BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #45
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

I don't believe that any front windshield is linearly polarized. If it were then when you put on polarized sunglasses, the windshield would turn black, ie. wouldn't allow any light through.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #46
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Also linearly polarizing glass cuts the light transmission in half. Not something one would want for a windshield all the time especially at night!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #47
visvim_m3
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto


Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Some places cut the rubber trim around the glass to dislodge it (laziness), watch out for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #48
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
63

 
signes's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Spinnin at 8k


Posts: 4,213
iTrader: (3)

I just had mine replaced last week, my 3rd windshield on this car. Each time I did the replacement, I went with OEM glass and each was Saint Gobain (will check to confirm.) Sandblasting has been pretty bad, but it does seem to absorb larger impacts better than other cars I've had without cracking.

For my first replacement, the dealer went through ordering three different windshields before they got one that didn't have any defects and even that one had waviness on the passenger side. For this most recent replacement, again they had to order twice to get one that didn't have imperfections (chips, scratches.) Seems like there are still QC issues with the OEMs.

I don't know that I car as much about the OEM glass (esp given the experience above) but I did't feel that comfortable having Safelite do the replacement on this car after having some bad experiences with them. My insurance (Allstate) outsources their glass claims management to Safelite, so they try to direct you to their company to do the replacement. I've been able to go with the dealer each time and get reimbursed - each time has been about $950 all in.

For this install, I noticed that they might have been sloppy with the adhesive (looks kind of wavy - see below.) Any else see this on their car? Generally only see it when bright sun is shining in from the side.

__________________
08 E90 | Jet Black / Black | 6MT
Mods: RAC RG63 w/ Pirelli Corsa 255F/285R | Akrapovic Evo Exhaust | OEM Blacklines
Winter Setup: OEM 18s w/ Nokian Hakkapeliita R 245/40-18
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
I just had mine replaced last week, my 3rd windshield on this car. Each time I did the replacement, I went with OEM glass and each was Saint Gobain (will check to confirm.) Sandblasting has been pretty bad, but it does seem to absorb larger impacts better than other cars I've had without cracking.

For my first replacement, the dealer went through ordering three different windshields before they got one that didn't have any defects and even that one had waviness on the passenger side. For this most recent replacement, again they had to order twice to get one that didn't have imperfections (chips, scratches.) Seems like there are still QC issues with the OEMs.

I don't know that I car as much about the OEM glass (esp given the experience above) but I did't feel that comfortable having Safelite do the replacement on this car after having some bad experiences with them. My insurance (Allstate) outsources their glass claims management to Safelite, so they try to direct you to their company to do the replacement. I've been able to go with the dealer each time and get reimbursed - each time has been about $950 all in.

For this install, I noticed that they might have been sloppy with the adhesive (looks kind of wavy - see below.) Any else see this on their car? Generally only see it when bright sun is shining in from the side.

I have seen that sloppy adhesive coming through on the inside on other windshield replacements..I made sure I was there when they did mine.. They used an angled nozzle that beads the silcone in a triangle shape so that when they pressed the glass in, the bead sealed evenly. Its cosmetic but it mattered to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #50
blackmist222777
Captain
10

 
blackmist222777's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area


Posts: 783
iTrader: (6)

also remember that the windshield is part of the structure support of the car itself.
__________________

2011 E92 BMW M3 AW (current)
2004 E46 BMW M3 TIAG
2004 E46 BMW M3 LSB
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #51
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
41

 
zamboni's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E93 M3 14 F30 335i
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA


Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamxkris View Post
difference in price is $288. So i would be paying 288 out of pocket.. the guy at the shop keeps assuring me the only difference between OEM and aftermarket is the BMW logo.. is he right? Also do any of you have any experience with MR. GLASS?
The spec would be different and glass is thinner, stay with OEM and don't let the insurance push you around, you entitle to BMW glass replacement.
__________________
14 F30 335i Melbourne Red
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
12 E93 Space Gray ( Retired BMW buy back )
2006 E90 ( sold ) 09 E82 Space Gray ( sold )
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #52
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
The spec would be different and glass is thinner, stay with OEM and don't let the insurance push you around, you entitle to BMW glass replacement.
yes OP is entitled to a quality replacement; but don't just write false information. PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works) aka PPG supplies many OEM glass. A/M glass is structural and thus tolerances are important. Thinner glass? No; maybe on some of the cheaper A/M chinese glass, but most A/M that's quality is a USA product. Again, make sure to check for deformities in the glass
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
yes OP is entitled to a quality replacement; but don't just write false information. PGW (Pittsburg Glass Works) aka PPG supplies many OEM glass. A/M glass is structural and thus tolerances are important. Thinner glass? No; maybe on some of the cheaper A/M chinese glass, but most A/M that's quality is a USA product. Again, make sure to check for deformities in the glass
aftermarket auto glass is subject to the same saftey standards..saying aftermarket glass is thinner is silly
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #54
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
41

 
zamboni's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E93 M3 14 F30 335i
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA


Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Even if I have to pay the difference I would not want third party glass on my M3 period.
__________________
14 F30 335i Melbourne Red
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
12 E93 Space Gray ( Retired BMW buy back )
2006 E90 ( sold ) 09 E82 Space Gray ( sold )
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #55
ZooMMM
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: Black/black E93 M
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 226
iTrader: (1)

O
E
M

$288 is nothing compared to a good night sleep.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #56
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
9

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto


Posts: 379
iTrader: (1)

I think there needs to be some clarification here:

- Pilkington makes the windshields for BMW, they will have the BMW logo. Let's call this "Factory Glass".
- Pilkington also makes windshields for sale through glass repair shops WITHOUT the logo. It's the exact same windshield. This would qualify as "OEM".
- Other glass makers like Sekurit and PPG make good glass and using these options would also be good
- Aftermarket glass (which should be avoided) is almost always made by Chinese glass makers (meaning that they are of poor quality), but they offer the highest profit margins for the installers. This is why they often push this glass and tell you "it's the same". Plus, it allows them to hit a lower price point and it's easier for them to win business from most people that way.

So for me, I would go with whoever offers the best deal for Pilkington, Sekurit or PPG. That would usually lead to PPG.

My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
py0413
Major
Canada
19

 
py0413's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: BC


Posts: 1,178
iTrader: (2)

I would only go with OEM because I had horrible experience with non-OEM windshield in the past.
__________________
Must stop eating..............
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #58
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
I think there needs to be some clarification here:

- Pilkington makes the windshields for BMW, they will have the BMW logo. Let's call this "Factory Glass".
- Pilkington also makes windshields for sale through glass repair shops WITHOUT the logo. It's the exact same windshield. This would qualify as "OEM".
- Other glass makers like Sekurit and PPG make good glass and using these options would also be good
- Aftermarket glass (which should be avoided) is almost always made by Chinese glass makers (meaning that they are of poor quality), but they offer the highest profit margins for the installers. This is why they often push this glass and tell you "it's the same". Plus, it allows them to hit a lower price point and it's easier for them to win business from most people that way.

So for me, I would go with whoever offers the best deal for Pilkington, Sekurit or PPG. That would usually lead to PPG.

My 2 cents.
Good post..there is alot of fear mongering going on here..and while I am the first to say use OEM parts, for glass it really is the same if you go with a reputable aftermarket glass.

Its like the guy who buys the BMW branded techron from the dealer for $30 when you can get the EXACT same formulation in the techron at Autozone for $10.

This knee jerk reaction of "go OEM or else something bad is going to happen" is valid in some cases, but not here.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #59
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Nice summary KJ. I'm saving that info.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #60
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary


Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Another question might be are there any special coatings (not polarizers) on windshield glass. When I buy lens for my glasses, the price goes through the roof for the coatings. I recall some GM products having some funky looking windshields at one time.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #61
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DC


Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Good post..there is alot of fear mongering going on here..and while I am the first to say use OEM parts, for glass it really is the same if you go with a reputable aftermarket glass.

This knee jerk reaction of "go OEM or else something bad is going to happen" is valid in some cases, but not here.
Disagree. This is a critical safety and structural component of the car; a bottle of cleaner is not. BMW's supply chain is well run; you know you are getting a genuine part and the dealer will use the correct adhesives. There are so many counterfeit products produced today with seemingly high quality but nothing approaching rigorous testing or integrity it is completely worth the $288 or whatever insignificant difference to not have a single bit of worry about whether genuine parts were used.

If my car goes off the track and flips at 100mph, I don't want that to be the time I find out that the dude working out of a van was doing switcheroos with eBay sourced glass to increase his profit margins.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
m3an
Banned
19

 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida


Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Good post..there is alot of fear mongering going on here..and while I am the first to say use OEM parts, for glass it really is the same if you go with a reputable aftermarket glass.

Its like the guy who buys the BMW branded techron from the dealer for $30 when you can get the EXACT same formulation in the techron at Autozone for $10.

This knee jerk reaction of "go OEM or else something bad is going to happen" is valid in some cases, but not here.
typical m3 BMW type banter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Disagree. This is a critical safety and structural component of the car; a bottle of cleaner is not. BMW's supply chain is well run; you know you are getting a genuine part and the dealer will use the correct adhesives. There are so many counterfeit products produced today with seemingly high quality but nothing approaching rigorous testing or integrity it is completely worth the $288 or whatever insignificant difference to not have a single bit of worry about whether genuine parts were used.

If my car goes off the track and flips at 100mph, I don't want that to be the time I find out that the dude working out of a van was doing switcheroos with eBay sourced glass to increase his profit margins.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #63
Superfly_M3
Captain
18

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
I would only go with OEM because I had horrible experience with non-OEM windshield in the past.
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Rodeo View Post
Disagree. This is a critical safety and structural component of the car; a bottle of cleaner is not. BMW's supply chain is well run; you know you are getting a genuine part and the dealer will use the correct adhesives. There are so many counterfeit products produced today with seemingly high quality but nothing approaching rigorous testing or integrity it is completely worth the $288 or whatever insignificant difference to not have a single bit of worry about whether genuine parts were used.

If my car goes off the track and flips at 100mph, I don't want that to be the time I find out that the dude working out of a van was doing switcheroos with eBay sourced glass to increase his profit margins.
Safety is important. However I think that once you replaced the OEM glass installed from the factory, your biggest concern should be the installer, not the quality of the glass. I don't think A/M glass will shatter into big chunks and kill you. There are manufacturing standards around the world that dictate tempered glass as standard. Given you perform work at a reputable shop, I don't think you should have any worries.

Again, this is only my 0.02 cents
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #64
Goat Rodeo
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: '13 M3, '06 M3, '02 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DC


Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Safety is important. However I think that once you replaced the OEM glass installed from the factory, your biggest concern should be the installer, not the quality of the glass. I don't think A/M glass will shatter into big chunks and kill you. There are manufacturing standards around the world that dictate tempered glass as standard. Given you perform work at a reputable shop, I don't think you should have any worries.
Windshield glass is part of the structure of the car. Its ability to remain rigid is an important part of avoiding being crushed to death when the car flips. Identical looking but poorly manufactured products are commonplace on markets like eBay, an unscrupulous business owner could easily purchase unbranded glass from China off of eBay, put it in used PPI/BMW/etc. boxes, and sell it to every other customer and charge full price. Is this paranoia? Who cares, because it only takes a $300 surcharge to avoid it altogether.

For $288 (what I read above) more:
- Guaranteed OE. BMW's supply chain is controlled, tracked, and verified.
- Only the correct adhesives (perhaps the most important) used in the correct process.
- The correct dis-assembly and re-installation procedure. Nothing is worse than a shoddy repair which leaves behind a noisy or leaking windshield.

I could understand if the cost differential was significant, but we are talking 1/2 of a percent of the car's average MSRP.

If this was an aviation forum this wouldn't even be a question.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #65
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
33

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA


Posts: 2,267
iTrader: (0)

Sorry but this a silly, nit-picking debate. As was pointed out above, Pilkington makes the windshields for BMW cars. If I can get it from Safelite for $288 less because it doesn't have the BMW logo on it and my dealer isn't screwing me on the install then I will save the $288 every time. And I know my dealer well and guess what, they will charge me more as they have Safelite install my windshield in the back. So instead I go direct to Safelite and save a few bucks. My safety is not compromised in ANY way nor is the integrity of the car...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #66
Vic311
Banned
United_States
17

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
typical m3 BMW type banter
Banter?>> Ha..i would say clearing up massive confusion is more like it..

What most here don't know about cars could fill a book..(now thats banter)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST