BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

ESS VT-1 550 Acting Weird

Hey guys,
Just seeing if any other VT1 owners can chime in on this. I just had the kit installed about a little over a week ago. I have put over 500+ miles on the car since. The car pulls like a friggin freight train However tho On first initial start-up the car idle's jumps like crazy and once in a while I will get the engine malfunction light ( limp mode) only on first start. I turn the car off and turn it back on and then it's fine? Also I am located in Jersey and it's been in the 30's the past week or 2. Thanks guys.
__________________
2010 E90 M3 MODS: ESS VT-1 550-BMW CF splitters, Rear spoiler, afe intake, ESS tune, Fully catless, Borla Axle back, fabspeed xpipe, RD springs, BMW V2 performance steering wheel, TO many to list
SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

I probably should also note that everytime I try to scan it for codes the car never wants to throw anything. (of course my luck). I'm gonna take a video of a cold start and let me know what you guys think. Thanks again
__________________
2010 E90 M3 MODS: ESS VT-1 550-BMW CF splitters, Rear spoiler, afe intake, ESS tune, Fully catless, Borla Axle back, fabspeed xpipe, RD springs, BMW V2 performance steering wheel, TO many to list
SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
NikB316
Lieutenant
NikB316's Avatar
14
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Michael,
Post a vid I'd love to check it out. I'm guessing this is only on cold start? With my first kit I would need to let the car sit for 20 seconds after cold start as the revs would go really low if I put it into reverse immediately and would sometimes stall. On my own laziness I never brought this up to get it addressed.

Now with my new kit my revs do jump up on cold start (maybe 2500k?). It is always fine after sitting for say 20 seconds and I've never had it go into limp mode because of it. I would take a video but my car is in PA getting a rear diff brace. Post it up if you can, would be really interesting to see if your car is doing the same thing as mine. Active will see if its software related once I get my car back. Interesting nevertheless. BTW if you got your kit put on at AutoCouture Lalit & Tommy has seen my car do this as well.

My o2 sensor was bad and my idle controller valve was throwing a code too but since replacing the o2 sensor neither have come up again. I'm going to scan the car when I get it back to make sure there aren't any hidden codes coming up.

All of the tuners seem to be in warm weather places so we need to work on them getting offices here.

Fellow FI love
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
erm324
Major
No_Country
29
Rep
1,055
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
Hey guys,
Just seeing if any other VT1 owners can chime in on this. I just had the kit installed about a little over a week ago. I have put over 500+ miles on the car since. The car pulls like a friggin freight train However tho On first initial start-up the car idle's jumps like crazy and once in a while I will get the engine malfunction light ( limp mode) only on first start. I turn the car off and turn it back on and then it's fine? Also I am located in Jersey and it's been in the 30's the past week or 2. Thanks guys.
Never had a single hiccup with the ESS kit. Give Sal@ACM a call or PM roman, theyll take care of you. Maybe you need a different file.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
GOLFFRR's Avatar
269
Rep
17,311
Posts


 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

Im sure Roman will chime in but you can always shoot Roman@ESS a pm and he will answer any of your questions or concerns very promptly.

congrats on the kit!!
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->bmwdavid@icloud.com or 202-262-2900
David's ED special ALL M cars-->http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042739
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
m33
Banned
m33's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
2,697
Posts

 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (5)

I don't understand why wouldn't you Pm or call ESS.... Heck call ACM , your not gonna get any help from
Anyone in here.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Roman@ESS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Roman@ESS's Avatar
108
Rep
2,663
Posts


 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
Hey guys,
Just seeing if any other VT1 owners can chime in on this. I just had the kit installed about a little over a week ago. I have put over 500+ miles on the car since. The car pulls like a friggin freight train However tho On first initial start-up the car idle's jumps like crazy and once in a while I will get the engine malfunction light ( limp mode) only on first start. I turn the car off and turn it back on and then it's fine? Also I am located in Jersey and it's been in the 30's the past week or 2. Thanks guys.
I would suggest taking the car to ACM and have them check it out, they are your closest authorized service dealer. Having any issues with stalling on startup is not normal even in cold temps.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
NikB316
Lieutenant
NikB316's Avatar
14
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

I'm sure a video or more information on the fix would help others who may have a similar problem. Contacting ESS or the installer is the way to get it solved but it definitely helps to post this stuff for the community...
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
I don't understand why wouldn't you Pm or call ESS.... Heck call ACM , your not gonna get any help from
Anyone in here.
I talk to sal on a daily basis. We do business together. Anyways just wanted other people with the same kit to give some feedback or any information is much appreciated.
__________________
2010 E90 M3 MODS: ESS VT-1 550-BMW CF splitters, Rear spoiler, afe intake, ESS tune, Fully catless, Borla Axle back, fabspeed xpipe, RD springs, BMW V2 performance steering wheel, TO many to list
SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
9
Rep
941
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33
I don't understand why wouldn't you Pm or call ESS.... Heck call ACM , your not gonna get any help from
Anyone in here.
This. Too many cooks...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316 View Post
Michael,
Post a vid I'd love to check it out. I'm guessing this is only on cold start? With my first kit I would need to let the car sit for 20 seconds after cold start as the revs would go really low if I put it into reverse immediately and would sometimes stall. On my own laziness I never brought this up to get it addressed.

Now with my new kit my revs do jump up on cold start (maybe 2500k?). It is always fine after sitting for say 20 seconds and I've never had it go into limp mode because of it. I would take a video but my car is in PA getting a rear diff brace. Post it up if you can, would be really interesting to see if your car is doing the same thing as mine. Active will see if its software related once I get my car back. Interesting nevertheless. BTW if you got your kit put on at AutoCouture Lalit & Tommy has seen my car do this as well.

My o2 sensor was bad and my idle controller valve was throwing a code too but since replacing the o2 sensor neither have come up again. I'm going to scan the car when I get it back to make sure there aren't any hidden codes coming up.

All of the tuners seem to be in warm weather places so we need to work on them getting offices here.

Fellow FI love
Thanks for your help! Of course I just tried to take a video and the car was flawless. (My luck)
__________________
2010 E90 M3 MODS: ESS VT-1 550-BMW CF splitters, Rear spoiler, afe intake, ESS tune, Fully catless, Borla Axle back, fabspeed xpipe, RD springs, BMW V2 performance steering wheel, TO many to list
SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Last night getting into my car at first start up it threw DBC, DSC, and engine malfunction. Turned the car off. Then back on and it's fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
I would suggest taking the car to ACM and have them check it out, they are your closest authorized service dealer. Having any issues with stalling on startup is not normal even in cold temps.
Thanks roman
__________________
2010 E90 M3 MODS: ESS VT-1 550-BMW CF splitters, Rear spoiler, afe intake, ESS tune, Fully catless, Borla Axle back, fabspeed xpipe, RD springs, BMW V2 performance steering wheel, TO many to list
SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
Mr.MichaelM3
First Lieutenant
Mr.MichaelM3's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
336
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dirty Jersey

iTrader: (0)

And to all you who are FI. I'm sure you're all running VT2 and not the VT1
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Sal@AUTOcouture's Avatar
143
Rep
9,653
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (29)

Send a message via AIM to Sal@AUTOcouture
You're running low on xenon fluid. Bring it in, we'll top you off
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
NikB316
Lieutenant
NikB316's Avatar
14
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
Thanks for your help! Of course I just tried to take a video and the car was flawless. (My luck)
I hear ya well I'm sure you'll have it taken care of...good ppl over at ACM. Enjoy the FI - it really turns the M3 into another beast. Let us know how it goes and if you do get a video would love to see if its anything like mine.
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
You're running low on xenon fluid. Bring it in, we'll top you off
I am low too, please send me a bottle.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
chris3g
Private First Class
2
Rep
189
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.MichaelM3 View Post
And to all you who are FI. I'm sure you're all running VT2 and not the VT1
I have a vt1 (hopefully not for too much longer, want to upgrade soon ) , and I get a little bouncing idle on a cold startup, I think it's normal. Never once had a stall or code/limp mode though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
j2m
Colonel
j2m's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,452
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
I have a vt1 (hopefully not for too much longer, want to upgrade soon ) , and I get a little bouncing idle on a cold startup, I think it's normal. Never once had a stall or code/limp mode though.
Same here.

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM THOUGH. Mainly happens in the snow but whenever I disable DTC and mash the pedal my car goes sideways and sometimes spins in circles
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #20
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
tha_good_life's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
3,914
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Same here.

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM THOUGH. Mainly happens in the snow but whenever I disable DTC and mash the pedal my car goes sideways and sometimes spins in circles
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
lenzm3edan
First Pride
lenzm3edan's Avatar
22
Rep
1,411
Posts

 
Drives: E90, Mercedes C300, subi
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut..

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Same here.

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM THOUGH. Mainly happens in the snow but whenever I disable DTC and mash the pedal my car goes sideways and sometimes spins in circles
I have the same problem, I think BMW did a recall.
__________________
ESS VT-2 595 silverstone E90 /// M3 - 6spd - AD08 - Spacers - H&R - AA exhaust - Primary cat delete - Custom test pipes - ESS tune - Lighted ZHP.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Same here.

I AM HAVING A PROBLEM THOUGH. Mainly happens in the snow but whenever I disable DTC and mash the pedal my car goes sideways and sometimes spins in circles
Mine does that when it's dry.

Shitty BMW, never buying another one!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST