BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

Any of the S/C kits out there have a CARB exemption?

Just wondering...seems to be a pain to have the car smogged every few years and having to deal with this.

In Cali we are suppose to do just a OBDII check to see if all readiness codes are green with no sniffer. Don't know if this won't preclude them from opening the hood and seeing a big old huffer under there.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Orange fever
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Orange fever's Avatar
 
Drives: E46M,E90M,X5M,135I
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in the hood!!!

Posts: 1,628
iTrader: (4)

Search is ur friend... This topic comes up every other week
__________________

X5M E70 Black Sapphire Metallic,VF Engineering Hex Flash Software,Vorsteiner-FrontSpoiler/RearDiffuser
/ 2011 135i/E82 N55 Aw (stock)
Orange fever is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
THE-FN-MAN
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3 x2
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: the wood

Posts: 838
iTrader: (0)

No kits are gonna pass smog man
THE-FN-MAN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,079
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
None will pass.

None of the sellers for BMWs seem to be at all interested in making a setup. Very low production numbers to make it worth the extreme cost.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

Not going to happen for me then..every few years to uninstal,l reinstall..not worth it.

Thats where you got to give credit where credit is due. Ford Racing Parts sells CARB exempt blowers for the Mustang GT. Full warranty for 3 years and it can be smogged.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Not going to happen for me then..every few years to uninstal,l reinstall..not worth it.

Thats where you got to give credit where credit is due. Ford Racing Parts sells CARB exempt blowers for the Mustang GT. Full warranty for 3 years and it can be smogged.

Dave
That's true. Good point
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,223
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Not going to happen for me then..every few years to uninstal,l reinstall..not worth it.

Thats where you got to give credit where credit is due. Ford Racing Parts sells CARB exempt blowers for the Mustang GT. Full warranty for 3 years and it can be smogged.

Dave
Yup, give credit to Weistec. Their kits for the M156 are 50 state CARB exempt.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

I wish BMW would do something like this..

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12402

This one has no warranty, you have to downgrade to 524hp. However, it is 50 state smog legal.

Not to mention only $7500.00 MSRP and can be had from a dealer for under $7k.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
LarThaL
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,554
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I wish BMW would do something like this..

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12402

This one has no warranty, you have to downgrade to 524hp. However, it is 50 state smog legal.

Not to mention only $7500.00 MSRP and can be had from a dealer for under $7k.

Dave
It's all about volume of sales. Look at the number of Mustangs vs. M3's. It's also why on a car like my old Nissan 350Z, I could buy fully forged 19 lb NISMO wheels for $525 each.

FWIW, the American muscle aftermarket scene is HUGE compared to the modding of high-end german cars.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #10
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 829
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
None of the sellers for BMWs seem to be at all interested in making a setup. Very low production numbers to make it worth the extreme cost.
Check out Weistec. I think there are more VT1 M3's out there than Stage 1 + 2 + 3... Weistec cars out there. Yet, Wiestec's kits can pass smog. When i took my Ferrari to dealer for service, there was a SC'd Ferrari 599. Novitec Rosso has sold less than 20 kits, and amazingly enough the kit cost is not alot more than what G-Power asks for their S85 kit. And unlike the G-Power, your Novitec Rosso Ferrari can pass any tests.

You are in the BMW tuning scene yourself. You know how shady it is. The low production number excuse is just meaningless when you consider the fact that M3 sc kits costs a whole lot more than what a similar kit for a Mustang for example costs.
Soorena is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
It's all about volume of sales. Look at the number of Mustangs vs. M3's. It's also why on a car like my old Nissan 350Z, I could buy fully forged 19 lb NISMO wheels for $525 each.

FWIW, the American muscle aftermarket scene is HUGE compared to the modding of high-end german cars.
Agreed, but there is also a marque factor. The fact its for a BMW it should cost more mentality. I mean a lot of these companies are using the same blower that US muscle uses. Such as the Vortech Strim which has been around since the mid 90s.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Yup, give credit to Weistec. Their kits for the M156 are 50 state CARB exempt.
Yes, agreed. Unfortunately they don't make kits for BMW M3's.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
Check out Weistec. I think there are more VT1 M3's out there than Stage 1 + 2 + 3... Weistec cars out there. Yet, Wiestec's kits can pass smog. When i took my Ferrari to dealer for service, there was a SC'd Ferrari 599. Novitec Rosso has sold less than 20 kits, and amazingly enough the kit cost is not alot more than what G-Power asks for their S85 kit. And unlike the G-Power, your Novitec Rosso Ferrari can pass any tests.

You are in the BMW tuning scene yourself. You know how shady it is. The low production number excuse is just meaningless when you consider the fact that M3 sc kits costs a whole lot more than what a similar kit for a Mustang for example costs.
Only the entry level stage 1 kit they sell is CARB, if you want the stage 2 or 3 they are not. CARB would be nice on all products for CA customers but it is soo easy to get around it I don't think it is really much of an issue. There are thousands of modified cars in CA that should not pass inspection that do.
BuckRodgers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,489
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Only the entry level stage 1 kit they sell is CARB, if you want the stage 2 or 3 they are not. CARB would be nice on all products for CA customers but it is soo easy to get around it I don't think it is really much of an issue. There are thousands of modified cars in CA that should not pass inspection that do.
I agree, its just when it comes to the blower its not so easily removed in a few hours like you can a xpipe.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

What if I were to keep the stock x-pipes with the stock cats?

I will be going with a VT2-585 because I think I prefer the peace of mind that comes with the intercooler. However, I've had the displeasure of driving behind catless cars, and I'd rather not put others in that situation.

I don't mind if I'll be losing 30-50bhp because of that, because my ultimate goal is to equal or just beat an LSA-powered 6MT CTS-V in straight-line performance. With a DCT, even a VT1 kit will do that I'm sure.

So, how will smog / OBD check react to a supercharged car running on software tune and stock cats? Up here I think they are getting rid of all sniffers and just doing OBD code reading now.
Veritable is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,079
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
What if I were to keep the stock x-pipes with the stock cats?

I will be going with a VT2-585 because I think I prefer the peace of mind that comes with the intercooler. However, I've had the displeasure of driving behind catless cars, and I'd rather not put others in that situation.

I don't mind if I'll be losing 30-50bhp because of that, because my ultimate goal is to equal or just beat an LSA-powered 6MT CTS-V in straight-line performance. With a DCT, even a VT1 kit will do that I'm sure.

So, how will smog / OBD check react to a supercharged car running on software tune and stock cats? Up here I think they are getting rid of all sniffers and just doing OBD code reading now.
You might get by as long as Canada doesn't have any kind of visual check.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned
 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

Posts: 1,740
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I agree, its just when it comes to the blower its not so easily removed in a few hours like you can a xpipe.

Dave
I dunno, man. Having to take it off every couple years doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, especially if done over a weekend. If I lived in CA, that wouldn't deter me.
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I wish BMW would do something like this..

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12402

This one has no warranty, you have to downgrade to 524hp. However, it is 50 state smog legal.

Not to mention only $7500.00 MSRP and can be had from a dealer for under $7k.

Dave
Dave,

Im in the same boat as you. I would go forced induction if there was a CARB exempt kit. Its definitely not worth $1k to uninstall and reinstall the kit every 2 years. I wish Downing Atlanta made CARB exempt SC's for BMW.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
ILSMKU
BMW FTW
 
ILSMKU's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ///OC

Posts: 1,644
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I wish BMW would do something like this..

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12402

This one has no warranty, you have to downgrade to 524hp. However, it is 50 state smog legal.

Not to mention only $7500.00 MSRP and can be had from a dealer for under $7k.

Dave
Dave,

Im in the same boat as you. I would go forced induction if there was a CARB exempt kit. Its definitely not worth $1k to uninstall and reinstall the kit every 2 years. I wish Downing Atlanta made CARB exempt SC's for BMW.
Since when do we have to smog every 2 years? I don't remember the last time I had to smog a car.
__________________
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST