BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
86
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: E60
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Fanboi's Don't Click Here...

...Not the 599 GTO, or a P Car, or even a Veyron SS...

A 20 year car veteran whose driven the most exotic cars in the world narrows it down to this one car... A LEXUS.

If you hold Jeremy Clarkson's reviews with any credibility, what do you think of this?

Here is the link to the full review:


http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lfa-...er-driven.html
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
SaMaster14
Major
SaMaster14's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 335iS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA / Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [3.95]
Send a message via AIM to SaMaster14 Send a message via Skype™ to SaMaster14
I may be one of the few, but I've always loved the LFA!
__________________
~2012 BMW 335iS coupe MINERAL WHITE/CORAL RED

http://instagram.com/samaster14/
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
MediaArtist's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,186
Posts

 
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Love the engineering that went into this car.
__________________
'13 Audi A6
'07 Porsche GT3 RS
'08 BMW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
///Mhead24
Captain
///Mhead24's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
603
Posts

 
Drives: Claudia
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I got to drive one in Japan and I was blown away at how easy it was to handle. The Navi was a bit annoying, but that was only because I had to focus on my Japanese to use it. Remarkable engineering went into this!
__________________
F30. Lots of parts. Let's drive
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
28
Rep
1,573
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Not a fan of the looks of this car at all. I also dont like Lexus
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
972
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Not a fan of the looks of this car at all. I also dont like Lexus
Did you read the thread title?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
86
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: E60
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

^^ that was too easy.

The sound of that V10 alone had me sold. My GAWD!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
12
Rep
856
Posts

 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

iTrader: (1)

So now Lexus owns the title for:

1. The best car in the world (LFA)

and

2. The worse car in the world (SC 430)

Talk about inconsistency...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
elwesso's Avatar
3
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

I like the LFA. I think from an engineering perspective it's very impressive, and the attention to detail is very stunning. Honestly, I don't think it's really fair to compare it to the GT-R because they're two completely seperate cars.

Supercars aren't always the best performing cars at any given time, but they are the epitome of status and technology, and this car does just that. It's also priced so far out of most anyone's reach that people can only dream of being able to even sit in one someday.

Fact of the matter is you can get better performance out of a Corvette ZR1, but the ZR1 is no LFA
__________________
- Wes
1994 Infiniti Q45- First 5-speed swapped Q45.
2007 BMW M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Desmo85
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 E89
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoBe

iTrader: (0)

[Troll]BMW hasnt got a Supercar yet[/Troll]
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
elwesso's Avatar
3
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (1)

They had the Z8....
__________________
- Wes
1994 Infiniti Q45- First 5-speed swapped Q45.
2007 BMW M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
swanson
Convicted Felon
swanson's Avatar
28
Rep
1,573
Posts

 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i View Post
Did you read the thread title?

what title?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
Desmo85
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 E89
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SoBe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
They had the Z8....


It had the E39 M5 Engine, though it is a great engine I would not call it a Supercar, The last "Supercar" built by Bmw was the M1!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Clarkson notoriously likes front engine cars.

Sounds amazing! Styling is personal, but I don't like it. Not exactly ground breaking in terms of performance numbers (cheaper cars can run circles around it). But in the end, it is a cool niche car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwesso View Post
They had the Z8....
Z8 is one of the most overrated cars in BMW history.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
NemesisX
Captain
18
Rep
874
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

To be fair the LFA is a brilliant machine, despite coming from a company known to make boring cars.

I consider the LFA on its own terms. It's an amazing machine with IIRC the 6th fastest nurburgring time on earth and the 3rd fastest street legal nurburgring time behind the Viper SRT10-ACR and the Porsche 911 Spyder (note: there's a fake entry of 7:11 for a ZR1 on fastlaps; this entry isn't legitimate).

Here's the kicker, though. The LFA has 560 HP. The 918 spyder has 795 horsepower, and yet only lapped the nurburgring .64 seconds faster than the LFA. 64/100ths of a second.

The SRT10 has 600 HP and lapped the ring 2 seconds faster (this comparison is a lot closer, although it still has a 40 HP advantage over the LFA).

The point is, the fact that the LFA can keep up with the 918 spyder with such a horsepower deficit is nothing short of amazing. It speaks volumes about that chassis and the overall tossability of the car around curves. The LFA is the epitome of a driver's car. Being able to do more with less.

If the LFA had the horsepower of a 918 spyder, it would blow it out of the water.

It's true that both the SRT10 and 911 are cheaper than the LFA, but honestly at half the price point of the LFA money starts to matter very little. It's not as though someone who can afford a $200,000 car can't afford a $400,000 car.

These are people with liquid net worths well north of $25M (USD). $200k vs $400k is immaterial to them, and so I don't really buy the "price" argument. The people who tend to whine about prices are the ones who can't afford these cars and therefore are not part of the target market.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
18
Rep
848
Posts

 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I think the LFA is one of the very few non-POSER-driven supercars out there. It's not that fast in straightline, isn't built by a race-car manufacture and yet can outpace most of the big names in a track. I love the engineering behind it and how it took Lexus years to develop it. But i hated how Lexus brought the LFA concept to every single autoshow from 2005-2009. Cheap move IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Z8 is one of the most overrated cars in BMW history.
Truth.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Sedoy
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: E53 X5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

With all my respect to FLA, Iím still more impressed by good old ďcheapĒ Ferrari 458 Italia, Auto Bild magazine did proper (same driver, same conditions) supercar test at Nurburgring and Ferrari 458 Italia was 6-seconds quicker:
7:32.92 Ferrari 458 Italia by Sascha Bert
7:38.85 Lexus LFA by Sascha Bert

I donít really trust those manufacture conducted tests since they probably tweak the car to claim something like 5:54 Nurburgring time for better sales...


Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
To be fair the LFA is a brilliant machine, despite coming from a company known to make boring cars.

I consider the LFA on its own terms. It's an amazing machine with IIRC the 6th fastest nurburgring time on earth and the 3rd fastest street legal nurburgring time behind the Viper SRT10-ACR and the Porsche 911 Spyder (note: there's a fake entry of 7:11 for a ZR1 on fastlaps; this entry isn't legitimate).

Here's the kicker, though. The LFA has 560 HP. The 918 spyder has 795 horsepower, and yet only lapped the nurburgring .64 seconds faster than the LFA. 64/100ths of a second.

The SRT10 has 600 HP and lapped the ring 2 seconds faster (this comparison is a lot closer, although it still has a 40 HP advantage over the LFA).

The point is, the fact that the LFA can keep up with the 918 spyder with such a horsepower deficit is nothing short of amazing. It speaks volumes about that chassis and the overall tossability of the car around curves. The LFA is the epitome of a driver's car. Being able to do more with less.

If the LFA had the horsepower of a 918 spyder, it would blow it out of the water.

It's true that both the SRT10 and 911 are cheaper than the LFA, but honestly at half the price point of the LFA money starts to matter very little. It's not as though someone who can afford a $200,000 car can't afford a $400,000 car.

These are people with liquid net worths well north of $25M (USD). $200k vs $400k is immaterial to them, and so I don't really buy the "price" argument. The people who tend to whine about prices are the ones who can't afford these cars and therefore are not part of the target market.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
b0bab0i
Captain
9
Rep
972
Posts

 
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
To be fair the LFA is a brilliant machine, despite coming from a company known to make boring cars.

I consider the LFA on its own terms. It's an amazing machine with IIRC the 6th fastest nurburgring time on earth and the 3rd fastest street legal nurburgring time behind the Viper SRT10-ACR and the Porsche 911 Spyder (note: there's a fake entry of 7:11 for a ZR1 on fastlaps; this entry isn't legitimate).

Here's the kicker, though. The LFA has 560 HP. The 918 spyder has 795 horsepower, and yet only lapped the nurburgring .64 seconds faster than the LFA. 64/100ths of a second.

The SRT10 has 600 HP and lapped the ring 2 seconds faster (this comparison is a lot closer, although it still has a 40 HP advantage over the LFA).

The point is, the fact that the LFA can keep up with the 918 spyder with such a horsepower deficit is nothing short of amazing. It speaks volumes about that chassis and the overall tossability of the car around curves. The LFA is the epitome of a driver's car. Being able to do more with less.

If the LFA had the horsepower of a 918 spyder, it would blow it out of the water.

It's true that both the SRT10 and 911 are cheaper than the LFA, but honestly at half the price point of the LFA money starts to matter very little. It's not as though someone who can afford a $200,000 car can't afford a $400,000 car.

These are people with liquid net worths well north of $25M (USD). $200k vs $400k is immaterial to them, and so I don't really buy the "price" argument. The people who tend to whine about prices are the ones who can't afford these cars and therefore are not part of the target market.
First you state the Porsche is a 911 then you say the Porsche is a 918 spyder, and go back to 911 at the end of the post. Which is it?
911 and 918 are completely different cars.
The 911 sells from $90k-$200k, while the 918 will cost over $1 million. The 918 spyder isn't even out yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
FwdFtl
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
86
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: E60
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
I think the LFA is one of the very few non-POSER-driven supercars out there. It's not that fast in straightline, isn't built by a race-car manufacture and yet can outpace most of the big names in a track. I love the engineering behind it and how it took Lexus years to develop it. But i hated how Lexus brought the LFA concept to every single autoshow from 2005-2009. Cheap move IMO.



Truth.
If you are indeed an owner of a 458, I have that much more respect for this particular post.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
With all my respect to FLA, Iím still more impressed by good old ďcheapĒ Ferrari 458 Italia, Auto Bild magazine did proper (same driver, same conditions) supercar test at Nurburgring and Ferrari 458 Italia was 6-seconds quicker:
7:32.92 Ferrari 458 Italia by Sascha Bert
7:38.85 Lexus LFA by Sascha Bert

I donít really trust those manufacture conducted tests since they probably tweak the car to claim something like 5:54 Nurburgring time for better sales...
Ferrari is notorious for tweaking their test cars, so I wouldn't call that a "proper" test.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
5,192
Posts

 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I personally love the LFA from every aspect, engineering to asthetics, save the front view. I really think they butchered the front end. It looks like a face that's had too much plastic surgery.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST