BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think what the E46 gains in power over the E36...it gives back in weight. But the S54 is more reliable. Can you say oil pump nut?

But the E9X is a beast. Bone stock, I think it would be better for auto-x since it rotates with throttle much better than the E46. In the E90 just pin the throttle to the floor with a little steering input...you'll be facing where you just came from in a split second.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #24
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,989
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

But the E9X is a beast. Bone stock, I think it would be better for auto-x since it rotates with throttle much better than the E46. In the E90 just pin the throttle to the floor with a little steering input...you'll be facing where you just came from in a split second.
I agree with this. Throttle steer is very easy in the E90.. very sensitive. I can barely ever go full throttle without the rear losing traction. Most of the time I have to feather it to keep the front pointing the right way.

Unfortunately the E90 is too big and heavy to be competitive at autocross. Smaller cars dominate due to the sharp corners and quick exit speeds needed in autocross. You can carry momentum better. Big high powered cars spin their power away with wheel spin or work the tires too hard.

Here is one of my autocross runs from last year. I get tail wagging every time I try to put my foot down. I am using the Normal throttle setting.

Last edited by Z K; 01-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
Parkanzky
Private First Class
 
Drives: '10 SGM M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

I have an e90 M3 and an Elise and I'd autocross the Elise over the BMW any day. But I've also had a few Miatas and if I were to get into autocrossing, I'd buy another of those for that. They handle really well. Very toss-able. On top of that, they're cheap to buy, bulletproof, parts (stock and mods) are cheap and plentiful. They're basically the perfect car to buy if you want something that you can ride hard, put away wet and not feel guilty about.
Parkanzky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #26
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I agree with this. Throttle steer is very easy in the E90.. very sensitive. I can barely ever go full throttle without the rear losing traction. Most of the time I have to feather it to keep the front pointing the right way.

Unfortunately the E90 is too big and heavy to be competitive at autocross. Smaller cars dominate due to the sharp corners and quick exit speeds needed in autocross. You can carry momentum better. Big high powered cars spin their power away with wheel spin or work the tires too hard.

Here is one of my autocross runs from last year. I get tail wagging every time I try to put my foot down. I am using the Normal throttle setting.
Wow that's nice, I would have got lost lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
I have an e90 M3 and an Elise and I'd autocross the Elise over the BMW any day. But I've also had a few Miatas and if I were to get into autocrossing, I'd buy another of those for that. They handle really well. Very toss-able. On top of that, they're cheap to buy, bulletproof, parts (stock and mods) are cheap and plentiful. They're basically the perfect car to buy if you want something that you can ride hard, put away wet and not feel guilty about.
What about bigger tracks? Like the autobahn in Joliet Illinois? That's my local track so that pretty much my only option.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
Parkanzky
Private First Class
 
Drives: '10 SGM M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
What about bigger tracks? Like the autobahn in Joliet Illinois? That's my local track so that pretty much my only option.
I thought you said you wanted to get into autocross? When I've done that, it's in parking lots full of cones. Sometimes they do it at race tracks, but they'll use cones to add chicanes and slaloms to keep speeds down. If that's what you want to do, then the Elise/Miata/S2000 are, in my opinion, the best options.

If you want to run big tracks (And I've driven Autobahn and really liked it), you'll feel like the stock Miata is way underpowered. You'll probably feel that way about the Elise after awhile too. I haven't driven the M3 on the track yet, but I'm guessing that I'd eventually decide it was underpowered. It seems you can never have enough power...
Parkanzky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
I have an e90 M3 and an Elise and I'd autocross the Elise over the BMW any day.
Yeah but he was comparing a stock E9X to a stock E46. The E46 will be understeer hell for auto-x if its totally stock. I really think the E9X will kick the E46's ass in an auto-X, both being stock. Yeah its heavy but a skilled driver can rotate the E9X much quicker.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
GotE46M
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2002 CB M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: O.C, Socal

Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)

I would definitely consider the S2000 as well.
GotE46M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Slapshot9
First Lieutenant
 
Slapshot9's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 JzB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoFla

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

E36 325i, even cheaper and runs a class down. Miata is a better option for strict autocrossing.
Slapshot9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #31
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkanzky View Post
I thought you said you wanted to get into autocross? When I've done that, it's in parking lots full of cones. Sometimes they do it at race tracks, but they'll use cones to add chicanes and slaloms to keep speeds down. If that's what you want to do, then the Elise/Miata/S2000 are, in my opinion, the best options.

If you want to run big tracks (And I've driven Autobahn and really liked it), you'll feel like the stock Miata is way underpowered. You'll probably feel that way about the Elise after awhile too. I haven't driven the M3 on the track yet, but I'm guessing that I'd eventually decide it was underpowered. It seems you can never have enough power...
No I do, but I guess I'm still trying to figure out what the best alternative is and what car to go with. I really prefer rwd and you guys are saying that the cheaper cars like neons and stuff are better for auto cross.

I wouldn't mind having a car for both worlds autox and the bigger tracks, e36 m3 just seems like the route to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
E36 325i, even cheaper and runs a class down. Miata is a better option for strict autocrossing.
Yeah even cheaper then the m3 and easier to find.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #32
bigjae1976
Takes threads off topic...daily
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,257
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot9 View Post
E36 325i, even cheaper and runs a class down. Miata is a better option for strict autocrossing.
But its a Miata.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST