BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Racewerkz Engineering

02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
luiscarlos59
Private

Drives: M3

Driving it fast for 2 days.. now computer says:

Hi,

I remember last week that I checked the Info Service menu at my car and found that I had no near future services to do until December'13; everything was on green checks. Friday and Saturday I decided to drive my car "hard", not the way I use to normally drive.

Then suddenly yesterday the service red light appeared on my dash and it stated that Oil Change Overdue with a red triangle. I always thought that before getting a red light you get a yellow light first to warn you.

My question is, the oil change due date is calculated on time or is it variable and gets calculated based on the way you drive the car?

And also, the oil change includes replacing any filters? or just the pure drain/pour of new oil.

Btw, my oil level is stated a "too high".

Thanks
      02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by luiscarlos59 View Post
Hi,

I remember last week that I checked the Info Service menu at my car and found that I had no near future services to do until December'13; everything was on green checks. Friday and Saturday I decided to drive my car "hard", not the way I use to normally drive.

Then suddenly yesterday the service red light appeared on my dash and it stated that Oil Change Overdue with a red triangle. I always thought that before getting a red light you get a yellow light first to warn you.

My question is, the oil change due date is calculated on time or is it variable and gets calculated based on the way you drive the car?

And also, the oil change includes replacing any filters? or just the pure drain/pour of new oil.

Btw, my oil level is stated a "too high".

Thanks
Thats strange. After hard driving, your service estimated miles may go down but I never heard about anyone getting an overdue light. According to my tech, the service interval shortens from calculations based on fuel consumption. So technically, the way you drive effects the oil service interval. In regards to time, if your car didn't have an oil change for a year (I think its two years now), and you didn't reach the oil service mileage then you needed an oil change. I think that light may be due to the high oil level. Get that checked ASAP. Too much oil is not good for your engine. Might also be a bad oil sensor which is crucial to have fixed since we don't have a dipstick for our engines.

Oil changes include new oil (TWS 10W-60), a new oil filter, new washers for the drain plugs and a new O-ring for the oil filter cap.

Last edited by jjw2331; 02-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
      02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
SROC5
Addicted to Track

Drives: E92 M3

Oil High is not a good sign, bring the car into the dealership for check-up. Oil Change is calculated against 15,000 mile intervals usually, it doesn't go faster if you drive faster. The only thing that may change is when you top off the car's oil with an additional liter of oil, it will tell you to do so. It's possible I suppose you drove hard and for great distance and it so happen to reach the mileage to send a warning to do an oil change. OR the oil change symbol simply shows up because you have the Oil Level too High.

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
SROC5 is offline   United_States