BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

GetBMWParts

02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #23
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
I might trade roofs...but you'll have to paint it. Its red.
Tell me more? Pics?
You know the drill...

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
      02-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer5 View Post
+1 for Amica. Great to work with on a claim (house in my case). I didn't know they covered hdpe. I saw the language but it's legally vague. Did you get confirmation directly from them?
I have not. And I agree the wording is rather vague (the policy also may be different in different states). I also wouldn't be too surprised that if I ever had a claim related to an HPDE, Amica basically said they'd cover me for that claim but wouldn't be renewing my policy when it came up -- but honestly, that's all I need. I probably wouldn't submit a claim unless it was in the high four figures anyway, and if I ever had a serious incident like that on track, I would probably find a less expensive car to track going forward.

I've heard that in some states (NOT Texas) insurance policies with the exact same language as Amica's have been ruled not to cover HPDEs because the judge defined "racing" as "if you took a normal person out to see this activity, they would call it racing, so it's racing", which I think is absurd. HPDEs have no timers, no standings/points, (for most people) an instructor in the car at all times, and no passing without the consent of the person in front, who is required to give said consent -- that doesn't sound like any race I've ever heard of. The angles I could imagine being tricky is if you were a solo-qualified driver because lack of an instructor might damage the whole "it's a school" aspect or if you were a member at a track and went out by yourself for casual tracking -- but I'm not solo-qualified yet and only go to tracks as part of HPDEs.

But no, I haven't called them to ask point blank because I've heard that some carriers (including USAA) have dropped policyholders even for calling to ask about HPDE coverage. That said, while USAA's policy wording doesn't flat out say you're not covered if you're on a racetrack for any reason, but it says things about activities intended to help you go fast or drive better ("Yeah, we don't cover your attempts to become a better driver...." ) and "anything similar to the excluded activities listed above", so they definitely have their weasel-out clause.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 02-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      02-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
ThunderMoose
Captain

Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3

Lets keep the thread focused on the school versus insurance providers.