BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (2)

Eibach Pro Plus Kit-Thoughts/Comments/Reviews?

I have an E90 M3 with no EDC. Price + Drop are the reason I'm considering the kit.

Can you guys chime in on your thoughts on getting it? My only concern is with the stiffer roll bars...last thing I want is a bone jarring ride.

Link to the product: http://performance-suspension.eibach...stems/pro-plus
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips
Click Picture below for Journal


checkmate is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Moxie's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

Posts: 1,855
iTrader: (11)

I didn't notice much, if any ride difference.
Moxie is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I didn't notice much, if any ride difference.
Ride difference from stock? I was hoping it would be less bouncy considering I do not have EDC currently.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips
Click Picture below for Journal


checkmate is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 837
iTrader: (1)

I can't imagine stiffer springs would provide any less bounce...just the opposite. In addition the closer you get to the bump stops, the more bounce you'll get from rebounding off them. If you think the ride has bounce, you should be looking at different shocks....not springs.
__________________

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
 
checkmate's Avatar
 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

Posts: 1,302
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I can't imagine stiffer springs would provide any less bounce...just the opposite. In addition the closer you get to the bump stops, the more bounce you'll get from rebounding off them. If you think the ride has bounce, you should be looking at different shocks....not springs.
I'm debating if I should invest in a proper set of coilovers vs springs.

The large sampling in m3post recommend a coilover set up however considering my car is under warranty-not sure which way to go. I am looking for less bounce + smoother ride. Is it possible?
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips
Click Picture below for Journal


checkmate is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,029
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I've never seen a set of coilovers that offered as good of a ride as springs only or stock suspension. Coilovers handle better but on the downside, normally the ride is worse.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,983
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I've never seen a set of coilovers that offered as good of a ride as springs only or stock suspension. Coilovers handle better but on the downside, normally the ride is worse.
Try a set of Ohlins DFV coilovers. They work wonders in absorbing bumps and keeps the car stuck to the ground like glue. You can hit potholes at full speed and have no jolt to the car (assuming the car isn't slammed). The most comfortable and best handling suspension I've ever had.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,029
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Try a set of Ohlins DFV coilovers. They work wonders in absorbing bumps and keeps the car stuck to the ground like glue. You can hit potholes at full speed and have no jolt to the car (assuming the car isn't slammed). The most comfortable and best handling suspension I've ever had.
Lotta money though...$3100!! Hard to justify the cost for what the OP really wants I think.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 837
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
I'm debating if I should invest in a proper set of coilovers vs springs.

The large sampling in m3post recommend a coilover set up however considering my car is under warranty-not sure which way to go. I am looking for less bounce + smoother ride. Is it possible?
I've never ridden in a non-EDC car but you might have a blown shock (warranty). Do you know anyone else that has a non-EDC car to compare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I've never seen a set of coilovers that offered as good of a ride as springs only or stock suspension. Coilovers handle better but on the downside, normally the ride is worse.
You must have only ridden in a car that had stiffer springs/firmer damping. There's no denying a proper coilover has the makings to ride better than stock...better valving, response, heat resistant, adjustability...people just tend to stiffen things up with coilovers. Case in point...think trucks and offroad. You can setup a coilover to handle offroad imperfections...but would probably show major weakness when you introduced a grippy street tire.

BUT, you're right...stock usually has the best compromise because millions of hours and dollars (euros) are spent developing.
__________________

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,029
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I've never ridden in a non-EDC car but you might have a blown shock (warranty). Do you know anyone else that has a non-EDC car to compare?



You must have only ridden in a car that had stiffer springs/firmer damping. There's no denying a proper coilover has the makings to ride better than stock...better valving, response, heat resistant, adjustability...people just tend to stiffen things up with coilovers. Case in point...think trucks and offroad. You can setup a coilover to handle offroad imperfections...but would probably show major weakness when you introduced a grippy street tire.

BUT, you're right...stock usually has the best compromise because millions of hours and dollars (euros) are spent developing.
Most coilovers are going to come with stiffer springs though so they already start on a bad foot.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,983
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Lotta money though...$3100!! Hard to justify the cost for what the OP really wants I think.
Yeah, I didn't get them for the M3. It costs much more for the M3 than other cars.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
edwinm3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
edwinm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral

Posts: 1,700
iTrader: (8)

OP springs should be all you need. Replacing the rear bar is a bit of work and not really worth it. I have Eibachs with stock EDC and car is pretty good and I do track at least once a month
__________________

Evolve Stage 2, GTS-DCT Software, Akrapovic Exhaust, AA Catless X Pipe, AA Geen Air filter, AA Pulley, Stoptech BBK, KW V3 Coilovers
"If it feels like it's on rails, you're not driving fast enough"
edwinm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,259
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Most coilovers are going to come with stiffer springs though so they already start on a bad foot.
Stiffer springs doesn't automatically mean harsher ride provided that the matching dampers are valved to compliment the spring rate. On another car I had I went from one coilover to another. The first used 420lb progressive springs and the second used 600lb/850lb linear springs. The ride on the second set was much better than the first. It's all about how the system as a whole works, not just the springs.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,029
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Stiffer springs doesn't automatically mean harsher ride provided that the matching dampers are valved to compliment the spring rate. On another car I had I went from one coilover to another. The first used 420lb progressive springs and the second used 600lb/850lb linear springs. The ride on the second set was much better than the first. It's all about how the system as a whole works, not just the springs.
I didn't say automatically but in general.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST