BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Cl0ud7
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 2009 M3 / 2013 X3 2.8i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Catasauqua, PA


Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

Service Engine Soon - Advice needed

A few a weeks ago, I get the "service engine soon" light on my car. I call into my dealership to schedule an appointment to have it checked out. They took a look at the issue this past Thurs (2/14).

Here is the work they did according to the printout:

1) perform vehicle test. connect battery charger. DME: 27B1 secondary air system flow rate, bank 2. ck = fault 1x
2) testplan B1215-M60SLV. Result = no fault found. diagcode: D1170-B0000000-07-901
3) clear fault memory

In short, the SA called me and told me the error had to do with the air pump that forces air into the exhaust to help it warm up faster. They hooked up the equipment and tested the pump and found no issues with it. The SA told me a contributing factor could be since I don't drive my car much it could just caused by the battery and recommended that I should get a battery tender if I'm not driving it much.

Fast forward to today, I leave work and start my car and the "service engine soon" light is back on again. I'll have to schedule another service appointment with the dealership but, could there be something else wrong or is it just as simple as having the battery tender since I don't drive my car much during the winter? If so, can anyone recommend where I can get a battery tender? - thanks


More Info: MY2009 E92 M3.....About 16800 on the clock
__________________
2014 - AW, BMW X1 2.8i
2013 - AW, BMW X3 2.8i
2009 - LmB, BMW M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
No way to know if it's the same code or not til you read the car.

I would definitely get a battery tender regardless of the results.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
My Schnell
Private First Class
United_States
2

 
My Schnell's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Mexico


Posts: 114
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
No way to know if it's the same code or not till you read the car.
Agree to this ...

My air pump issue was not the air pump itself, but the tube that leads to it with the mass air flow sensor that is attached with it. It's one unit ...

The tube cracked which caused issues with the mass airflow sensor and the dealer replaced the whole assembly (tube + mass airflow sensor.)

The air pump still worked but the car through the service engine soon. I would imagine that if my dealer checked the pump it would have worked too ...

Have the dealer check the tube/mass airflow sensor if it is the same code.
__________________
2009 E90 ///M3 SG Fox Red 6MT, AA X-pipe w/HFCs w/Eisenmann Sport, Dinan intake, AA Pulley, ZCP strut retro w/Dinan Stage III susp, BPM Stage II tune, Rear Fog LCI switch, BMW Edition Front & Side Grill/Gill, Smoked Reflectors, Black 19" ZCPs and AiB v4-Now, Not Wife approved!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
28

 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto


Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Its not fixed if nothing was changed. !!! All the dealer did was reset your codes and gave the car back to you . Error codes don't just pop up without a reason
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
39

 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada


Posts: 2,331
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Schnell View Post
Agree to this ...

My air pump issue was not the air pump itself, but the tube that leads to it with the mass air flow sensor that is attached with it. It's one unit ...

The tube cracked which caused issues with the mass airflow sensor and the dealer replaced the whole assembly (tube + mass airflow sensor.)

The air pump still worked but the car through the service engine soon. I would imagine that if my dealer checked the pump it would have worked too ...

Have the dealer check the tube/mass airflow sensor if it is the same code.
There is no Mass Airflow Sensor on the M3!!! What part are you talking about???
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #6
fuddman
Captain
10

 
Drives: 528-maybe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California


Posts: 697
iTrader: (0)

For an older non M car, I recently got this one because it seemed well received by others.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
I've only used it once or twice and no complaints.

I'm a little suspicious of the dealer when he tells me my problem is I don't drive the car enough. To me that sounds a lot like: "I don't know what's wrong."
Remember, too, that when the battery gets low, you'll get a message on your dash (or screen). At least, I did. There should be a reference to that in the manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
156


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
For an older non M car, I recently got this one because it seemed well received by others.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...battery+tender
I've only used it once or twice and no complaints.

I'm a little suspicious of the dealer when he tells me my problem is I don't drive the car enough. To me that sounds a lot like: "I don't know what's wrong."
Remember, too, that when the battery gets low, you'll get a message on your dash (or screen). At least, I did. There should be a reference to that in the manual.
It's very common with this car. Battery Tender is one of the best investments you can make on this car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST