BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (ALMS, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
M3 Adjuster
35
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

Posts: 3,541
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmmm
BMW bending the rules again. This is 2000 all over again.
Agree. All they would need to is actually build a car that the American public already wants. Apparently in the future perhaps, since that's what the e90/e92 m3 became eventually after the 2000 debacle.

More than likely BMW only wants to run one season with this z4
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor
M3 Adjuster is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
BMWI6
13
Major
 
BMWI6's Avatar
 
Drives: 335is
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck360198 View Post
This is so f-ing gorgeous it makes me scream for a new Z4M! It's unbelievable to me how ridiculously TAME the M3 looks compared to this. I can't wait to see this monster perform. GO BMW!
Couldn't have said it better myself. This car is too pretty. I owuld be all over a new Z4M. I cannot fathom how BMW does not make this car. Sad
__________________
If everything seems under control, then you aren't going fast enough"
BMWI6 is offline   Colombia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
bmwmmm
0
Private
 
Drives: 530d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Malta

Posts: 64
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Agree. All they would need to is actually build a car that the American public already wants. Apparently in the future perhaps, since that's what the e90/e92 m3 became eventually after the 2000 debacle.

More than likely BMW only wants to run one season with this z4
They have to build 100 cars and 1,000 engines for the car to qualify without penalties, so yes they could do it but do you think they actually will? I am hoping they do but have little faith they will.
bmwmmm is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #26
bimmerjph
19
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

I think this is one of the best looking race car ever made! Hopefully it will be one of the fastest too!
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
Silver E90
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Agree. All they would need to is actually build a car that the American public already wants. Apparently in the future perhaps, since that's what the e90/e92 m3 became eventually after the 2000 debacle.

More than likely BMW only wants to run one season with this z4
Why do you say that? I think that next year they will have a team in the WEC and at Le Mans. For the near future the Z4 is the GT platform for BMW. The question is what is next? The new M4 with what engine? Or a GT version of the rumored M8 in 2016?
Silver E90 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
strati1
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW/SoCal

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Anyone notice the button labeled "fancy" on the steering wheel? forgive my ignorance but what is that?
__________________
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
strati1 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
WarrantyTracker
5
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: An Undisclosed Location

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

O.K., I'm new to GT racing, so I may not know what I'm talking about. Though I did see the European GT3 championship series this year, where they are racing the GT3 Z4. Admittedly it looks cool and therefore promotes the brand. But the street Z4 is so NOT a trackable/driver's car! And they can't be trying to support demand for the street version, which sells only a few hundred a month, as opposed to a few thousand for M3s, which do appeal to track-heads and where the demand support naturally fits well. I guess they have to go somewhere else during the upcomming break in M3 production, but I think makes them look like posers if they stay with the Z4 longer than they have to. Why didn't they do an 1 series M coupe instead?
WarrantyTracker is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
Nate@IND
104
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 10,416
iTrader: (19)

I love it
__________________
Nate@IND is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #31
Greenkirby21
26
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
O.K., I'm new to GT racing, so I may not know what I'm talking about. Though I did see the European GT3 championship series this year, where they are racing the GT3 Z4. Admittedly it looks cool and therefore promotes the brand. But the street Z4 is so NOT a trackable/driver's car! And they can't be trying to support demand for the street version, which sells only a few hundred a month, as opposed to a few thousand for M3s, which do appeal to track-heads and where the demand support naturally fits well. I guess they have to go somewhere else during the upcomming break in M3 production, but I think makes them look like posers if they stay with the Z4 longer than they have to. Why didn't they do an 1 series M coupe instead?
most likely because a the 1 series M coupe also stopped production. I see this car lasting maybe 2 or 3 years depending on when the next M3/M4 comes out
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #32
E9TOU
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Goleta, CA

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to E9TOU
Really sad to see the M3 leave ALMS. I hope it makes a return when the next generation comes out.
E9TOU is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
Thurman Murch
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Island in the sun

Posts: 392
iTrader: (0)

So the rear tyres just have more meat and are a quarter inch wider than the foot tyres up front

It would be nice to see a pic of the bay

Are they going with the Z4 chassis for weight or cD?

I was thinking this back a while ago... I think BMW may just keep the S65 motor around for the m3/4 series in a sense that a regular m will have the S55 and maybe the black series fighter will have the S65B44
Thurman Murch is offline   Seychelles
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #34
MrClean335i
3
FBO+Methanol Injection
 
MrClean335i's Avatar
 
Drives: M Sport 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Miami

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver E90 View Post
Why do you say that? I think that next year they will have a team in the WEC and at Le Mans. For the near future the Z4 is the GT platform for BMW. The question is what is next? The new M4 with what engine? Or a GT version of the rumored M8 in 2016?
I think the Z4 GTE will stay until the M Mid-engine car comes out. The rules are going to change for 2015 as manufacturers is looking to make one platform for all racing series instead of having to make a GT3 and a GTE version of the same car.
MrClean335i is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #35
mapezzul
17
Special Agent
 
mapezzul's Avatar
 
Drives: Depends on the day!
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Does this mean BMW will continue to use naturally aspirated V8s in ALMS indefinitely, or did the fact that the engine is still in production currently play a big role in getting it through the approval process?

The car looks great, but I think I'd rather see the non-production car/engine-type pairings left to the tube-chassis series'.
This car racing has been a work in progress in the US for the past few years.... I won't go into all of it but this car is homologated for the "new" class of ALMS/Grand AM. BMW will no longer produce a naturally aspirated engine soon so technically they couldn't even compete in ALMS with the past rules. The next few years will be strange in ALMS because of the merger but once turbos are allowed there will be a different setup and that will be based on a production engine (N55/S55) which will cease the issue with the production engine rules.
This car is also being heavily restricted because of the engine and the transmission is not an XTRAC. The competition is also outside the original ALMS rules as well.

Will BMW race the M4 or will it be the M2- M8 once the Z4 is out to pasture in 3 years? One thing is for sure we have seen the end of the M3 in racing.

Having watch the Z4 GT3 in Europe these past two years- I know fans will fall in love with it on the track as it looks mean and sounds angry.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MB begin racing in the states now as well since the rule changes will make things more affordable- the Z4 has less development costs and is much quicker.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #36
WarrantyTracker
5
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: An Undisclosed Location

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
most likely because a the 1 series M coupe also stopped production. I see this car lasting maybe 2 or 3 years depending on when the next M3/M4 comes out
Well, the E82 chassis is still in production, and the F22 will succeed it probably sometime this calendar year. And I don't think it matters that the 1M coupe is over; it's not like the Z4 is available in an M either.
WarrantyTracker is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
EINSER M
53
Major General
 
EINSER M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064 N, 117.5922 W, 300m altitude

Posts: 5,368
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
freaking sick
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

EINSER M is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #38
M3_WC
22
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,228
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This car racing has been a work in progress in the US for the past few years.... I won't go into all of it but this car is homologated for the "new" class of ALMS/Grand AM. BMW will no longer produce a naturally aspirated engine soon so technically they couldn't even compete in ALMS with the past rules. The next few years will be strange in ALMS because of the merger but once turbos are allowed there will be a different setup and that will be based on a production engine (N55/S55) which will cease the issue with the production engine rules.
False.

Not according to the ALMS rules book, section 5.5 (page 201). Turbo/Supercharged engines are allowed.

So BMW doesn't have an excuse. They want to go to an all FI lineup in the showrooms, then have some balls and run it at the track now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see MB begin racing in the states now as well since the rule changes will make things more affordable- the Z4 has less development costs and is much quicker.
Other brands should take advantage of all the waivers BMW got. Benz should convert their SLS GT3 over to GTE spec.

Last edited by M3_WC; 02-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
M3_WC is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #39
S54dan
33
I no longer work for United BMW!
 
S54dan's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 3,327
iTrader: (36)

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [4.25]
2005 M3  [5.00]
2005 325i  [4.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [4.50]
Love this car. In convos with Joey, he had been testing this setup since before the 2012 Petit Le Mans
__________________
Former employee of United BMW. I am now employed by Mercedes-Benz.
S54dan is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #40
z4z4z4
5
Lieutenant
 
z4z4z4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 M3, 2011 Z4, & her 740Li
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: mild mediterranean breezes

Posts: 534
iTrader: (1)

FINALLY! A BMW sports car in a North American luxury sports car series!
Looking forward to LBGP and Laguna Seca!
__________________

BBS-ER-HPF-iJDM-LUX-MachtSchnell-PSS-Remus-Tekarbon
z4z4z4 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #41
mose121
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP/135i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
Love this car. In convos with Joey, he had been testing this setup since before the 2012 Petit Le Mans
Sounds about right, especially since he was already over there for DTM. Did he give any input on the Z4 vs. the M3?
mose121 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Jason
166
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,621
iTrader: (0)

Some live sights and sounds:

__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #43
Greenkirby21
26
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Some live sights and sounds:

why does the Z4 sound so different than the M3? The M3 is screaming in the video!
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #44
RingMeister01
24
Croatian
 
RingMeister01's Avatar
 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 2,480
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmmm
BMW bending the rules again. This is 2000 all over again.
Agree. All they would need to is actually build a car that the American public already wants. Apparently in the future perhaps, since that's what the e90/e92 m3 became eventually after the 2000 debacle.

More than likely BMW only wants to run one season with this z4
Z4 GTE looks great and will do well. The Z4 GTE will only last for one or two seasons to fill in for the EOP M3 and the upcoming replacement that will have to go under homologation and testing.
So far the Z4 has proved to match the speed to win races, just has to hold together to finish them.
Lets see!
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
RingMeister01 is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST