BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Talking Another track day, another Ferrari F430 getting passed by an M3.

Just another day in the M3 passing Ferrari's (exactly 6 minutes in for that).



I actually had a hard time keeping up with him in the earlier sessions because he'd pull away in the straights, but I was definitely faster in the corners. And he would lift super early through turn 1 (which you can see after I pass him). I had lots of fun yesterday aside from traffic and people not giving point by's. Maybe soon I can graduate to open passing.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,626
iTrader: (0)

Verry nice video..
BTW... your are a good driver...good chosen lines
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,624
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Just another day in the M3 passing Ferrari's (exactly 6 minutes in for that).



I actually had a hard time keeping up with him in the earlier sessions because he'd pull away in the straights, but I was definitely faster in the corners. And he would lift super early through turn 1 (which you can see after I pass him). I had lots of fun yesterday aside from traffic and people not giving point by's. Maybe soon I can graduate to open passing.
I always enjoy your videos!!

Can you please share your camera setup? I am assuming you are using a Go Pro with a remote mic. Which mic did you get and where is it wired to?

Also what app do you use to do the video overlay and what trick do you use to sync telemetry data from your car to the video? (I am assuming you are using a Solo DL connected to your DME? )

Thanks!
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,384
iTrader: (5)

nice work. i have found several ferrari drivers that dont want to push their cars very hard at the track, will talk about it in the pits.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 860
iTrader: (1)

Good video and camera DAQ setup! Looks like such fun to drive MRLS.
__________________
Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
surlynkid
Captain
 
surlynkid's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

Posts: 972
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Your rearward video footage cracks me up. Every car you reel in ends up in the rear video. Nice way to show your driving. I like it.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Performance Steering Wheel | CF Mirror Caps | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates | AiM Solo DL
surlynkid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
nice work. i have found several ferrari drivers that dont want to push their cars very hard at the track, will talk about it in the pits.
I was told he's a hooked on driving instructor and drives his Ferraris (yes, plural) pretty hard. But that's not to say he was driving his fastest while I passed him. I do know that throughout the day he was faster in the straights and I was faster in the corners. And from what I could tell he was driving like he stole it.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,384
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I was told he's a hooked on driving instructor and drives his Ferraris (yes, plural) pretty hard. But that's not to say he was driving his fastest while I passed him. I do know that throughout the day he was faster in the straights and I was faster in the corners. And from what I could tell he was driving like he stole it.
no problem i wasnt refering to this driver, just in general.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,346
iTrader: (5)

What microphone are you using? Sounds great.
Nice vid.


Is the Akra ok full throttle going by the sound booth? Seems like you were flat out going up the hill.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What microphone are you using? Sounds great.
Nice vid.


Is the Akra ok full throttle going by the sound booth? Seems like you were flat out going up the hill.

.
I'm using this one: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...ords=lapel+mic

For the most part. I upshift at about 7000-7500 rpms and tend to drop to about 80-90% throttle because I occasionally get flagged by sound. I think weather and cloud position have something to do with it. I'd rather lose a tenth of a second in lap time than the rest of my session because I went slightly over 92db.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Great driving, video, everything. One more vote for your video/sound setup as well as your editing software. Really nice work!
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,344
iTrader: (0)

Great video. Car sounds fantastic!

Ferrari Schmerrari! I'm more impressed that you passed a GT3 RS. When driven well, they're devastatingly fast.

I see you almost fell victim to, "Sweet! I just passed a Ferrari!" immediately followed by, "Oh crap! I overcooked this corner..." Happens to me, too. You're so jazzed to get past an impressive car, and then often you find yourself off line coming into the next turn, and coming in too fast. You hear the commentators talk about it during Continental Challenge races, too.

Great driving. Such an amazing track to have close to you.
__________________
IB E90 M3 ZCP returned to BMW FS
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:13 AM   #13
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
My setup for those who are asking:

I have a go pro mounted to the outside of my back seat window. I think that's the next best thing to mounted it in the bar behind the driver. I can see the track as well as most of the driver inputs. I have a second camera mounted on my rear window facing backwards. It's nice to see what's going on back there and there's the added bonus of easily being able to place an external mic on the rear bumper.

I basically fed the mic wire from the top corner of my trunk and then back out at the bottom. I taped the mic to the top corner of the bumper because it's close to the exhaust as well as shields a lot of wind. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiant...n/photostream/

So I have 2 camera angles and good audio from an external mic on the rear bumper. I also have a Solo DL capturing data from my ECU. When I get home I'll sync my 2 video angles in Final Cut Pro and only use the audio from the mic'd go pro. In Final Cut, you can playback your video with the multiple angles and choose which camera to use on the fly as you watch it. It's pretty slick.

After I export my video which has 2 camera angles and audio, I'll move it over to Windows. In Windows I download all my Solo data to Race Studio and export the appropriate session data as a .csv file. So now I have a video clip and a data file. I use an app called Dashware to take that data and overlay it as visuals on my video. The interface allows me to scrub the video and visual data until they both line up. After that I export the final video.

It's a bit of a process which is why I usually only do 1-2 of my best sessions, but I think it's well worth it for future reference and it's just more entertaining to watch.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Great video. Car sounds fantastic!

Ferrari Schmerrari! I'm more impressed that you passed a GT3 RS. When driven well, they're devastatingly fast.

I see you almost fell victim to, "Sweet! I just passed a Ferrari!" immediately followed by, "Oh crap! I overcooked this corner..." Happens to me, too. You're so jazzed to get past an impressive car, and then often you find yourself off line coming into the next turn, and coming in too fast. You hear the commentators talk about it during Continental Challenge races, too.

Great driving. Such an amazing track to have close to you.
I just don't feel right getting on my brakes hard right after passing someone really late before a corner. I probably just shouldn't pass, but everyone gives point-by's so late. But yes I'm always excited when I pass a car that should be much faster than me.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:20 AM   #15
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,346
iTrader: (5)

Thanks OP. Especially the pic showing the mic location and the link for the mic.
The data appears to show full throttle going by the sound booth. I was shifting around 7,000 the last time I was there.

Did anyone do a BIG single apex turn on the U-turn after after 1, at the end of the straights? It seems faster, but you worry about someone ducking under you. With the CCA, they had us going almost to the end of the straight, and then cranking the wheel left and getting on the gas.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #16
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks OP. Especially the pic showing the mic location and the link for the mic.
The data appears to show full throttle going by the sound booth. I was shifting around 7,000 the last time I was there.

Did anyone do a BIG single apex turn on the U-turn after after 1, at the end of the straights? It seems faster, but you worry about someone ducking under you. With the CCA, they had us going almost to the end of the straight, and then cranking the wheel left and getting on the gas.
The visual for the gas is slightly off. I should probably spend some time fixing that. Setting the parameters get a bit tricky sometimes.

I used to do that on turn 2 and I learned the exact same thing at a CCA driving school. Still not quite sure what's the fastest line through there. I just focus on trail braking and hitting the 2nd apex.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,717
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.71]
2013 e92 M3  [4.55]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
I love watching your videos! My mac is right next to my gaming TV and I just raced you simultaneously on Forza Motorsport. You won lol
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,624
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
My setup for those who are asking:

I have a go pro mounted to the outside of my back seat window. I think that's the next best thing to mounted it in the bar behind the driver. I can see the track as well as most of the driver inputs. I have a second camera mounted on my rear window facing backwards. It's nice to see what's going on back there and there's the added bonus of easily being able to place an external mic on the rear bumper.

I basically fed the mic wire from the top corner of my trunk and then back out at the bottom. I taped the mic to the top corner of the bumper because it's close to the exhaust as well as shields a lot of wind. Here's a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/radiant...n/photostream/

So I have 2 camera angles and good audio from an external mic on the rear bumper. I also have a Solo DL capturing data from my ECU. When I get home I'll sync my 2 video angles in Final Cut Pro and only use the audio from the mic'd go pro. In Final Cut, you can playback your video with the multiple angles and choose which camera to use on the fly as you watch it. It's pretty slick.

After I export my video which has 2 camera angles and audio, I'll move it over to Windows. In Windows I download all my Solo data to Race Studio and export the appropriate session data as a .csv file. So now I have a video clip and a data file. I use an app called Dashware to take that data and overlay it as visuals on my video. The interface allows me to scrub the video and visual data until they both line up. After that I export the final video.

It's a bit of a process which is why I usually only do 1-2 of my best sessions, but I think it's well worth it for future reference and it's just more entertaining to watch.
thank you!
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
signes
Brigadier General
 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k

Posts: 4,207
iTrader: (3)

Thanks for the detailed write-up, video looks like it takes a lot of post effort.

Not sure what it is but your Evo sounds better than every other clip I've heard. What mic are you using?
__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
signes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #20
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,407
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The visual for the gas is slightly off. I should probably spend some time fixing that. Setting the parameters get a bit tricky sometimes.
I can only guess that this may be the issue, but I've had to make my own template in Dashware with custom gauges with slightly adjusted value ranges. It's a one time thing, then you apply the template to your new projects and it's all peachy! If you've saved your old project files, you can also re-render based on the new template.

Nice driving btw!
mid-corner fun is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,829
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Someone sent me the video from the ferrari's POV. You can see me pass at 10:15 and he chuckles when I slide. video has good production value too. There was a guy from contour offering full video services.



Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Thanks for the detailed write-up, video looks like it takes a lot of post effort.

Not sure what it is but your Evo sounds better than every other clip I've heard. What mic are you using?
Good mic placement makes a big difference. I link to the mic a few posts up (amazon link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-corner fun View Post
I can only guess that this may be the issue, but I've had to make my own template in Dashware with custom gauges with slightly adjusted value ranges. It's a one time thing, then you apply the template to your new projects and it's all peachy! If you've saved your old project files, you can also re-render based on the new template.

Nice driving btw!
Yea I have a custom template as well. Took me a few videos to get my brake pressure settings dialed in. I just need to spend more time on the gas one.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #22
Detroit M3
Major
 
Detroit M3's Avatar
 
Drives: Murdered E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bloomfield Hills

Posts: 1,089
iTrader: (0)

Nice driving man! Love your car
__________________
E92. ModeCarbon. iND. eisenmann. ACM Test Pipe. BPM Sport. KW.
Detroit M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST