BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Anyone here currently in the DMV area?

Can anyone offer me a ride and possibly a short drive in their M? I've been looking for a replacement for my aging 335i coupe for a while now and would really like to take a closer look at the M3. All of the dealer cars in the area are grossly overpriced and I don't want to have to fake interest in order to test drive one. I'd happily buy you lunch, drinks, prostitute, you name it! I live in Frederick, Maryland; but often travel to the Arlington and Foggy Bottom areas if there are any members nearby.
Thanks for any replies!
Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
24
Rep
1,241
Posts

 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA

iTrader: (1)

I'll help you out. I'll be in Arlington until the 4th (Split my time between DC and Pittsburgh.) I have an 08 DCT.

Last edited by LucWerkz; 03-01-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
toan414
Private First Class
toan414's Avatar
1
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

My car is within Metro Access. I am in Baltimore during the week, but weekends, I am in Hyattsville, near College Park. I am a block away from the PG Metro Station on the green line. I had an e92 335i for 2 years before I switched over.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

you looking into a new coupe or pre-owned sedan?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I'll help you out. I'll be in Arlington until the 4th (Split my time between DC and Pittsburgh.) I have an 08 DCT.
Great! I appreciate your offer! If you have the ability to meet sometime after noon on Sunday, that would be perfect for me. I'll PM you my contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
My car is within Metro Access. I am in Baltimore during the week, but weekends, I am in Hyattsville, near College Park. I am a block away from the PG Metro Station on the green line. I had an e92 335i for 2 years before I switched over.
Oh yeah? Any looking back or advice? I'll let you know if Red_Baron and I aren't able to meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
you looking into a new coupe or pre-owned sedan?
I'm looking at a 2011 e93 DCT, but it's in the mid-west.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
toan414
Private First Class
toan414's Avatar
1
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

PM me if you want to meet up and talk, it goes to my email which I check often. Im not on the forum much anymore. If it was a perfect world, I would own both. Definitely drive an M3 before you make your decision. To me, the two cars are totally different beast. I do miss my 335i from time to time, but I love the M3. I would do it all over again if I had to.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Pat@sonictuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Pat@sonictuning's Avatar
116
Rep
4,123
Posts


 
Drives: Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NOVA

iTrader: (124)

I owned M's but not am a Porsche owner test out a Porsche I promise you can't go wrong! I still love the Ms don't get me wrong but I don't know if I cannot have a Porsche in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #8
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
PM me if you want to meet up and talk, it goes to my email which I check often. Im not on the forum much anymore. If it was a perfect world, I would own both. Definitely drive an M3 before you make your decision. To me, the two cars are totally different beast. I do miss my 335i from time to time, but I love the M3. I would do it all over again if I had to.
That is my concern! I really do love my 335, but want a little more power and fear that it would come with the sacrifice of refinement (at least that's how it was with the higher hp 335s I've driven). Plus, that V8 sound is irreplaceable. I'll keep in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@sonictuning View Post
I owned M's but not am a Porsche owner test out a Porsche I promise you can't go wrong! I still love the Ms don't get me wrong but I don't know if I cannot have a Porsche in the garage.
Porsches are a little to rare in my town to own without being the center of attention (which I have little desire to be). They are great driver's cars from what I've heard though, you made a great choice! You and I met a few years back when I bought a set of your CSL replicas. Still love those wheels...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
5
Rep
495
Posts

 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (2)

I'm all over the DMV area every weekend on coding appointments. I'd be happy to show you my E90 M3 if you haven't found anyone yet. Just let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
ase2dais's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
9,875
Posts

 
Drives: a Cop Magnet
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 495 Ring

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
put me in queue.. Fill up my gas tank and give you a short 20 mile drive on a 09 e92 DCT M3. I drive, you enjoy the front seat view. No guest or guns btw just in case it's ploy for a carnap
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlosso View Post
I'm all over the DMV area every weekend on coding appointments. I'd be happy to show you my E90 M3 if you haven't found anyone yet. Just let me know.
Red_Baron came through on the test drive today! Very thankful to him and had a great time... Were you the one coding cars at Dogfish head last summer? I've been meaning to get in touch with you and attempt to fix the communication errors with my INPA software.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
36
Rep
1,915
Posts

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
The answer is YES, M all the wayyyyy. Former N54 owner with FBOs and don't miss it one bit.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
The answer is YES, M all the wayyyyy. Former N54 owner with FBOs and don't miss it one bit.
Really? Although I enjoyed the M3's performance, driving characteristics, and sounds VERY much; I missed my 335's torque. Overall, I couldn't justify the price and maintenance difference. I've driven a FBO+ 335 before and also didn't like it as much as my car (had minimal refinement, I felt like a "boy racer"). Many thanks to Red_Baron for helping me avoid a costly mistake! Now to test drive the ISF, e60 M5, M6, and RS4...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
01Lowboy
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
395
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 AW E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Va

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
Many thanks to Red_Baron for helping me avoid a costly mistake! Now to test drive the ISF, e60 M5, M6, and RS4...
Out of those cars I see you in an ISF just based off of your reasoning. The M5 and M6 are going to have much higher maint costs than the M3, and the RS4 is even older with just as high cost to maintain.
__________________

'08 AW 6MT E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #15
Merlosso
Banned
United_States
5
Rep
495
Posts

 
Drives: Results
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germantown, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
Red_Baron came through on the test drive today! Very thankful to him and had a great time... Were you the one coding cars at Dogfish head last summer? I've been meaning to get in touch with you and attempt to fix the communication errors with my INPA software.
Yep, that was me. PM me your email address and I'll help you with your INPA problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
toan414
Private First Class
toan414's Avatar
1
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Did you guys test drive the car slightly outside if the city? Jumping instantly into an M3 from a 335, you will notice the torque. But through refinement and level of foot comfort, that feeling will go away once you are used to the DCT. A prius can beat me at a light when I am not in a rush, in a rush, I have gunned it and saw that I was 15+ cars ahead of the crowd when the light turned green. I sat in a friend's 335 not too long ago and remember just how much the car pick up and miss that moment, but then that was it. I remembered everything else about the car. I was unlucky and was one of the reason why the 335i was recalled for fuel injectors. I had 12 injectors replaced under warranty.

I would say another drive in the M3 through better roads would show where it outshine a regular 3 series. Don't know where in Frederick you are, but my friend used to live behind the Home Depot on Rt 40. Even my car was high profiled there, I was followed by two of Fredrick's finest til I took the 70 exit out of the city. But driving Rt 40 westward into the hills with an M3 and it will wow you. A mix of highway and country roads is where an M3 should be.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
LucWerkz
Banned
No_Country
24
Rep
1,241
Posts

 
Drives: e70 X5 4.8i (Temporarily)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: DC/VA/MD/PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
Red_Baron came through on the test drive today! Very thankful to him and had a great time...
Nice meeting you yesterday Chris! If you want to drive the car again, just let me know. I'm in town every other week.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
36
Rep
1,915
Posts

 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Quote:
Originally Posted by listed5 View Post
Really? Although I enjoyed the M3's performance, driving characteristics, and sounds VERY much; I missed my 335's torque. Overall, I couldn't justify the price and maintenance difference. I've driven a FBO+ 335 before and also didn't like it as much as my car (had minimal refinement, I felt like a "boy racer"). Many thanks to Red_Baron for helping me avoid a costly mistake! Now to test drive the ISF, e60 M5, M6, and RS4...
I do miss the torque but overall, the M feels so much more refined (steering, handling, N/A satisfaction). E60 M5 tranny never did it for me... DCT is truly a work of art and makes the driving experience so much better. My friend recently got meth installed on 335 so we traded for a few days to play... he didn't wanna give the M back.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
117
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

OP, I think you should test drive an actual E93 DCT (the car that you want). A lot of ppl here have E90s, E92s, 6MTs...etc.

I had a good one hour test drive with a E93 DCT before. I can tell you that car is a bit different than a E90 6MT in many tangible aspects.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Lowboy View Post
Out of those cars I see you in an ISF just based off of your reasoning. The M5 and M6 are going to have much higher maint costs than the M3, and the RS4 is even older with just as high cost to maintain.
I would completely agree with this statement if only the ISF had folding rear seats, a better audio system, and weren't due for a re-design in 2014 (resale will probably plummet). BMW's logic 7 has very good performance... I also prefer a manual trans to be fully honest (hence the M5 and RS4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
Did you guys test drive the car slightly outside if the city? Jumping instantly into an M3 from a 335, you will notice the torque. But through refinement and level of foot comfort, that feeling will go away once you are used to the DCT. A prius can beat me at a light when I am not in a rush, in a rush, I have gunned it and saw that I was 15+ cars ahead of the crowd when the light turned green. I sat in a friend's 335 not too long ago and remember just how much the car pick up and miss that moment, but then that was it. I remembered everything else about the car. I was unlucky and was one of the reason why the 335i was recalled for fuel injectors. I had 12 injectors replaced under warranty.

I would say another drive in the M3 through better roads would show where it outshine a regular 3 series. Don't know where in Frederick you are, but my friend used to live behind the Home Depot on Rt 40. Even my car was high profiled there, I was followed by two of Fredrick's finest til I took the 70 exit out of the city. But driving Rt 40 westward into the hills with an M3 and it will wow you. A mix of highway and country roads is where an M3 should be.
The specific neighborhood (The Manor) you're talking about is pretty decent, but that is the roughest side of town. The police probably assumed you were selling/buying drugs, lost, or intoxicated. Haha. I'm sure the M3 is a beast on roads of that sort, but my travel is 95% highway... SO FAR (knock on wood), I haven't had any of the classic n54 issues, so I still enjoy the car quite a bit. This is a frequent consideration of mine though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Nice meeting you yesterday Chris! If you want to drive the car again, just let me know. I'm in town every other week.
Sounds great Luc, I really appreciate your hospitality! Give me a shout the next time you make the trek to Summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
I do miss the torque but overall, the M feels so much more refined (steering, handling, N/A satisfaction). E60 M5 tranny never did it for me... DCT is truly a work of art and makes the driving experience so much better. My friend recently got meth installed on 335 so we traded for a few days to play... he didn't wanna give the M back.
I can understand all of this! The DCT is everything anyone could ask of a transmission, while the steering and handling feel exactly as a performance car should. M3 is undoubtedly the better car, the price difference combined with my intended purpose just don't make sense (stupid logical side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
OP, I think you should test drive an actual E93 DCT (the car that you want). A lot of ppl here have E90s, E92s, 6MTs...etc.

I had a good one hour test drive with a E93 DCT before. I can tell you that car is a bit different than a E90 6MT in many tangible aspects.
For the better or worse? After driving an e92 DCT, I can only imagine the e93 would feel even slower given the additional weight. Still hard to deny the appeal of a convertible in those good weather months.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
gapbound
Private
gapbound's Avatar
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
My car is within Metro Access. I am in Baltimore during the week, but weekends, I am in Hyattsville, near College Park. I am a block away from the PG Metro Station on the green line. I had an e92 335i for 2 years before I switched over.
Hey I just picked a 08 M3 up yesterday and live in College Park, do you do coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
listed5
Private
1
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Frederick, Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapbound View Post
Hey I just picked a 08 M3 up yesterday and live in College Park, do you do coding?
I have the hardware and software, but after replacing my hard-drive and reloading the software I had, I keep getting communication errors in INPA. There is a guy in Germantown (he posted on this thread) whom has quite a bit of coding experience.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST