BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Lubricating latch attachment?

i have that tell tale rattle in my center console storage and was wondering if you guys have a good lubricant to recommend which can be applid to the latch attachment. i think that's the issue, since if i leave the console open there is no rattle. but i really can't see which part of the latch is affected.
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

cuz wd 40 isnt cutting it
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
uplusd
Lieutenant
 
uplusd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 458
iTrader: (7)

i've got the same rattle, haven't really had the time or patience to diagnose it yet
uplusd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplusd View Post
i've got the same rattle, haven't really had the time or patience to diagnose it yet
I believe it's the latch attachment and it really shows up in the cold weather, but I can't figure out what the right way to tackle it is, certainly don't need a new console, but perhaps a new latch. Or some krytox perhaps?
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,257
iTrader: (5)

there they go pulling my posts again.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Gins
I can't find my pants.
 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo

Posts: 2,487
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
cuz wd 40 isnt cutting it
WD40 attracts dirt and will make things worse. You need a white-lithium based lubricant or graphite. Probably go with graphite on this one.
Gins is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
WD40 attracts dirt and will make things worse. You need a white-lithium based lubricant or graphite. Probably go with graphite on this one.
something like this?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...FQh66wodHEsAGw
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,746
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Try Krytox 205, it's an odorless grease dispensed in a syringe-like device. It won't melt or harden in extreme temps and also acts as a dampening agent in that shitty designed latch.

This is cheaper than the real deal, same substance:

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Ex...eywords=krytox
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Try Krytox 205, it's an odorless grease dispensed in a syringe-like device. It won't melt or harden in extreme temps and also acts as a dampening agent in that shitty designed latch.

This is cheaper than the real deal, same substance:

http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Ex...eywords=krytox
done, i'm going to try this one. thanks
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,746
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
done, i'm going to try this one. thanks
Let us know how it works out. You'll have leftover, so apply to ALL the rubber seals, you'll be surprised at how quiet the cabin becomes.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #11
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Let us know how it works out. You'll have leftover, so apply to ALL the rubber seals, you'll be surprised at how quiet the cabin becomes.
will do! and do i dab at intervals on the seals or more of a smooth line?
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,746
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
will do! and do i dab at intervals on the seals or more of a smooth line?
I used just a series of dots, I detailed the procedure in this thread (sorry off this board) but basically dots and massage into the complete seal, especially the seals that touch painted surfaces. The stuff lasts for months if not a year. Just be careful on the top seal where the top of the E92 window touches. The stuff smears on glass and I believe that top rubber piece is a silicone piece IIRC.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666066
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes

Last edited by thekurgan; 02-14-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: bad speller
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I used just a series of dots, I detailed the procedure in this thread (sorry off this board) but basically dots and massage into the complete seal, especially the seals that touch painted surfaces. The stuff lasts for months if not a year. Just be careful on the top seal where the top of the E92 window touches. The stuff smears on glass and I believe that top rubber piece is a silicone piece IIRC.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=666066
awesome i sometimes get that door tick too which is pretty dang annoying. thanks you're the man
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST