BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #23
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

Posts: 1,840
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
haha Yes print this and show them... warranty out or not they still should replace it.. if not call BMW corp... i dont know if that would help but at least you have something that in writing.
Honestly,
I wouldnt put it past my dealership to say they will honor it, then just not do anything.

I guess it's worth a shot.
CSanto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I have a question for you guys....i have only 13K miles on my car , I had change the oil three times now ( the car was first registered in Dec 09) so it just three years old , do I wait till the car has actually done 37k miles then change the plugs , or change it at the next oil service ?(will be done by me ).
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
I have a question for you guys....i have only 13K miles on my car , I had change the oil three times now ( the car was first registered in Dec 09) so it just three years old , do I wait till the car has actually done 37k miles then change the plugs , or change it at the next oil service ?(will be done by me ).
I personally cut everything BMW says about mileage in half. I would change them around 15-18k.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I personally cut everything BMW says about mileage in half. I would change them around 15-18k.
yeah your probably right, so best to change next oil service then .

cheers
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I personally cut everything BMW says about mileage in half. I would change them around 15-18k.
WOW... on a sparkplug its not going to change anything... change it every 30k... even guys that tracks constantly dont replace it that often..
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
WOW... on a sparkplug its not going to change anything... change it every 30k... even guys that tracks constantly dont replace it that often..

ah that makes sense as well ...but in my case that another 4 years till its needs changing !! is that wise ?
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
WOW... on a sparkplug its not going to change anything... change it every 30k... even guys that tracks constantly dont replace it that often..
Sure it makes a difference. Many people are having them changed ~ 20k from other posters here. 37k is just the MAX you want them to go. Since I drive 4k/year, changing them every 4-4.5 years seems reasonable for leaving a plug in the head.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #30
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,566
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
ah that makes sense as well ...but in my case that another 4 years till its needs changing !! is that wise ?
I've had the car for the last five years, and I am trying the change the plugs for the first time in 36k km. I don't think the performance has suffered, it's for the sake of a peaceful mind and keep things fresh.

Now that I can do the engine oil, brake oil, now the spark plugs, it's easy to keep the serviceable areas in mint condition. I am also enjoying my new found ability to service the car. All thanks to this forum.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #31
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Sure it makes a difference. Many people are having them changed ~ 20k from other posters here. 37k is just the MAX you want them to go. Since I drive 4k/year, changing them every 4-4.5 years seems reasonable for leaving a plug in the head.
well i guess in your case i would do the same.. but replacing their sparkplug at 15k-18k maybe thats just being OCD... My dad was a mechanic for more than 25 years all cars now retired and replacing spark plug that often is just a waste... they dont change anything on the car unless it is needed to replace per service manual at this point our cars is at 37k... i do mine at 30k.... My last sparkplug change did it at 40k.. just cause i didnt have the tools to do it..plugs was still in good conditions. i dont know maybe its just me... oil change is a different story... i change mine every 7k tranny at 15k-25k (depends on how my tranny feels. Diff at 25k.
__________________

Last edited by Sean05; 01-30-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
well i guess in your case i would do the same.. but replacing their sparkplug at 15k-18k maybe thats just being OCD... My dad was a mechanic for more than 25 years all cars now retired and replacing spark plug that often is just a waste... they dont change anything on the car unless it is needed to replace per service manual at this point our cars is at 37k... i do mine at 30k.... My last sparkplug change did it at 40k.. just cause i didnt have the tools to do it..plugs was still in good conditions. i dont know maybe its just me... oil change is a different story... i change mine every 7k tranny at 15k-25k (depends on how my tranny feels. Diff at 25k.
I agree, Sean. It was just the longevity of the plug in the head. The previous owner took exceptional care of the vehicle so for me, $150 or so every 3 years is ok. For those doing 15-18k/year, probably keeping the plugs in good shape, tracking probably keeps the plugs clean as well. You just reminded me to do the diff soon.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStig View Post
I am planning on doing my Diff and tranny witht he next oil change in about 2000 miles.

Need to start purchasing the fluids.
i did mine and it was a easy...

just an FYI...

FLUIDS cost internet price picked up...

$90+ for the Tranny
$60+ for the diff.

called several dealers and said quoted me almost 200 for the tranny and 150 for the diff... just making sure you dont pay that much...

i did a DIY with photos so part number should be there.. just check it out.
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #34
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
thanks for the advice you guys...... I think I'll change the plugs at the end of this year as that a good compromise .
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #35
uplusd
Lieutenant
 
uplusd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 458
iTrader: (7)

Do I need extra coils? I heard they break easily?
uplusd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #36
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplusd View Post
Do I need extra coils? I heard they break easily?
no they dont break easily they are talking about the coil head.. this is why you need a coil puller otherwise you will break the coil head... that is where you need to pull the coil...

if your careful enough it should be ok... but without the coil puller from TxStig im sure it will break...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #37
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
no they dont break easily they are talking about the coil head.. this is why you need a coil puller otherwise you will break the coil head... that is where you need to pull the coil...

if your careful enough it should be ok... but without the coil puller from TxStig im sure it will break...
I used my fingers and wiggled them out from the base, but the puller would have been nice(r), agree.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #38
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I used my fingers and wiggled them out from the base, but the puller would have been nice(r), agree.
oh that is why its recommended to get the puller avoid wiggling the coil... that can damage the coils...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #39
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
oh that is why its recommended to get the puller avoid wiggling the coil... that can damage the coils...
The plastic area where the puller slide in, seemed weak, I was worried I'd break it off. The older style puller for the E46M3 uses a twist back-and-forth method. How can using fingers damage them though?
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #40
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The plastic area where the puller slide in, seemed weak, I was worried I'd break it off. The older style puller for the E46M3 uses a twist back-and-forth method. How can using fingers damage them though?
twisting them and pull is ok ... when you said wiggled i assume something else.

i meant to say to avoid bending it while pulling some people do that...

but twist and pull is usually what everyone does...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #41
uplusd
Lieutenant
 
uplusd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NorCal

Posts: 458
iTrader: (7)

where do you buy the puller?
uplusd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #42
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uplusd View Post
where do you buy the puller?
Read this thread.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #43
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,725
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
twisting them and pull is ok ... when you said wiggled i assume something else.

i meant to say to avoid bending it while pulling some people do that...

but twist and pull is usually what everyone does...
You're gonna make me spend some $ on this tool, which I should do anyway.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #44
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStig View Post
I have 12 tools left and not sure when I will order another batch right now...I am hoping to sell a bunch this weekend at the M Club track meet in Houston so get em before they are all gone!!
oh it will sell for sure.. majority of people dont click on the DIY until they see a problem or want to see something they are thinking of doing...

Track meet... no doubt...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST