BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #1255
r0wr
New Member
0

 
Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I dont love BBRY for the long run(i.e.-many yrs), I do like it for a IT trade(months to a year)...here are few excerpts from Seeking Alpha article that describes how I feel about this trade...its the 80M subscribers that will drive this stock as many of them will want to finally upgrade to a real smartphone even if it isnt any better than a iphone or android.

BTW, great trades on AAPL...20K, very nicely done.


Thanks. As I stated before, I reopened another long position in AAPL. I bought 495 calls @ 1.80. I'd love to see another bump but I'm honestly expecting a pull back soon as I don't believe it'll break the IT trend line. I really hope it does though.

I'll take a look into BBRY. If it hits 13's, I'll definitely consider it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1256
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
38

 
Hisam135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,161
iTrader: (0)

Got in on eur/usd right at stochastic turnaround on daily at1.3397 sold at 1.3491
__________________
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #1257
r0wr
New Member
0

 
Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
AAPL chart above posted on 1/25/13 when people calling for 300's...hard to buy when AAPL got axed by 60 pts in a day...you have to use the charts and to overcome fear to make some...AAPL bounced exactly where predicted.


BBRY making a ahuge symmetrical triangle? I sort of like that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #1258
PSUSMU
Captain
23

 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA


Posts: 812
iTrader: (1)

Any thoughts on BBRY today? It's throwing me for a spin.
Put in a buy order at 13.10, but I missed it. Now kicking myself.

Last edited by PSUSMU; 02-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #1259
mact3333
Captain
36

 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW


Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

Posted earlier this week that I am seeing a IT top and needed to hedge all my long positions...sold half my BBRY earlier this week and put a stop on rest at break even point...will hold FB and AAPL as I am hedged with short positions.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #1260
335iRlz
Major
23

 
Drives: 335i RiP,M3,f10m5 gone, m4
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD


Posts: 1,332
iTrader: (3)

I got pummeled on that CTL 22% drop
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #1261
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
6

 
slamako's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario Canada


Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Vanity--are you setting up at TVIX trade? I'm eyeing that this week. Volitility at an all time low and with sequestration looming, I'm sure some Vol will get kicked back in.

The only kicker is how much government intervention (money printing) will suppress the volitility.

--------------------
Lastly-anybody else here a subscriber to TastyTrade?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #1262
r0wr
New Member
0

 
Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Rotation is just barley starting: out of hi betas, into staples (KO, MCD), and into other dividend paying stocks (safer). If you haven't closed out some of your longs, now is the time to do so. We're in for a correction. IMO, today's decline is considered a buy and we'll try one more time up before we see a true top.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #1263
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
90

 
Vanity's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada


Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamako View Post
Vanity--are you setting up at TVIX trade? I'm eyeing that this week. Volitility at an all time low and with sequestration looming, I'm sure some Vol will get kicked back in.

The only kicker is how much government intervention (money printing) will suppress the volitility.

--------------------
Lastly-anybody else here a subscriber to TastyTrade?
Just happened to click the thread and saw my name! After the +10 move in SPX yesterday I exited my vol short position. I was expecting a dip today but I don't think anyone saw -20 SPX points today. Here's the kicker. Today the index lost -1.25% but cash VIX popped 19%. Not sure if you're familiar with vol but that is much too high of a jump. Usually correlated around +5-9% on the spot VIX when the index sells off 1% like this. Instead, we saw +19% which means we either go to hell tomorrow to justify this VIX pop (another -20 point day) or this vol is coming down. Here's a fact though: 10% of the VIX call volume was from ONE very large trader. This trader SOLD his long vol positions into the close today, which tells me even he realizes this was overdone today. I am short fol as of the close of the index. XIV @ $21.98. Time stamped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
Rotation is just barley starting: out of hi betas, into staples (KO, MCD), and into other dividend paying stocks (safer). If you haven't closed out some of your longs, now is the time to do so. We're in for a correction. IMO, today's decline is considered a buy and we'll try one more time up before we see a true top.
Vol would agree with you. If we get a flat to up day tmr, $vix could drop 6-12%, driving down futures by a lesser amount (probably 4-8%). This would hurt the most people. We would run up again, make a second lower high and then kaboom (possibility). $vix spike might have just been a warning flare, not the actual Calvary yet.

P.s. never touch TVIX, the vehicle does not track it's NAV correctly and will piss you off trying to capitalize on VIX spikes. Go with VXX. Never touch 2x Vix etfs unless you seriously want to not be able to cover your losses when it goes down.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #1264
r0wr
New Member
0

 
Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Just happened to click the thread and saw my name! After the +10 move in SPX yesterday I exited my vol short position. I was expecting a dip today but I don't think anyone saw -20 SPX points today. Here's the kicker. Today the index lost -1.25% but cash VIX popped 19%. Not sure if you're familiar with vol but that is much too high of a jump. Usually correlated around +5-9% on the spot VIX when the index sells off 1% like this. Instead, we saw +19% which means we either go to hell tomorrow to justify this VIX pop (another -20 point day) or this vol is coming down. Here's a fact though: 10% of the VIX call volume was from ONE very large trader. This trader SOLD his long vol positions into the close today, which tells me even he realizes this was overdone today. I am short fol as of the close of the index. XIV @ $21.98. Time stamped.



Vol would agree with you. If we get a flat to up day tmr, $vix could drop 6-12%, driving down futures by a lesser amount (probably 4-8%). This would hurt the most people. We would run up again, make a second lower high and then kaboom (possibility). $vix spike might have just been a warning flare, not the actual Calvary yet.

P.s. never touch TVIX, the vehicle does not track it's NAV correctly and will piss you off trying to capitalize on VIX spikes. Go with VXX. Never touch 2x Vix etfs unless you seriously want to not be able to cover your losses when it goes down.
I agree with what you said. There is actually a 75% chance of an up day tomorrow from my back test given such a big spike in VIX with such a small down day from SP500. In terms of the intermediate, I'm still bullish. Home builders took a fat hit today a well. Consider shorting XHB if you agree.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #1265
amanda hor$t
Banned
36

 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny


Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

still holding steady with my french and german big caps here... yawn

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 02-21-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #1266
roastbeef
Captain
United_States
25

 
roastbeef's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 849
iTrader: (0)

thoughts on SNY (sony)?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #1267
mact3333
Captain
36

 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW


Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
Posted earlier this week that I am seeing a IT top and needed to hedge all my long positions...sold half my BBRY earlier this week and put a stop on rest at break even point...will hold FB and AAPL as I am hedged with short positions.

Called for IT top a week ago...hope you guys listened...yeah the big picture over the next year is still up but hard to ride out a IT top unless you hedge your longs with short positions.

Divergences showing up weeks ago....sentiment was too high...need a reset.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #1268
mact3333
Captain
36

 
mact3333's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' Audi S4
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pacific NW


Posts: 781
iTrader: (1)

anyone getting afraid yet?....prob not...too early for fear...that will come abit later...


.........
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #1269
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
6

 
slamako's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario Canada


Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post

P.s. never touch TVIX, the vehicle does not track it's NAV correctly and will piss you off trying to capitalize on VIX spikes. Go with VXX. Never touch 2x Vix etfs unless you seriously want to not be able to cover your losses when it goes down.
Thanks for the tip. New to Vol trading. I'm planning to jump out by month's end. I want to have fear and uncertainty brew over the weekend.

Would you say the same applies for any leveraged (double/triple) underlying?

Since you mentioned this, I will watch this trade tighter. Thanks.
I'm on the right side of the trade (thus far) but will watch the decay.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #1270
PSUSMU
Captain
23

 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA


Posts: 812
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
anyone getting afraid yet?....prob not...too early for fear...that will come abit later...


.........
Scared money don't make money.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #1271
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
90

 
Vanity's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC, Canada


Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamako View Post
Thanks for the tip. New to Vol trading. I'm planning to jump out by month's end. I want to have fear and uncertainty brew over the weekend.

Would you say the same applies for any leveraged (double/triple) underlying?

Since you mentioned this, I will watch this trade tighter. Thanks.
I'm on the right side of the trade (thus far) but will watch the decay.
TVIX.IV will tell you how much the product should be worth. Tbh, choose UVXY over TVIX if you are going to be doing a 2x VIX long. Just remember that the collapse of volatility is fast and going at 2x the speed is dangerous when you're on the wrong side. Case in point, UVXY dropping 10% in 30 mins today.

Also, I averaged my XIV position today into the black. Sold earlier in the day and then bought back into XIV at $20.89, right before that epic vol collapse today. VIX was definitely over priced on the ST and this will cause a bounce back rally that might go to 1520 or even 1530 before a large (possible) correction takes place. 1500 held well today. As of this writing, SPX was up around +6 on ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Scared money don't make money.
+1. Money must be an army that we send out daily. And what we want is for them to take back prisoners so we can send them out to get more prisoners.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1272
slamako
Metal cutter
Canada
6

 
slamako's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i 08 6MT Sed Red Met.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario Canada


Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Vanity-I locked in a profit in TVIX and got out. Thanks for the tip.

Waiting for a GLD, SLV bottom and go.
Will try my first option trades (covered calls and naked short puts) once I get my account authorized.

To All-any advice to a newbie in Options? Should I go directly into a spreading strategy? (verticals?)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #1273
PSUSMU
Captain
23

 
Drives: Entry-level Luxury
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA


Posts: 812
iTrader: (1)

BBRY is scaring me. Nibbled on a lil more at $13.25.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #1274
Inspired
Colonel
77

 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California


Posts: 2,254
iTrader: (2)

BBRY is all over the place. If $13 don't hold I can see it go back to $12 really quickly
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #1275
r0wr
New Member
0

 
Drives: Beater
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0wr View Post
Rotation is just barley starting: out of hi betas, into staples (KO, MCD), and into other dividend paying stocks (safer). If you haven't closed out some of your longs, now is the time to do so. We're in for a correction. IMO, today's decline is considered a buy and we'll try one more time up before we see a true top.
As stated, the declines were considered a buy and I still see us trying the top again before we see a true reversal.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #1276
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
38

 
Hisam135i's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamako
Thanks Vanity-I locked in a profit in TVIX and got out. Thanks for the tip.

Waiting for a GLD, SLV bottom and go.
Will try my first option trades (covered calls and naked short puts) once I get my account authorized.

To All-any advice to a newbie in Options? Should I go directly into a spreading strategy? (verticals?)
If your looking at GLD watch for support at 155
__________________
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST