BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
myicedm3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 LCI e92 M3 ZCP 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Sirius Satellite Module Add-On

Does anyone know if a sirius satellite module from a e90 07 335i' (pre-LCI) will retrofit into a e92 12' M3 coupe?

The dealer looked up my VIN # and said that my car is prewired for siruis, so it should be a go, however....

The module part numbers are different for both cars and pre vs. post LCI, wondering if this matters or not?

any help is appreciated


myicedm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Sirius tuners are built-in into the OEM HU (order Sirius from factory only) or the iDrive unit (standard) from MY2010-on. Meaning: you cannot install one, there is no pre-wire, and no software support for an external tuner.

Enabling codes activation required. Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details on activation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
Does anyone know if a sirius satellite module from a e90 07 335i' (pre-LCI) will retrofit into a e92 12' M3 coupe?

The dealer looked up my VIN # and said that my car is prewired for siruis, so it should be a go, however....

The module part numbers are different for both cars and pre vs. post LCI, wondering if this matters or not?

any help is appreciated


__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #3
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,641
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
Does anyone know if a sirius satellite module from a e90 07 335i' (pre-LCI) will retrofit into a e92 12' M3 coupe?

The dealer looked up my VIN # and said that my car is prewired for siruis, so it should be a go, however....

The module part numbers are different for both cars and pre vs. post LCI, wondering if this matters or not?

any help is appreciated


You can add a tuner to your car, although it's slightly more of a pain. You will need a MOST bus extension (route the Fiber to the SDARS unit), the Satellite module, and power/ground and antenna. You can use Power off of pin 17/18 going to the TCU and any of the grounds there.

In terms of software support, the CIC's have it but will require a slight amount of coding to tell the CIC that the tuner is external.

Since your car is prewired, you could run an antenna extension wire from the CIC to the donor SDARS unit in the trunk.

But in all honesty, it's better just getting your internal tuner activated.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You can add a tuner to your car, although it's slightly more of a pain. You will need a MOST bus extension (route the Fiber to the SDARS unit), the Satellite module, and power/ground and antenna. You can use Power off of pin 17/18 going to the TCU and any of the grounds there.

In terms of software support, the CIC's have it but will require a slight amount of coding to tell the CIC that the tuner is external.

Since your car is prewired, you could run an antenna extension wire from the CIC to the donor SDARS unit in the trunk.

But in all honesty, it's better just getting your internal tuner activated.
It is not pre-wired, Mike... that went away once the built-in tuners showed up. And his MY2012 CIC no longer supports dual Sirius setups even if he tries to retrofit the cabling required. His dealer is simply not reading the last 3 years of BMW documentation.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
myicedm3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 LCI e92 M3 ZCP 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have bummer techs contact info? I did a search but more than one username popped up...

Also, with activation of the internal module, who does that and how much might it cost? Only bimmertech can do or if I tell the dealership to activate the internal ,double maybe they can do it? It's weird as hell b/c when u ask them they say up need to buy a 1250$ module and its 200-300 to install

So confusing
myicedm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
myicedm3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 LCI e92 M3 ZCP 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

here is what the dealer sent me when i asked them how to get sirius on my car, they said they have to check for prewiring and heres what he emailed me

12 line down code 0693:
Attached Images
 
myicedm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
$693 = Sat antenna plugged into your CIC.

That's it.

There is a Sirius tuner in your car already, all connected and ready to go... once you load a set of FSC into it (one-year service included): http://www.m3post.com/forums/member.php?u=59568

Dealer FSC MSRP = $375 plus programming labor.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,641
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is not pre-wired, Mike... that went away once the built-in tuners showed up. And his MY2012 CIC no longer supports dual Sirius setups even if he tries to retrofit the cabling required. His dealer is simply not reading the last 3 years of BMW documentation.
Not sure how you can say that the MY 2012 CIC "no longer supports dual sirius setups". All of the CIC's, to my understanding, can be configured to use the internal tuner if equipped and certificate loaded, or the external tuner VIA MOST. None of them supported "both" internal and external at the same time anyway. You'd have to pick one depending on the situation.

My CIC is from a 2012 car that did not have sirius. It works perfectly with my 2008 external tuner.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #9
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,641
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It is not pre-wired, Mike... that went away once the built-in tuners showed up. And his MY2012 CIC no longer supports dual Sirius setups even if he tries to retrofit the cabling required. His dealer is simply not reading the last 3 years of BMW documentation.
When I say "prewired" I don't mean the wiring in the rear. I mean the SDARS wiring from the back of the CIC for satellite reception. Obviously cars with built in SDARS in the CIC will not have wiring in the trunk for the SDARS module.

OP: Contact http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/

They are a great group of guys - talk to Alex and tell them I sent you.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Not sure how you can say that the MY 2012 CIC "no longer supports dual sirius setups". All of the CIC's, to my understanding, can be configured to use the internal tuner if equipped and certificate loaded, or the external tuner VIA MOST. None of them supported "both" internal and external at the same time anyway. You'd have to pick one depending on the situation.

My CIC is from a 2012 car that did not have sirius. It works perfectly with my 2008 external tuner.
Ummm... it did not work with one customer of mine. Good to know.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
When I say "prewired" I don't mean the wiring in the rear. I mean the SDARS wiring from the back of the CIC for satellite reception. Obviously cars with built in SDARS in the CIC will not have wiring in the trunk for the SDARS module.

OP: Contact http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/

They are a great group of guys - talk to Alex and tell them I sent you.
But the OP's dealer did mean it, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
djseto
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

IMHO the Sirius Satellite radio sounds like shit the two BMW cars I've owned (2010 335i (sold) and 2008 M3 (still own)). I've had 8 cars in the last 7 years and the BMW Sirius tuners are by far the worst. The quality of the audio is very poor... you can hear the compression. I have satellite radio in my Infiniti SUV and I wont even bother paying for it in my M3. My M3 has the EHP System and my Infiniti has a Bose system. I've never liked Bose audio (home or car) but the Infiniti Satellite radio sounds very close to CD audio (more like high bit rate MP3), but it blows away the BMW. Unless something changed for 2012, I wouldn't even waste your money.
djseto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
kscarrol
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 2,147
iTrader: (0)

Can't argue on the sound quality (not great) but it is great to have on road trips. No need to fumble looking for a decent local station and has all the talk/sports channels one could want. Ultimately depends on the driver's needs...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
 
skypx's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 643
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
IMHO the Sirius Satellite radio sounds like shit the two BMW cars I've owned (2010 335i (sold) and 2008 M3 (still own)). I've had 8 cars in the last 7 years and the BMW Sirius tuners are by far the worst. The quality of the audio is very poor... you can hear the compression. I have satellite radio in my Infiniti SUV and I wont even bother paying for it in my M3. My M3 has the EHP System and my Infiniti has a Bose system. I've never liked Bose audio (home or car) but the Infiniti Satellite radio sounds very close to CD audio (more like high bit rate MP3), but it blows away the BMW. Unless something changed for 2012, I wouldn't even waste your money.
+1 still sounds like shit.
skypx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,214
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
That's because Sirius is compressed audio, typically equivalent to a 64kbps audio rate. Most MP3s are at 192kbps, with CD format being at 320kbps.

OP: FSC code activation is all that is required. No need to complicate the issue further.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
djseto
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
That's because Sirius is compressed audio, typically equivalent to a 64kbps audio rate. Most MP3s are at 192kbps, with CD format being at 320kbps.

OP: FSC code activation is all that is required. No need to complicate the issue further.
I've had both Sirius and XM in previous cars (Mazda RX8, Lexus IS350, Honda Accord) and none of them sound as bad as the BMW. If I'm going to nitpick one thing I don't like about BMW cars, the audio quality of the satellite radio is the probably it. Like I said, the satellite radio in my Infinti SUV sounds VERY good. On the flip side, the Bluetooth hands free system in my Infinti is terrible and the one in BMW is fantastic.
djseto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
myicedm3
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 LCI e92 M3 ZCP 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

SHIT

this blows, my m3 didnt come with sat rad, but after borrwoing my moms lexus equipped with it- i miss it. it sounded amazing in her car, bummer that this bimmer tuner blows.

shit

so now.. after much deliberating a different dealer is now saying along the lines of what you guys are saying

quoting me 375 to obtain enabling codes and then 2 hours labor @ $135 p/h

so approx $700 bucks to enable sirius in the M3

what to do... what to do...
myicedm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #18
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,641
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
SHIT

this blows, my m3 didnt come with sat rad, but after borrwoing my moms lexus equipped with it- i miss it. it sounded amazing in her car, bummer that this bimmer tuner blows.

shit

so now.. after much deliberating a different dealer is now saying along the lines of what you guys are saying

quoting me 375 to obtain enabling codes and then 2 hours labor @ $135 p/h

so approx $700 bucks to enable sirius in the M3

what to do... what to do...
Who quoted you that?
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,980
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Enabling Sirius takes about 8 minutes or so -and that's from the time the car is connected to the time the sat tuner is enabled.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
djseto
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
SHIT

this blows, my m3 didnt come with sat rad, but after borrwoing my moms lexus equipped with it- i miss it. it sounded amazing in her car, bummer that this bimmer tuner blows.

shit

so now.. after much deliberating a different dealer is now saying along the lines of what you guys are saying

quoting me 375 to obtain enabling codes and then 2 hours labor @ $135 p/h

so approx $700 bucks to enable sirius in the M3

what to do... what to do...
If you know anyone with a similar car with Sat radio, listen to theirs and then decide. Does your car have the iPhone connections? If so, I think you're better off paying for something like Pandora or MOG (my favorite) and playing those apps via your iPhone connection. MOG is like Spotify, but they hands down have the best audio quality. You can either stream music (but this will affect your data usage) or just download the songs directly to the app on your iPhone. If you want good audio quality and no commercials, you'll need to subscribe vs. use the free versions. MOG is a whopping $9.99 a month. Well. Worth. It.

Another option is HD Radio. This is a feature I had in my 2010 335i but not in my 08 M3 and I miss it dearly.
djseto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #21
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
 
Cyclone Chris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk County, UK

Posts: 224
iTrader: (0)

+1 on MOG. I use it in the UK with my US military email account.
__________________

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Cyclone Chris is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #22
Patrys@BimmerTech
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

Posts: 1,571
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myicedm3 View Post
Does anyone have bummer techs contact info? I did a search but more than one username popped up...

Also, with activation of the internal module, who does that and how much might it cost? Only bimmertech can do or if I tell the dealership to activate the internal ,double maybe they can do it? It's weird as hell b/c when u ask them they say up need to buy a 1250$ module and its 200-300 to install

So confusing

Here we are
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.


Patrys@BimmerTech is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST