BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source

02-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #23
slicer
Brigadier General

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Totally spacer manufacturer and car model dependent. The MS spacers I have sit flush on the M3 hub no problem but it does have more of a bevel around hub lip. The issue here is with non-OEM wheels which may not have the bevel. OEM wheels clear no problem. So the problem is opposite what you describe.

Other manufacturer/car combos may have the hub-to-spacer issue that you describe. Totally up to spacer design.
Thanks for posting the pictures! I did not know there was a difference in taper between the 10mm and 12mm+ spacers. I think we both may be right on this one.
KW Clubsport 3-way, Akrapovic Evolution, ESS Tune, StopTech Trophy, IND Euro Bumper & Black Mirror Covers, Turner Motorsports Studs/Lugs & Delrin Diff Bushings, MRF Solid Sub-Frame Bushings, RD Sport Sways, Recaro Profi-XL & Planted Seat Brackets, BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, BMW Edition Grills/Gills, Mode Carbon GT4 Splitter & GTS Wing, Advan TC3 (18x9.5/10.5), BBS E05 (18x10/11), G-Force Rivals (275/295)
      02-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #24
M3SQRD
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
He quoted Turner's site in regards to the 10mm spacer as using caution when using their spacer. It's not to say it can't be done.
Turner had that quote up when they made two-piece spacers (hub extender + a flat spacer) in 8, 10 and 12 mm sizes.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
      02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Turner had that quote up when they made two-piece spacers (hub extender + a flat spacer) in 8, 10 and 12 mm sizes.
Hub extenders do not fit E9X chassis as they have a tapered inner hub.
      02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #26
M3SQRD
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
My guess is that the tolerances are tight and maybe turner has seen some small variations in the OEM hub height and then there is the issue with the taper that one of the other posters outlined. The 10mm spacer gives no margin for error; while 12mm+ is a guaranteed fit. I think the only way to truly determine whether it won't be a problem for your given set-up is to do a test fit. I would start by inserting the spacers into the wheel to insure it can sit flush (no interference with the taper). Then I would separately place the spacer on the car and insure it can sit flush (no interference with the hub). If both of those things check out then you should be good.
As others have already pointed out, Turner now designs their spacer with a stepped hub chamfer which provides sufficient clearance so their 10 mm spacer will not "bottom out" on the end of the hub and prevent the spacer from sitting flush against the mounting face of brake disc.
      02-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Hub extenders do not fit E9X chassis as they have a tapered inner hub.
Correct and thanks for stating it
      02-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

The consensus is most 10mm spacers work fine for the M3 with OEM wheels. Other fitments vary.

Since spacers are sold as universal fitment, they may not work on all hub/wheel combinations. I think Turner just puts up the 10mm spacer warning to tell people this.

An example is the F30 3 series has some variations in hub size as noted by Turner:
Quote:
F30 3-series On the 2012+ F30 3-series models, the available hub depth can vary. This can have an impact on what spacers will fit over the lip and flush against the brake disc hat. It's also different on the front and rear. Measuring the existing hub depth is required before ordering spacers. Selecting a spacer that does not fit securely over the lip will require modification/shaving/trimming of the lip until the spacer sits securely.
Z K is online now   United_States