BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

08-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #67
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

That's why I believe a GT3 or RS version of the Cayman S would be the best solution. I don't think many who would consider the base 911 or even 911S would be the sort who would buy something like an RS. Especially if it was 993 Carrera RS rather than 997 GT3 inside.
      08-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #68
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
That's why I believe a GT3 or RS version of the Cayman S would be the best solution. I don't think many who would consider the base 911 or even 911S would be the sort who would buy something like an RS. Especially if it was 993 Carrera RS rather than 997 GT3 inside.
A Cayman RS, that would be a car for the weekend...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 06:52 PM   #69
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Autocar is a joke.

Let's take the M3 and see how it performs vs. the RS4 in standing water. LMAO!

Then, lets get a ton of facts incorrect.

Looking forward to the new EVO competition with other M's.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #70
Raptor1
Registered
Rep
Drives: x E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
It's amazing to me that the new M3 is picked 3rd out of 5 cars in this review, especially considering how old the RS4 design is. Not good for BMW. Say what you want about Audi but the RS4 motor was an incredible feat at the time and is holding up just fine against the competition. 0-150 times for the RS4 were amazingly close to the M3 considering drivetrain loss due to all wheel drive. Now that Audi is repositioning their motors farther behind the front wheels, they will handle better in all aspects. The new RS4 with a bump in horsepower may be scary car indeed.
I agree, this about sums up things in reality. I been watching this debate both in forums and in the mags, but the bottom line is that the new M3 despite a further 2 years of development over the RS4, doesn't really move the game on. Whilst nominally better in some areas (the Track) in the real world the RS4 still has it beat I'm afraid! Personally, I'd have my previous model back in a minute over this new one and I've decided to cancel my order for the new one. I know it's a matter of taste and no doubt some of you will still want one and here in the UK all the allocation for this year have been sold. It will still be a huge sucess for BMW make no mistake, but as the posts on this site demonstate it has caused devide over a car that was previously a peach. In addition, IMHO it can't compare on looks to my beloved previous model.

I'm afraid I'm off to look at an RS4 avant, as it's the only one still available new.

I sincerely hope BMW moves it's game on before I can return to the fantastic M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #71
Niro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 C4S Cab (after M3)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
This looks a fair bit nicer than the E92 wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I've been a critic of the new BMW interior "language" since the 7 Series debuted in MY2002. I just can't stand the flat dash with that slab of trim, the double hump and the elimination of the driver's slanted console, I just can't.

When the 5 Series debuted in MY2004 I remember being in the dealership and comparing side to side an E39 interior with the then-new E60. Layout and materials were simply absurd compared to the E39. I do understand that there are new interior finishing processes that discarded the "old" way of simply covering the dash and plastic trim in doors and center consoles with padded vinyl and now there are robots spraying plastic pellets into interior surfaces to get that texture finish. But for me it seems that this new trim and dash surfaces look and feel cheap compared with the vinyl process... perhaps because it is in fact a cheaper new process to begin with.

BMW seems to me that realized that on time, because in the MY2006 E90 the plastics were much better, and they even "upgraded" the interior of the 7 Series also with better materials ("better" process, perhaps?). The X3 and the new X5 also have much better interior materials than before. So I don't think that in the new M3 the materials are going to be as bad as before, actually it will have a little more leather standard (middle console is wrapped in leather) than the E46 M3's.

With all that said, the "flat camel looking straight" layout is just killing what used to be the BMW perfect package IMO: a cockpit interior as great as the exterior as great as the drive. Unfortunately for me, the new M3 also have this interior...

Which is ironic when in the new 135i the interior looks more BMWish than any other BMW now, with a cockpit layout, the driver's slant of the middle console and no double hump when iDrive is present. To make matters worse, Cinnamon looks to be eliminated as an option for leather as well as no LSB or Kiwi, replaced by some Tan/Sand color that is so blah-blah lame (at least in the photos published) IMO compared with even the Lemon color leather offered in the regular 3 Series. At least in the E46 you could have an M3 interior in the USA that could be mistaken for an Individual at least in color, without paying Individual prices for the option.

Hope that BMWNA can come up with some USA leather colors that are really M3ish, or at least offers Individual right from the get go...

I entirely agree with everybody that feels that the interior of the E46 was better, though I have to concede that the interior of the new 3er feels a little-bit more modern. The "old" BMWs had driver-focussed layouts that felt special, and were coherent in design and flow. I always felt comfortably cocooned whilst driving the E46, E39, etc.
The new planar-style dashes are rubbish, and yes, whilst the quality of the materials may have improved recently, I still feel that the interiors have more of a Japanese-feel. Having said that, I always found that the E46 Sat Nav screen was too low, and the Z4 and 1er learnt from Lexus that the flip-up screen had numerous advantages. The camel-humps in interiors new feel bulbous, but they have functional purpose since the screens are more in the driver's field-of-vision.
I guess we have to move with BMW's new design philosophy, but I hope that BMW continues to design cars for the driver! One thing that they screwed-up with, is not offering H.U.D. in the new M3! :mad:
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #72
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Autocar is a joke.

Let's take the M3 and see how it performs vs. the RS4 in standing water. LMAO!

Then, lets get a ton of facts incorrect.

Looking forward to the new EVO competition with other M's.
Such a joke that they refused to time the car on the dry track because it was wet?