BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

02-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #45
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Costco is actually a major wholesaler and refiner of gas here in Northern California. Shell, Chevron and a lot of smaller gas companies purchase gas from the Costco refinery and add their own additives to it. You see their tankers pull up to fill up at their refinery.

So whether you want to use Costco or not, you are probably pumping Costco gas into your car.

I use Chevron or 76 but I have no problem with Costco gas. I just don't have Costco membership and the lines are super long for Costco gas. I try to avoid Shell if I can.
Not true, Costco does not refine their own fuels as they have no refinery assets, they contract with all major producers. You could get any one of the top brands at any given time. I have always preferred to stay with one brand and actually the same marketer of that brand. One of the big factors among most fuels is the ethanol content.

http://t.costco.com/gasoline-q-and-a.html
      02-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
Arben72
Banned

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
How come BP is not on that list and its the only one recommended by the manual. I use it most of the time, BP invigorate 93% octane
My m3 started choking on 93 from BP. I guess it's station dependent.
I only use 93 shell ethanol free, except for the few times I'm almost out of gas in Chicago.
Arben72 is offline   Albania
      02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #47
anacondatp
Private First Class

Drives: 10' E92 M3 6MT

i have always been using costco. cheap, convinient, and 3% cash back. i personally don't think mileage or performance will vary dramatically between different brand of the same type of gas
      02-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #48
dsm918
Captain

Drives: 2009 SG E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacondatp View Post
i have always been using costco. cheap, convinient, and 3% cash back. i personally don't think mileage or performance will vary dramatically between different brand of the same type of gas
+1. No issues. Just filled from Costco today at $3.99/Gallon for 93 Octane. Compare that to $4.17 at other local stations
      02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #49
Dkhan23
Banned

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3 View Post
hahahahahahaha !
You might want to ask yourself what they do with the extra 87 octane from the tanker truck once the underground tank is filled up and there is fuel leftover in the truck.........In goes the 87 with the 91 ......
Why would their be left over gas? They have a reading machine that automatically tells them how many Gallons/liters their is in the underground tank and they order accordingly to that... They don't just randomly call and say "we need gas" they check the Veeder-Root (machine that tells them how many liters or gallons they have in the underground tank) and call their supplier and tell them how many gallons they need.... I would know I own a gas station
      02-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
1MtoM3
HayZeus

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkhan23 View Post
Why would their be left over gas? They have a reading machine that automatically tells them how many Gallons/liters their is in the underground tank and they order accordingly to that... They don't just randomly call and say "we need gas" they check the Veeder-Root (machine that tells them how many liters or gallons they have in the underground tank) and call their supplier and tell them how many gallons they need.... I would know I own a gas station
I was told this by a gas station owner 6 or 7 years back in montreal .
Don't know the details on how he ran his business though .

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
1MtoM3 is offline   Canada
      02-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #51
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Depends on the region, doesn't it? For example, driving to an event in Hastings, Nebraska, I was surprised that gas over 89 octane was very hard to come by. Turns out that a chain called [correction: Pump & Pantry] had the best gas around.

Nice to see Rebel is on that list, btw. 100 octane in Las Vegas at select stations.

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5

Last edited by llis; 02-27-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: correcting information
llis is offline   United_States
      02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
Dkhan23
Banned

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3 View Post
I was told this by a gas station owner 6 or 7 years back in montreal .
Don't know the details on how he ran his business though .
Yeah, not sure how he was running his business, you gotta know how many liters or gallons you're selling and how much you're ordering so you know how much money your bringing in and how much you owe your supplier. And if some gas station is putting in 87 octane in the 93 octane underground tank you could sue their ass.
      02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #53
e1000
that's what SHE said!

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Gasoline is a fungible commodity. Large oil companies buy and trade gas all the time. Base gasoline may come from any of the large manufacturers, often times from a central distribution center. The different brands then add their additive packages, and that's the difference from one brand gas to the next. I suppose there could be different standards on tank/pump quality, etc as well.
      02-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #54
Br3an3do5n
Private First Class

Drives: e90 m3

I only use BP 93 and have on all my cars.
But on topic, I've heard costco gas is good. They have a high refill rate, meaning their gas is "fresh". I mean everytime I go there the lines are full at the pumps.
Br3an3do5n is offline   United_States
      02-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #55
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: .

Anyone have info on the costco additives used and how they compare?

Use costco from time to time without any problems. Not going to wait in line though. Early in the morning or late weekday evenings there's typically no wait...with the crowd just like any gas station for the most part.

I'll use what's convenient or nearby though, unless I know another station typically has lower prices.