BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
PPM Stroker kit

I was searching in PPM (Pure Performance Motorsport) site and found out they have a stroker kit for our cars. I don't know if it's a repost or not. It's nothing new though since the site shows they have had it since December 2011.

Quote:
PPM-RACING BMW S65B40 4.7L Custom Stroker Kit:

Forged Pistons + H-Beam Connecting Rods + Billet 4340 Crankshaft Combo for BMW S65B40 V8 4.7L Stroker



PPM is proud to release the products you have all been asking for! Our new range of PPM Forged Pistons and H-Beam Connecting Rods and Billet 4340 Crankshaft are a must for your high power engine build. Specifically designed for professional racers, our Conrods & Pistons are ready to cope with the stresses of high compression, high RPM and mega boost. Our engineers have combined the highest quality alloys, the very latest forging & machining technologies. The result is best Forged Pistons + Connecting Rods and Billet 4340 Crankshaft on the market, ready for any abuse you can throw at them.


Comp ratio from: 10:1 or 11.5:1 or 12:1



Piston Size:



92.00mm, 92.5mm,93mm,94mm


This kit includes:

8x Forged Pistons, Rings, gudgeon pins, spiral locks, 2x Coatings

8x H-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP2000 Rod Bolts.

1X 84mm Stroke 4340 Billet Crankshaft



Other Strokes(82mm,83mm) also avaliable upon Request!
What's really interesting is the price, at $8,999.00 it looks like a bargain compared to what Dinan and RDSport asks. (Don't know how much VAC asks for their stroker)

http://www.pureperformancemotorsport...roducts_id=513
Soorena is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
BMWJ
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 312
iTrader: (0)

probably cheaper because it's just engine parts
BMWJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Curt2000
Colonel
 
Curt2000's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sin City

Posts: 2,412
iTrader: (21)

Yeah it's DIY meaning you have to disassemble the motor, send the block off to be machined, reassemble with the new parts and tune...probably a $5k+ job depending on what shop you go to.
__________________

Current Car: '13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP (ED Thread)
Former Cars:'10 E90 335i MSport / '07 Interlagos ///M5 / '09 135i / '10 E93 335i
Instagram: @C2KMotorsports
Curt2000 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You are right. But if you actually look at what both Dinan and RD Sport do and how much money they ask for it, this DIY stroker still looks like a bargain. RD Sport RS46 treatment costs $32,800 (Stroker, headers, exhaust, tune). Dinan's S3-R package costs $31,200 (2mm extra bore, stroker kit, exhaust, tune, intake, pully, ported throttle bodies)
Soorena is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

84 x 92.0 = 4.46L
84 x 92.5 = 4.52L
84 x 93.0 = 4.56L
84 x 94.0 = 4.66L

$9k seems way too cheap. Pictures show rods aren't Carrillo, and pistons aren't Mahle. You get what you pay for !
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
kiln
Lieutenant
 
kiln's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to kiln
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
84 x 92.0 = 4.46L
84 x 92.5 = 4.52L
84 x 93.0 = 4.56L
84 x 94.0 = 4.66L

$9k seems way too cheap. Pictures show rods aren't Carrillo, and pistons aren't Mahle. You get what you pay for !

I would not say that is cheap for a stroker parts only kit... since u own a bmw u r most likely getting ripped off on the parts you bought.
kiln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,317
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
I would not say that is cheap for a stroker parts only kit... since u own a bmw u r most likely getting ripped off on the parts you bought.
You do not get ripped off because of it being a BMW, parts for our cars are more expensive because of limited volume. Parts for a domestic car can be cheaper because of the volume they can sell.

The S65 is only in an M3 but a GM LS for example is in almost every GM vehicle under the sun....... of course our parts will cost more.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
kiln
Lieutenant
 
kiln's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to kiln
So I guess the custom billet cranks, rods and pistons I order for my race engines is not low volume... I really do not care to argue but when someone says "the pistons and rods are not carrillo and mahle", does not mean whatever is being used is shit. Just because thats what ESS uses in their built engines doesnt mean its the best thing on the planet and the only thing you can run. I run carrillo rods in my engines but there are many equivalent alternatives out there.
kiln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
meinauto
Private
 
Drives: E92 335
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Malaysia

Posts: 89
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
So I guess the custom billet cranks, rods and pistons I order for my race engines is not low volume... I really do not care to argue but when someone says "the pistons and rods are not carrillo and mahle", does not mean whatever is being used is shit. Just because thats what ESS uses in their built engines doesnt mean its the best thing on the planet and the only thing you can run. I run carrillo rods in my engines but there are many equivalent alternatives out there.
Agree - carrillo and mahle are not gold standards
meinauto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,317
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln View Post
So I guess the custom billet cranks, rods and pistons I order for my race engines is not low volume
Depends what you have for a race engine?
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
84 x 92.0 = 4.46L
84 x 92.5 = 4.52L
84 x 93.0 = 4.56L
84 x 94.0 = 4.66L

$9k seems way too cheap. Pictures show rods aren't Carrillo, and pistons aren't Mahle. You get what you pay for !
That's not cheap actually. Others have overpriced kits. A good piston is a good piston, it can be made in by big names or unknown companies. And from what it looks like, PPM actually makes high quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
You do not get ripped off because of it being a BMW, parts for our cars are more expensive because of limited volume. Parts for a domestic car can be cheaper because of the volume they can sell.
We do. Check out the SC kits for our cars. High output versions cost more even though they share hardware with lesser versions (minus injectors and pully). So why there is a big price difference between these versions?
Soorena is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiln
Just because thats what ESS uses in their built engines doesnt mean its the best thing on the planet and the only thing you can run.
It has nothing to do with ESS and everything to do with the Alusil block. The Mahle pistons I'm talking about (and used by Dinan, ESS, and RD-Sport) are manufactured to be compatible with the Alusil block. Not sure if these are...but highly doubt it.For a race car that is rebuilt after every few races, these pistons might not matter. But for a street-car stroker...it probably does.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinauto View Post
Agree - carrillo and mahle are not gold standards
I'll take your word for it,So basically you know better than the BMW engineers that did all the R&D and chose Mahle over other pistons ?
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #14
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
That's not cheap actually. Others have overpriced kits. A good piston is a good piston, it can be made in by big names or unknown companies. And from what it looks like, PPM actually makes high quality stuff.
When i decided to build a VT3.It took me 3 months to figure what brand i'm going with for pistons. At the end i decided to go with Mahle,the cost was much higher than other brands. Almost double but i wanted it done right.
Haven't found another company that can match the behavior of the Mahle piston,also compatibility with the Alusil cylinder walls.
Now if i would sleeve my block and ditch the Alusil,yea i can go for any reputable piston brand i want. Nothing beats Mahle IMO in the S65 unless proven wrong.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
kiln
Lieutenant
 
kiln's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to kiln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
This! I'd stay far away from this.
said the noob.
kiln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #16
p-streets
M3NTAL
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

Posts: 298
iTrader: (1)

Sounds good but either way your going to spend good money. I'll keep saving up for one of the other stroker builds.
p-streets is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
kawasaki00
Major
 
kawasaki00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 1,110
iTrader: (4)

Being that this is a engine that is not on every street corner I would choose what is known to work, if the mahle pistons and carrillo rods work thats what I would use. Now is mahle and carrillo the best, ABSOLUTELY not. Mahle is mediocre and carrillo really are not high end anymore. No high spec race engines use carrillo anymore. Period.
__________________
Electronics Junkie, Engine Builder.
kawasaki00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
kiln
Lieutenant
 
kiln's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to kiln
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Being that this is a engine that is not on every street corner I would choose what is known to work, if the mahle pistons and carrillo rods work thats what I would use. Now is mahle and carrillo the best, ABSOLUTELY not. Mahle is mediocre and carrillo really are not high end anymore. No high spec race engines use carrillo anymore. Period.

yea really... people act like they are reinventing the wheel here by just adding a modified piston to lower compression and replacing some components with higher strength ones.

Now if we were building some custom 9300++ RPM S65(The higher the better for me ) and really started modifying the drivetrain I could justify high costs and would buy one. For what those people are payin for stroker engines and built LC engines and what they are getting out of it is disappointing in my eyes. To each their own.
kiln is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #19
Soorena
Captain
 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

Posts: 826
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
When i decided to build a VT3.It took me 3 months to figure what brand i'm going with for pistons. At the end i decided to go with Mahle,the cost was much higher than other brands. Almost double but i wanted it done right.
Haven't found another company that can match the behavior of the Mahle piston,also compatibility with the Alusil cylinder walls.
Now if i would sleeve my block and ditch the Alusil,yea i can go for any reputable piston brand i want. Nothing beats Mahle IMO in the S65 unless proven wrong.
I hear you loud and clear. Going with the best is the way to go and you definitely went with the best. However, my point is Mahle, CP, Wiesco etc... are just names. Some buy products because of their names, some buy products because of the products themselves. Most of the times great products come from great names at great cost. But sometimes you see massively overpriced items from big names and yet you notice people buy them just because when they compare the overpriced-item A to the overpriced-item B and C on the market, they found the price is nice and competitive. In this case i believe Dinan and RD Sport are just selling their kits mostly because of their names not because of the value of the kit; And when we find a reasonably priced kit like this PPM kit, it makes us believe that something must be wrong with it because it's too cheap and nothing is cheap unless something fishy is going on with it. The fact is, it isn't cheap. Others are overpriced.

As for the alusil block, Honestly i don't know what's the deal is with the Alusil block and what's the right piston for it. But the S62 has been around for sometimes and it seems it's doing good with aftermarket pistons. Wish we had more S62 specialists in here.
Soorena is offline   Iran
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
I hear you loud and clear. Going with the best is the way to go and you definitely went with the best. However, my point is Mahle, CP, Wiesco etc... are just names. Some buy products because of their names, some buy products because of the products themselves. Most of the times great products come from great names at great cost. But sometimes you see massively overpriced items from big names and yet you notice people buy them just because when they compare the overpriced-item A to the overpriced-item B and C on the market, they found the price is nice and competitive. In this case i believe Dinan and RD Sport are just selling their kits mostly because of their names not because of the value of the kit; And when we find a reasonably priced kit like this PPM kit, it makes us believe that something must be wrong with it because it's too cheap and nothing is cheap unless something fishy is going on with it. The fact is, it isn't cheap. Others are overpriced.

As for the alusil block, Honestly i don't know what's the deal is with the Alusil block and what's the right piston for it. But the S62 has been around for sometimes and it seems it's doing good with aftermarket pistons. Wish we had more S62 specialists in here.
While I'm all for getting parts cheaper and avoiding the dreaded M tax, unknown parts will likely bring unknown problems. I wouldn't trust a part that I don't know the specifics about. Since PPM likely does not manufacture a single product they are offering in this kit, I wanna know who makes them and what the specs are. *EDIT* According to their website, "Pure Performance Motorsport has built a reputation as one of the leading manufactures of connecting rods for high performance engines. Our rods are a precision, high strength, quality piece. We have a growing number of satisfied clients who have engines putting down serious numbers!" I have still never heard of them.

In this case, being cheaper isn't really better until all the facts are out there.
__________________

Last edited by THE TECH; 02-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
From what i read, it sounds like img did his research and was open to options and learned a few things that made him feel it was best for his M3 to be paired with Carrillo and Maehle. If I was considering such mods, I would be asking img to gain whatever knowledge i could since he has spent a lot of time making decisions beyond price of parts and names of manufacturers.

Just my two cents...
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
ppm, stroker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST