of the David Navone LOCs I have/had sounded better. The LC2i seems to float or roll the bass to much. Even with Accubass off and the bass dial all the way down, the LC2i would just roll the bass much to long for my liking. So in a way, I'm happy the LC2i didn't work for me.

My old David Navone LOC took some time to melt, so I will montior this for some time. But according to David, this one handles 250watts per channel so shouldn't melt. Its a MONSTER! LOL.

Thanks to David Navone for taking my call and making me this one off custom LOC! If anyone is interested obtaining one, please call him directly. I wont mention price, but its NOT expensive at all!










.

Last edited by ILSMKU; 08-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #141
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Hope this one cures it for you. It's nice that he was able to make a custom one for you.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #142
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,794
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
UPDATE:
My custom made 250w per channel David Navone LOC landed and so far its working great! Its not pretty, but it does its job. Its so big that the they could not put a plastic case around it (they didn't have one big enough), so they used some very thick shrink wrap to protect it. I just taped it down next to my stock AMP. I played some music for a good hour or so straight and it didn't even get warm to the touch (stock amp did though). Hopefully this will solve my issues for good!

I honestly think this LOC sounds MUCH better than the LC2i. I think both of the David Navone LOCs I have/had sounded better. The LC2i seems to float or roll the bass to much. Even with Accubass off and the bass dial all the way down, the LC2i would just roll the bass much to long for my liking. So in a way, I'm happy the LC2i didn't work for me.

My old David Navone LOC took some time to melt, so I will montior this for some time. But according to David, there is no way this one is going to melt. Its a MONSTER! LOL.

Thanks to David Navone for taking my call and making me this one off custom LOC! If anyone is interested obtaining one, please call him directly. I wont mention price, but its NOT expensive at all!










.
I sent you an email some time ago... check the harness just in case one of its wires is making contact with the chassis somehow.

If all is well then I may replace the LC2i with this new Navone LOC in my harnesses if this ends up being the permanent solution. I never liked the LC2i (that Acubass circuitry is useless in our cars) anyways but everything else failed... until the LC2i itself failed as well.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #143
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I sent you an email some time ago... check the harness just in case one of its wires is making contact with the chassis somehow.

If all is well then I may replace the LC2i with this new Navone LOC in my harnesses if this ends up being the permanent solution. I never liked the LC2i (that Acubass circuitry is useless in our cars) anyways but everything else failed... until the LC2i itself failed as well.

There you are! I never got your email? Wait... yes I did. My bad. Its been in my spam folder on our mail server. My work email is horrid with spam.

I will check the harness when I get home. I'll take a good look at it to ensure nothing is touching. Of if you want to me shut it all down and send it to you, I can do that too.

Thanks and sorry I didn't notice your email. Our email server grabs it and I don't even get a notice or anything when it does.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #144
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
My custom Dave navone LOC is still going strong! I love this thing, it Just works and sounds so clean.
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #145
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
My custom Dave navone LOC is still going strong! I love this thing, it Just works and sounds so clean.
Good to hear!!
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #146
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
UPDATE: My car caught on fire and BURNED!!!!



HaHa, Just kidding! My custom LOC is still going strong! No issues what so ever. Dave Navone makes good shit!
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #147
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post
UPDATE: My car caught on fire and BURNED!!!!



HaHa, Just kidding! My custom LOC is still going strong! No issues what so ever. Dave Navone makes good shit!
My regular one still seems to be working ok although from time to time, I feel like the bass needs to be adjusted.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #148
ericruiz911
Captain
 
ericruiz911's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MIAMI, FL

Posts: 629
iTrader: (0)

any update on this? How's it holding up
ericruiz911 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #149
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,010
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
any update on this? How's it holding up
We aren't using the LC2i anymore, just the custom Navone ones.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #150
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,635
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericruiz911 View Post
any update on this? How's it holding up
We aren't using the LC2i anymore, just the custom Navone ones.
My custom one still works great!
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST