BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sometimes Plans Change

With 12 years and 200k on the clock of my beloved e46 325i, I was excited at the announcement of the new F30 3er and began stashing away as much cash as I could to "pre-fund" the car's purchase. I planned to wait for the F30 M-Sport package and take European Delivery on an Estoril Blue/Black Dakota 335 with 6MT, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, and ZCW.

Fast forward a few months and I had the opportunity spend some serious seat time in a friend's 335 ZSL and another friend's AH3. One thing kept bugging me... In every measurable dimension, it's faster and more capable than my e46, but I just didn't LOVE the car the way I felt when I bought the e46.

I had turned to BMW's options sheet to spec an F30 with a litany of whiz-bang technology, only to find that I really wanted was something more visceral. So I went in search of something else, and found the solution with one of BMW's German neighbors. Enter the new addition... an '07 Porsche Cayman S.

Let me be clear... the F30 is a great car and is FAR more practical than the Cayman. For those on this forum who (like me), have expressed concerns about being removed from the driving experience, all I can say is that I have been physically unable to remove the ear-to-ear grin from my face after copious hours of the Cayman's snarly exhaust, mid-engine balance, knee-high to a June bug driving position, and rifle-bolt 6-speed.

I'm not leaving the BMW family as I'm keeping the e46 and am eagerly awaiting the specs and details on the upcoming M2. In the mean time, a big thanks to the forum mods for proving excellent information on the F30's specs and to all the members who satiated my lust for pics of EBII. Happy motoring, all!
Attached Images
 
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
GB72
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: uk

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG
With 12 years and 200k on the clock of my beloved e46 325i, I was excited at the announcement of the new F30 3er and began stashing away as much cash as I could to "pre-fund" the car's purchase. I planned to wait for the F30 M-Sport package and take European Delivery on an Estoril Blue/Black Dakota 335 with 6MT, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, and ZCW.

Fast forward a few months and I had the opportunity spend some serious seat time in a friend's 335 ZSL and another friend's AH3. One thing kept bugging me... In every measurable dimension, it's faster and more capable than my e46, but I just didn't LOVE the car the way I felt when I bought the e46.

I had turned to BMW's options sheet to spec an F30 with a litany of whiz-bang technology, only to find that I really wanted was something more visceral. So I went in search of something else, and found the solution with one of BMW's German neighbors. Enter the new addition... an '07 Porsche Cayman S.

Let me be clear... the F30 is a great car and is FAR more practical than the Cayman. For those on this forum who (like me), have expressed concerns about being removed from the driving experience, all I can say is that I have been physically unable to remove the ear-to-ear grin from my face after copious hours of the Cayman's snarly exhaust, mid-engine balance, knee-high to a June bug driving position, and rifle-bolt 6-speed.

I'm not leaving the BMW family as I'm keeping the e46 and am eagerly awaiting the specs and details on the upcoming M2. In the mean time, a big thanks to the forum mods for proving excellent information on the F30's specs and to all the members who satiated my lust for pics of EBII. Happy motoring, all!
Errm...ok
GB72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
stom_m3
Private
 
Drives: Sequoia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Congrats!!! Great car. I personally had a 997S and loved it. Sold it back in 2010 to get the new 2012 991S until I realized the price differential from old to new. I have to have 4 seats and the 911 fits that bill pretty well. I'll eventually work my way back to Porsche. It's a completely different feel. Enjoy the car!
stom_m3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
sr5959
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Looks great, congratulations!!! But why no red calipers on the rear?
sr5959 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
alpinweiss 335i
Colonel
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 2,799
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Looks great, and yeah, i'm sure drives much better than the f30. Apple and oranges come to mind here.


Congrats! Clean car. What's your warranty situation?
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
DarkTrigger
Professional
 
DarkTrigger's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

Posts: 966
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Looks great, and yeah, i'm sure drives much better than the f30. Apple and oranges come to mind here.


Congrats! Clean car. What's your warranty situation?
+1

He must not have kids....
DarkTrigger is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
finaloption
Second Lieutenant
 
finaloption's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 n26
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

so basically the point of this thread was to bash the f30...
finaloption is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stom_m3 View Post
Congrats!!! Great car. I personally had a 997S and loved it. Sold it back in 2010 to get the new 2012 991S until I realized the price differential from old to new. I have to have 4 seats and the 911 fits that bill pretty well. I'll eventually work my way back to Porsche. It's a completely different feel. Enjoy the car!
Thanks! Definitely a different feel. The Cayman is a blast for canyon carving, but dunno if I would use this as a commuter car. BMW definitely holds the advantage when it comes to pricing. Porsche offers incredible amounts of customization, but the options and pricing drive the sticker through the roof faster than the car's 0 - 60 times! I'm lucky to have picked this one up, gently-used (27k miles), for 1/2 of its original price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
Looks great, congratulations!!! But why no red calipers on the rear?
It has them. It's just the lighting in the pic that makes it look otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Looks great, and yeah, i'm sure drives much better than the f30. Apple and oranges come to mind here. Congrats! Clean car. What's your warranty situation?
Thanks! The original warranty has long since expired, so I'm surfing the Cayman forums and learning a lot about what can/cannot be done as a DIY project.
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
+1 He must not have kids....
Lol... correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
so basically the point of this thread was to bash the f30...
Uh... no. Perhaps you missed the part where I said that the F30 is a great car. It just wasn't the best solution for my needs.
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
GB72
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: uk

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption
so basically the point of this thread was to bash the f30...
I personally think its more of a girls Porsche!
GB72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
alpinweiss 335i
Colonel
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 2,799
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by finaloption View Post
so basically the point of this thread was to bash the f30...

I don't believe so. I think the point was for a potential f30 owner to show some fellow BMW enthusiasts his very nice, new wheels. And also to remind the rest of us that we are suckers for paying $50k for a sedan. J/K!
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
alpinweiss 335i
Colonel
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 2,799
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
I personally think its more of a girls Porsche!

No sir, that was reserved for the last generation Porsche Boxter. I personally don't see anything girly about a Cayman, and wish my personal circumstances permitted for me to buy one. It's pretty much a 'de-tuned' 911 on a lighter body. Pure Enthusiasts car right there.
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
roadcarver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tellico, TN

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

You have great taste in automobiles IMO. I have an 08 e92 that I plan on keeping much longer but plan on either adding an upcoming 235i or a lightly used Porsche Cayman in the next couple of years. We just bought the wife a new 335i m sport which we do like but I understand your feeling of being not quite as connected to the car as your current BMW. I have discovered that after driving her new car for extended drives one does start to bond with it quite nicely though. It is just a little different driving experience but it is a great driving and handling automobile nonetheless. This being said though I am really craving a Cayman right now. By the way, are you a cyclists also, I have been riding for over 25 years now. I dont race but ride 150 to 250 miles a week all year. I think biking makes us better drivers also as it seems to keep the reflexes sharp.
roadcarver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
GB72
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: uk

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
I personally think its more of a girls Porsche!

No sir, that was reserved for the last generation Porsche Boxter. I personally don't see anything girly about a Cayman, and wish my personal circumstances permitted for me to buy one. It's pretty much a 'de-tuned' 911 on a lighter body. Pure Enthusiasts car right there.
Only joking its a excellent car and I'm a tad jealous!
GB72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
johnofcross
Second Lieutenant
 
johnofcross's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 284
iTrader: (0)

You wanted a more 'visceral' feel, and this Porsche will definitely more than provide. F30 compromises more, and it sacrifices 'visceral' feel for everyday comfort. Have fun and enjoy your ride! I remember you wanted that AH3 badly, unless I've mistaken your avatar for someone else.
__________________
2013 BMW 335i Sedan Estoril Blue II M Sport 19" 403M|6MT|Dynamic Handling|Tech Package|Coral Red Leather|Park Distance Control|Harmon Kardon
johnofcross is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
I personally think its more of a girls Porsche!
Find somebody who has one, then take it to a track or a good technical road and see if you feel the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
I don't believe so. I think the point was for a potential f30 owner to show some fellow BMW enthusiasts his very nice, new wheels. And also to remind the rest of us that we are suckers for paying $50k for a sedan. J/K!

I personally don't see anything girly about a Cayman, and wish my personal circumstances permitted for me to buy one. Pure Enthusiasts car right there.
^^This. If I were limited to having 1 car, I wouldn't have picked the Cayman. Interior/storage space is limited and frankly, the mpg blows (though that might just be attributable to my driving style ). I'm very fortunate that my life and budget accommodates a daily driver and a "fun" weekend car. I thought that as a site for car enthusiasts, people might appreciate knowing that there are other options out there. BTW, used Caymans can easily be found priced in the mid-30s and insurance was on par with an F30.

Moral of the story is that life is short... live the life you want to live!
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #17
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
You wanted a more 'visceral' feel, and this Porsche will definitely more than provide. F30 compromises more, and it sacrifices 'visceral' feel for everyday comfort. Have fun and enjoy your ride! I remember you wanted that AH3 badly, unless I've mistaken your avatar for someone else.
Thanks, man! The AH3 was somebody else. Having spent some time with one, it's an interesting car, but not my cup of tea.
Cheers!
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
lukeb817
Lieutenant
 
lukeb817's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 491
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
With 12 years and 200k on the clock of my beloved e46 325i, I was excited at the announcement of the new F30 3er and began stashing away as much cash as I could to "pre-fund" the car's purchase. I planned to wait for the F30 M-Sport package and take European Delivery on an Estoril Blue/Black Dakota 335 with 6MT, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, and ZCW.

Fast forward a few months and I had the opportunity spend some serious seat time in a friend's 335 ZSL and another friend's AH3. One thing kept bugging me... In every measurable dimension, it's faster and more capable than my e46, but I just didn't LOVE the car the way I felt when I bought the e46.

I had turned to BMW's options sheet to spec an F30 with a litany of whiz-bang technology, only to find that I really wanted was something more visceral. So I went in search of something else, and found the solution with one of BMW's German neighbors. Enter the new addition... an '07 Porsche Cayman S.

Let me be clear... the F30 is a great car and is FAR more practical than the Cayman. For those on this forum who (like me), have expressed concerns about being removed from the driving experience, all I can say is that I have been physically unable to remove the ear-to-ear grin from my face after copious hours of the Cayman's snarly exhaust, mid-engine balance, knee-high to a June bug driving position, and rifle-bolt 6-speed.

I'm not leaving the BMW family as I'm keeping the e46 and am eagerly awaiting the specs and details on the upcoming M2. In the mean time, a big thanks to the forum mods for proving excellent information on the F30's specs and to all the members who satiated my lust for pics of EBII. Happy motoring, all!
Congrats! Very nice, I considered a Cayman as well, but alas, I couldn't escape the practical realities of getting older...and went for the first sedan in my life. I love my F30 335, but have to admit I'm a bit envious of your Cayman S. Check out a few clips of the Capristo exhaust for the Cayman S on YouTube...very cool.
__________________
08/20/12 Euro Delivery (Re-delivered in U.S. 09/29/12): 2013 335i M Sport | 6MT | Alpine White | Coral Red | Tech | Cold Weather | Dynamic Handling | Rearview Camera | Park Distance Control | M Perf. Power Kit | M Perf. Brakes (red) | M Perf. Exhaust | M Perf. grilles | H&R Sport springs | 19" AG M510s | BMS clutch stop | Matched reflectors
lukeb817 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
You have great taste in automobiles IMO. I have an 08 e92 that I plan on keeping much longer but plan on either adding an upcoming 235i or a lightly used Porsche Cayman in the next couple of years. We just bought the wife a new 335i m sport which we do like but I understand your feeling of being not quite as connected to the car as your current BMW. I have discovered that after driving her new car for extended drives one does start to bond with it quite nicely though. It is just a little different driving experience but it is a great driving and handling automobile nonetheless. This being said though I am really craving a Cayman right now. By the way, are you a cyclists also, I have been riding for over 25 years now. I dont race but ride 150 to 250 miles a week all year. I think biking makes us better drivers also as it seems to keep the reflexes sharp.
Definitely a different driving experience. The F30 is decidedly more comfy and much quieter, whilst maintaining impressive performance credentials. This might sound weird, but I actually felt like acceleration in the F30 was a bit too easy. In a straight line, the F30 is likely a bit faster than a Gen 1 Cayman S, but I love the Cayman's soundtrack and working the engine to wring out performance.

Yup, a cyclist as well. I hung up the racing career after a few seasons as I just didn't have the time to do credit to the training and spent what felt like every spare moment to be a lowly Cat 4. I have an enormous amount of respect for folks who have the dedication required for racing. Now I do weekend rides and commute to work a few days a week and have to say I'm happier for it. I wholeheartedly agree that cycling makes a better/more engaged driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Congrats! Very nice, I considered a Cayman as well, but alas, I couldn't escape the practical realities of getting older...and went for the first sedan in my life. I love my F30 335, but have to admit I'm a bit envious of your Cayman S. Check out a few clips of the Capristo exhaust for the Cayman S on YouTube...very cool.
Thanks! The Cayman is definitely a blast and a brilliant dance partner in the twisties. I lucked out and found a car with the factory sport exhaust. No power gain, but sounds good and is very quiet at cruising speeds. That Capristo exhaust sounds amazing!
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2013 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2013 VW GTI  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Congrats, great pick-up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
You have great taste in automobiles IMO. I have an 08 e92 that I plan on keeping much longer but plan on either adding an upcoming 235i or a lightly used Porsche Cayman in the next couple of years. We just bought the wife a new 335i m sport which we do like but I understand your feeling of being not quite as connected to the car as your current BMW. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
This might sound weird, but I actually felt like acceleration in the F30 was a bit too easy.
I felt the same way after testing an F30 335i Sportline. It was less visceral and "fast" felt strangely "too easy" as well. So I know what you mean.

Later on, I got to test a 335i M Sport with the M adaptive suspension and I liked that one better.

Nevertheless, you wanted visceral, and you went straight to the best in that price range IMHO.

Doesn't take anything away from the F30. They just have different objectives. The upcoming M2 may be a better replacement for your E46.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
JulieDriving is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
DerekS
Captain
 
DerekS's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i M Sport GS
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver,B.C.

Posts: 912
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats on your "new" Cayman ! Very sharp looking car ! I would never have guessed the MY from the photo; it looks like new !

Very nice photo too; that orange building in the background really transmits some energy into the composition.

Happy riding !
__________________
2013-335i M Sport, 8 spd, Glacier silver, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, 18" style 400 staggered wheels/tires, M Sport brakes,
DerekS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
 
ZMM_OMG's Avatar
 
Drives: '01 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 328
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Congrats, great pick-up!

I felt the same way after testing an F30 335i Sportline. It was less visceral and "fast" felt strangely "too easy" as well. So I know what you mean. Later on, I got to test a 335i M Sport with the M adaptive suspension and I liked that one better.

Nevertheless, you wanted visceral, and you went straight to the best in that price range IMHO.

Doesn't take anything away from the F30. They just have different objectives. The upcoming M2 may be a better replacement for your E46.
Thanks Julie! I'm definitely looking forward to the specs on the M2.

LOVE your e92 M3! A buddy of mine has an Interlagos Blue e90 M3 and that car is NUTZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Congrats on your "new" Cayman ! Very sharp looking car ! I would never have guessed the MY from the photo; it looks like new !

Very nice photo too; that orange building in the background really transmits some energy into the composition.

Happy riding !
Thanks Derek! The condition was definitely one of the selling points. Whoever owned it before took great care of it and it shows. The interior is absolutely flawless! Thanks for the feedback on the photo... it was definitely a happy accident... lol.

Question for you... does the M-sport package come standard with the turbine wheels in Canada? Looks great!
ZMM_OMG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST