BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Taxvictim
Private First Class
United_States
9
Rep
193
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 328i, Titanium Silver 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wake County, NC

iTrader: (1)

Funny story overheard at the stealership.

Sitting at the Raleigh dealership waiting for my car, a woman got some very bad news about her 7 series. She was up from Florida and her CEL tripped. Even though the car was apparently running well, the service manager told her it would cost $8k to fix her problem.

The woman looked shocked and told the service guy she needed to call her husband. Before she could do that, another woman walked up to her.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help but overhear what just happened. Let me tell you, the same thing happened to me last year in my Mercedes. I told them to just turn off the check engine light, and I would decide later. Once the light was off, I took the car straight to CarMax and sold it within the hour."
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
rorkor's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
278
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [5.00]
2011 E90 328i  [5.00]
And that's why I won't buy a used car from a dealer.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
JasonDCarton
Captain
JasonDCarton's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
759
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.75]
Owner of the Mercedes is one crafty lady
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
upstatedoc's Avatar
53
Rep
1,592
Posts

 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
And that's why I won't buy a used car from a dealer.
That's what I said.
__________________
2014 S.S. P938 Nightmare
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
J02 335i's Avatar
Canada
17
Rep
1,538
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I thought she was going to say "I took it to an indy shop and got it fixed for $1500, you should do the same."
__________________

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
StevenY.
///M
StevenY.'s Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,758
Posts

 
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (1)

LOL. What a smart lady.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
cmyk
resident girl.
cmyk's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,016
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
That reminds me of when I got rid of my Jetta because the Airbag light came on. 70k+ trouble-free miles and I was sort of considering keeping it for the long haul and getting the 335 I had picked out as my second/weekend car...one day driving down the highway the Airbag light came on....took a quick exit to the BMW dealership and immediately traded it in on the spot. lol

A woman I work with turned in her lease early on her 5 series because she got a nail in her tire (wish I was making that up).
__________________


2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Smooth 330i
Major
Smooth 330i's Avatar
17
Rep
1,069
Posts

 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
That reminds me of when I got rid of my Jetta because the Airbag light came on. 70k+ trouble-free miles and I was sort of considering keeping it for the long haul and getting the 335 I had picked out as my second/weekend car...one day driving down the highway the Airbag light came on....took a quick exit to the BMW dealership and immediately traded it in on the spot. lol

A woman I work with turned in her lease early on her 5 series because she got a nail in her tire (wish I was making that up).
My coworker traded in her Rav4 with 30Kmi because she needed new brakes and tires. No joke ...
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

8k is not a lot to someone who buys a 100k car. It is, however, a lot to someone who buys those cars used. It's common knowledge that 8 cyl. Leak coolant, and it costs 10k to repair. What does she want her husband to do or say?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NokTurNaL 330i View Post
My coworker traded in her Rav4 with 30Kmi because she needed new brakes and tires. No joke ...
Lots of people lack common sense nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDCarton View Post
Owner of the Mercedes is one crafty lady
I don't buy it. Car Max is in the uh, car business. Do you think for one minute they are gonna get duped on a trade? By an SES being turned off? C'mon now.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
Verbatim
Colonel
Verbatim's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I don't buy it. Car Max is in the uh, car business. Do you think for one minute they are gonna get duped on a trade? By an SES being turned off? C'mon now.
Codes are cleared, and assuming it will not return for a couple days, I don't see why not.
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #13
chazzz
Captain
chazzz's Avatar
24
Rep
681
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
8k is not a lot to someone who buys a 100k car. It is, however, a lot to someone who buys those cars used. It's common knowledge that 8 cyl. Leak coolant, and it costs 10k to repair. What does she want her husband to do or say?
BMW 7 series with eight cylinder engines (2001-2003) are known to have coolant leak. There is a simple, cheaper fix, so the customers don't have to spend $8k to 10k.

See the link: http://www.allgermanauto.com/product/index.html
__________________
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, Montego Blue with Lemon seats, AluFelgen CS7 rims & Continental DW tires
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Mr.Smithers
Second Lieutenant
Mr.Smithers's Avatar
4
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
Codes are cleared, and assuming it will not return for a couple days, I don't see why not.
Just because codes are cleared doesn't mean they can't check its not working. As soon as you hook up he OBD scanner to the car, the computer will show that it hasn't picked up a lot of things (emissions, etc) Any person working with cars will know that obviously the car codes have been cleared and prolly wouldnt take the car in until its been driven for a few miles for the codes to come back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
AddictedToBavarian's Avatar
Portugal
38
Rep
2,762
Posts

 
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
And that's why I won't buy a used car from a dealer.
Because used cars are doomed?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
GOTMH8N's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,022
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: c

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDCarton View Post
Owner of the Mercedes is one crafty lady
agreed haha That's pretty damn smart
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
menewtobmw
Private First Class
4
Rep
160
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmember343 View Post
Just because codes are cleared doesn't mean they can't check its not working. As soon as you hook up he OBD scanner to the car, the computer will show that it hasn't picked up a lot of things (emissions, etc) Any person working with cars will know that obviously the car codes have been cleared and prolly wouldnt take the car in until its been driven for a few miles for the codes to come back on.
Do dealerships actually hook it up to an OBD? I have never seen that.
__________________
2007 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Sethism
Private First Class
Sethism's Avatar
1
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i Xdrive Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: St Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmember343 View Post
Just because codes are cleared doesn't mean they can't check its not working. As soon as you hook up he OBD scanner to the car, the computer will show that it hasn't picked up a lot of things (emissions, etc) Any person working with cars will know that obviously the car codes have been cleared and prolly wouldnt take the car in until its been driven for a few miles for the codes to come back on.
As someone who used to sell cars, I can promise you that no tech is going to even inspect the car. The sales manager (used car manager at most large dealerships) will do a brief assesment of the car and make a valuation based on how the car is presented.

If you are an immoral son of a bitch, you will be able to pull a fast one by clearing the code and trading in before the light comes on. Just be sure not to complain when you buy a used car and it's a total piece of shit, due to a P.O. with the same moral compass.
__________________
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u474/sethdude1/Sig_zpsadfce59b.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I don't buy it. Car Max is in the uh, car business. Do you think for one minute they are gonna get duped on a trade? By an SES being turned off? C'mon now.
Exactly. Ridiculous .
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxvictim View Post
Sitting at the Raleigh dealership waiting for my car, a woman got some very bad news about her 7 series. She was up from Florida and her CEL tripped. Even though the car was apparently running well, the service manager told her it would cost $8k to fix her problem.

The woman looked shocked and told the service guy she needed to call her husband. Before she could do that, another woman walked up to her.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but I couldn't help but overhear what just happened. Let me tell you, the same thing happened to me last year in my Mercedes. I told them to just turn off the check engine light, and I would decide later. Once the light was off, I took the car straight to CarMax and sold it within the hour."
If that worked/happened, that's brutal.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
Savage93R17
Private
Savage93R17's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
98
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Raleigh NC

iTrader: (0)

I think someone did this with the 335i I bought, smh
__________________
2008 Montego Blue e90 335i -- AFE Exhaust, BMS Dual Intake
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
Mr.Smithers
Second Lieutenant
Mr.Smithers's Avatar
4
Rep
229
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E92 328xi
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethism View Post
As someone who used to sell cars, I can promise you that no tech is going to even inspect the car. The sales manager (used car manager at most large dealerships) will do a brief assesment of the car and make a valuation based on how the car is presented.

If you are an immoral son of a bitch, you will be able to pull a fast one by clearing the code and trading in before the light comes on. Just be sure not to complain when you buy a used car and it's a total piece of shit, due to a P.O. with the same moral compass.
Oh ok, I was speaking from experiences on yearly car inspections. I've had many cars which had 02 sensor lights on and i tried clearing the code before the inspection but it would fail every time lol
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST