BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
silvrevo
Captain
silvrevo's Avatar
Tonga
9
Rep
637
Posts

 
Drives: E90335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location: Location

iTrader: (1)

Automobile Magazine - Oct. 2007 M3test

Anyone else read this article in Automobile mag about the new M3?

They sure wernt too high on the car. Just seemed like a so so read.

Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
southlight's Avatar
607
Rep
6,748
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Do you have some numbers for us? Acceleration - Brake distance - consumption...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
keanu1
tiamat
keanu1's Avatar
Romania
27
Rep
1,313
Posts

 
Drives: 525 d
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: romania

iTrader: (0)

Please, some numbers man!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Jason
Administrator
Jason's Avatar
United_States
6750
Rep
16,681
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Article attached to first post.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
ILC32
Lieutenant
ILC32's Avatar
18
Rep
580
Posts

 
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Article attached to first post.
Well done, Jason! Thanks for posting it.

Too bad its yet another subjective article based on the first press preview drives. If there is a takeaway, it is that the brakes were not up to task, despite harder pads and forced waiting between laps. That is the first article I can recall reading about the Ascari drives that mentions a problem with the brakes fading. Not good.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Not a bad article. At least it covers the repeating history of M3 reviews. Give it time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
kingmonkey8
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 428i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I think the reviewer has hit the nail on its head.
A M3 should be more than just numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 12:16 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Piling up

Disappointing.

Man the criticisms of the brakes and steering just won't end. This fellow calls the steering flat out "very disappointing". Like I posted previsouly how could this be done by the folks at BMW M (they must like it as is) and every journalist hates it??? Brakes are certainly easy to fix but the steering .

Another price estimate of $62k as well. Ugh.

Unfortunately, even at this price, there is not a lot of real competition that offers this combination of speed, performance, comfort and luxury in a 2WD 4 seat package.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #9
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
i guess its better for them to estimate the price high and have the debut price be lower than to guess really low and then disappoint people when the actual release price is much higher...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
Keto's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,585
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WHO DAT NATION

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Well done, Jason! Thanks for posting it.

Too bad its yet another subjective article based on the first press preview drives. If there is a takeaway, it is that the brakes were not up to task, despite harder pads and forced waiting between laps. That is the first article I can recall reading about the Ascari drives that mentions a problem with the brakes fading. Not good.
Could have sworn I've seen reviews mentioning fade, and others saying "no fade to be seen."

Preproduction QA 4tw.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 03:06 AM   #11
esquire
Colonel
esquire's Avatar
United_States
58
Rep
2,801
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Disappointing.

Man the criticisms of the brakes and steering just won't end. This fellow calls the steering flat out "very disappointing". Like I posted previsouly how could this be done by the folks at BMW M (they must like it as is) and every journalist hates it??? Brakes are certainly easy to fix but the steering .

Another price estimate of $62k as well. Ugh.

Unfortunately, even at this price, there is not a lot of real competition that offers this combination of speed, performance, comfort and luxury in a 2WD 4 seat package.
and these being production cars, and not test vehicles, means that bmw decided against "fixing" the steering. it's their final product. hmm.

- esquire
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 04:26 AM   #12
JEllis
Brigadier General
JEllis's Avatar
84
Rep
4,783
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

iTrader: (4)

What is wrong with you guys!

This is a positive article that I think really gets to the heart of the issue in the first couple paragraphs. They admit that with every new generation we all hope we will get closer to what the E30 M was. Yet, it appears we get further away everytime. Its hard for a car to live up to that hype but they admit that each new generation is the best in the class. They even go onto to say that the new M3 has stolen the crown from the RS4!

The steering and brakes is an ongoing issue. You cant be on this site and love the E36 M3 or E46 M3 and not understand that this is always a point of dispute with the M3. Get over it... I can post links to articles that talk about what was said about the steering of the E46 M3.

Bottom line, this is a good and positive review with some good insight into the emotions of the M3 cult following.

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 04:46 AM   #13
Hans Delbruck
BMW & MB - friends in my garage
Hans Delbruck's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,285
Posts

 
Drives: C63, 135i, 1959 BUICK
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

I drove one of the Laguna Seca Blue dealer cars when the E46 M3 first came out, in 2001. My first impression then, of the E46's steering was "too light, way overboosted" .... do any of you E46 guys know if they made a running change to the E46 M3's steering?

If the E92's steering is Buick-style... that is going to be a real turnoff for me. I like firm, heavy steering. This could honestly push me in the direction of the C63, but I hope not.....

I can understand the author's disappointment with the brakes vs CF roof "jewelry" LOL. None of us enthusiasts here want a poseur's M3! We want the real deal, not an ///M badge!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
What is wrong with you guys!

This is a positive article that I think really gets to the heart of the issue in the first couple paragraphs. They admit that with every new generation we all hope we will get closer to what the E30 M was. Yet, it appears we get further away everytime. Its hard for a car to live up to that hype but they admit that each new generation is the best in the class. They even go onto to say that the new M3 has stolen the crown from the RS4!

The steering and brakes is an ongoing issue. You cant be on this site and love the E36 M3 or E46 M3 and not understand that this is always a point of dispute with the M3. Get over it... I can post links to articles that talk about what was said about the steering of the E46 M3.

Bottom line, this is a good and positive review with some good insight into the emotions of the M3 cult following.

Jason
Indeed, overall, the article is positive. I also found the strategy of the writing interesting and quite insightful, i.e. I will find fault now and likely eat my words later. Sure it is great that the guy claims the car bests the RS4, it darn well should being so many years newer! I was not disputing the overall conclusions of the article in my post above. Most of you know I am a huge fan of this car and M's in general, so criticisms from me are likely reasonably well thought out and are supported by evidence.

Like I have said again and again it is so baffling how BMW could produce something they love and the vast majority of the press strongly criticize. I know it is still early and folks (owners and journalists) opinions may in fact morph slowly (or quickly) over time but there seems to be little debate that right now most jounalists are finding the steering and brakes to be problematic. In any performance car brakes should be one of the first mods considered. But in an M3 you just should not have to mod the brakes for a track day. Furthermore I find it deceitful for BMW to have placed track/race pads in the cars for the press day at Ascari. Shame on them. The car should be tested BONE STOCK, period. Heck if a small bit of brake performance was the only thing lacking in the car I'd be thrilled (BBK = an easy, one day, do it yourself-er with stainless lines included). But the steering won't be easy to fix if it needs to be and this is another area where there is simply no excuse for BMW not to have got it perfect.

All of the journo's and all of those criticising may eat their words after some short period and declare the steering is perfect. But again for now the conclusions are clear most journalists have found major faults with the steering, period.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #15
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
22
Rep
1,330
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

Unfortunately, even at this price, there is not a lot of real competition that offers this combination of speed, performance, comfort and luxury in a 2WD 4 seat package.
Yes there is, and BMW even makes it. And so does Mercedes, and Nissan, and Cadillac, and on the CPO lot of Porsche. And if you don't need the +2, even Chevy, and Porsche new.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

New, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Yes there is, and BMW even makes it. And so does Mercedes, and Nissan, and Cadillac, and on the CPO lot of Porsche. And if you don't need the +2, even Chevy, and Porsche new.
I should have added new to rule out some possbilities. The C63 is the closest IMO but there again I should have added with MT or automated manual only to rule that one out. I guess the 335i vs. M3 debate will never end ... and 99% of folks will not place a new 335i in the same performance camp as the E92 M3. The GT-R isn't out (launch date?) and likely won't touch the E92 M3 on comfort/luxury/fit/finish. That leaves domestics which I've never been too keen on. Hmm, I guess I have backed myself into a small purchasing space. Do you have some other suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
22
Rep
1,330
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (3)

99% don't care which is faster around a track, it's the 1% of us car nuts that do, but lets not rehash that argument

No, I think that's pretty much the choices in using your criteria.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #18
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
...Furthermore I find it deceitful for BMW to have placed track/race pads in the cars for the press day at Ascari. Shame on them. The car should be tested BONE STOCK, period. ...

From what I have read, that is not uncommon for car manufactures to do things like that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 09:57 AM   #19
888
I'm takin' the day off.
888's Avatar
South Africa
16
Rep
339
Posts

 
Drives: M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I will find fault now and likely eat my words later.
yip, thats what always happens (to date). My local mag gave the E46 M3, 3/5 stars in 2001 LOL.
__________________
If I were to agree with you we would both be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #20
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The GT-R isn't out (launch date?)
Official Nissan USA site states it will be out in Japan Fall'07, and make it to the US and Canada Spring'08. They clearly are targeting the M3; the schedule is identical.

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/index.html
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:10 AM   #21
Epacy
Reincarnated
Epacy's Avatar
88
Rep
4,227
Posts

 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Official Nissan USA site states it will be out in Japan Fall'07, and make it to the US and Canada Spring'08. They clearly are targeting the M3; the schedule is identical.

http://www.nissanusa.com/gt-r/index.html
Maybe targeting the release schedule, but not head-to-head auto wise. GTR is after different competition.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #22
lucid
Major General
lucid's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
8,034
Posts

 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
Maybe targeting the release schedule, but not head-to-head auto wise. GTR is after different competition.
Yes and no. Clearly, it will be a very different type of car. But, if it is available at the same time, it will catch the attention of potential M3 buyers like myself who are willing to spend up to $70k, and make them think twice.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST