BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GT Haus

03-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #23
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5
I second, drop-in filter is fine. Maybe some intake scoops for cheap, if you can find 2nd hand ones.

The fancy intake systems might get you a few additional hp above a drop-in (maybe), but is it worth $500+ or more to attain, probably not.
+1
      03-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
So there are posts on this forum of SC guys experiencing considerably better gas mileage in mid 20s after SC.
They think they are but they are not. The sc is another accessory dragging on the crank. The larger injectors throw off the mpg computer, which uses injector pulse width and think the stock injectors are there and not open as much.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States

Drives: too many rides....

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
They think they are but they are not. The sc is another accessory dragging on the crank. The larger injectors throw off the mpg computer, which uses injector pulse width and think the stock injectors are there and not open as much.
Your explanation makes a lot of sense....I don't have experience with m3 supercharged cars however I do own a few s2000's and two of them are supercharged and I get CONSIDERABLE better gas mileage in the FI'd cars provided I don't push it too hard. In Honda's by going to a Flashpro ECU you gain a lot of efficiency in the way the car runs at partial throttle which is how most of us drive around town. In this type of loop, the car consumes much less gas and thus gives the car much more MPG. I actually get about 25 mpg in my blown s2000 and this was calculated by actual miles driven vs gas put into the tank.
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States

Drives: too many rides....

Send a message via AIM to s4play Send a message via MSN to s4play Send a message via Yahoo to s4play
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
I had the Macht Schnell Stage I and I currently have Gruppe M. As far a performance goes, I cannot really tell the difference. Both performed well and gave the engine a little extra growl. The Gruppe M, however, is really beautiful . I was going to go with a Dinan set up, but I bought the Gruppe M off this forum used and it came out to slighlty more than Dinan so it was no brainer for me. If you can find a used one in nice condition for a fair price then do it. If not, just drop in a filter.
Do you have a picture of your engine bay with the Gruppe M?

Anyone have one of the Dinan?

I'm very much an asthetics guy as well as fucntion so looks is important to me

P.S. I know this is a performance car but nothing wrong with wanting better MPG overall! My past IS-F also had a V8 and that thing is way better in terms of fuel comsumption.

And with "go get a Prius" comment, we already have a CT200h that gets 42+ and costs $35 to fill up so I know the pros/cons of both cars
10 Suzuka Grey R8 v10
*Gone, but not forgotten: (gt3/m3) http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=203205
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: e90 M3 DCT

I have a drop in filter, pulley, catted x pipe, and tune and I get 23-25 calculated mpg on the freeway (24-26 according to the car computer). Just saying... pretty decent mpg for a 400rwhp 4-door NA car ain't bad!

...don't talk to me about city tho.
      03-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4play View Post
^thanks guys for chiming in, really appreciate the input, guess I can spend my money elsewhere. Probably just get a drop in filter

Is there any reputable companies make CF accent parts for the engine covers?
Tecnocraft makes some nice parts.
      03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

If it affects power, it affects MPG as well. The more 'free' power your engine can make (ie - breathe in/out easier), the better the fuel economy CAN be (if the power gain isn't exploited, i.e. - you don't drive any differently). While factory ECUs may compensate, to a degree, for dirty air filters, fuel quality, octane rating, etc., they don't account for unintended variables (ie - owner modifies intake/exhaust). Will a drop-in K&N or AFE filter increase HP and/or MPG? Yes, but you'd have to drive across the country and back before and after in the same conditions to compare affects on MPG
      04-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #30
rs_evo8

Drives: 08 m3

I like many others on this forum wanted a louder induction note from my car but I refuse to spend $1500 on an intake system. I decided to purchase a K&N filter off amazon.com for $60. I installed it today and I was very impressed by the increase in volume of that amazing induction note! I doubt it added much power, but as with most high strung NA engines, adding power is very difficult.
Appreciate 0