BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #45
piloto
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 835
iTrader: (0)

Nice video. Who was the HPDE with?I have yet to make it to Chuckwalla. It looks awesome.
piloto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #46
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,914
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
It's mine so I'll respond (the OP and I track a lot together )

17x9 Enkei RPF1 with 255 RS3s all around
PMU Club Racer brake pads and PMU fluid
Tein SRC coilovers
J's Racing front camber joint
Berk test pipe
J's Racing 60RS exhaust

and then just safety equipment (Recaro SPG, harness, roll bar).

210ish rwhp of fury!

Not bad. I miss my old S2000 sometimes and all the work I had put into it. Today its a nice cheap little car you can fix up fast. Not so in 2001-2003.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #47
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
Nice video. Who was the HPDE with?I have yet to make it to Chuckwalla. It looks awesome.
Thanks. Chuckwalla is a great track. The surface is very new and well maintained. It's a very technical track with some small elevation changes and lots of run-off room. The owner is always present and making sure that an event is running well as well as monitoring the surface and overall conditions.

The surface can hold a lot of grip if it's sunny and I find it an endlessly challenging track. It tends to equalize higher and lower HP street cars since there is only one short straight and the rest is a mix of low speed to mid speed corners. The event was with Star.

Last edited by Blue55; 01-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #48
Obioban
Captain
 
Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

Posts: 774
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
That underbody is AMAZING.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's e91, 1995 S50 B32 GT3 RS Green M3 Race Car
Former Cars: 2004 TiAg/IR M3, 1996 TV/black M3, 1995 AW M3 shell
M3 Mod List, M5 Mod List
Obioban is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #49
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Nang Vann's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,519
iTrader: (0)

Nice vid, nice race track aswell
__________________
Moving on up!
Nang Vann is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #50
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Thanks. Chuckwalla is a great track. The surface is very new and well maintained. It's a very technical track with some small elevation changes and lots of run-off room. The owner is always present and making sure that an event is running well as well as monitoring the surface and overall conditions.

The surface can hold a lot of grip if it's sunny and I find it an endlessly challenging track. It tends to equalize higher and lower HP street cars since there is only one short straight and the rest is a mix of low speed to mid speed corners. The event was with Star.
As someone who tracks regularly at Lime Rock, this place looks so much easier to get moving. Much wider, no guard rails, no trees, incredible runoff room..too bad it's so far from me.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
As someone who tracks regularly at Lime Rock, this place looks so much easier to get moving. Much wider, no guard rails, no trees, incredible runoff room..too bad it's so far from me.
Make a trip to CA! It's currently my favorite track
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #52
WolfeS2K
Second Lieutenant
 
WolfeS2K's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Interlagos Blue M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 267
iTrader: (9)

Here is mine....miss her
__________________

^Welcome to the China Club^ says the Bartender
WolfeS2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #53
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

What's that white stuff? Great looking car!
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #54
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (4)

LOL as I was watching this video I thought to myself: "Why does that M3 sound so different?" Then I realize its a 1M lol. Great vid thanks for sharing.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
ROB_S2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
LOL as I was watching this video I thought to myself: "Why does that M3 sound so different?" Then I realize its a 1M lol. Great vid thanks for sharing.
No, not an M3, but definitely very quick and fun to drive. Rob - do you have an S2K and do you ever track?
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #56
ROB_S2K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
No, not an M3, but definitely very quick and fun to drive. Rob - do you have an S2K and do you ever track?
I had 2 lol. I tracked one of them but I have since sold both.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

(2012 | Laguna Seca Blue | Rust Brown | Individual | 6MT) SOLD
ROB_S2K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #57
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,970
iTrader: (5)

Awesome video,S2K are great cars on the track.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #58
ortho281
Captain
 
ortho281's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 646
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
LOL as I was watching this video I thought to myself: "Why does that M3 sound so different?" Then I realize its a 1M lol. Great vid thanks for sharing.
That's funny! I was wondering the same thing before realizing it was a 1M.
Nice vid!
__________________

Akra Evo / MS stage 2 / MS UDP / VF Tune / KW S/O springs / Vorshlag plates / ST 380/355 BBK / ST SR34 pads / Apex Arc-8 / Nitto NT01 / Cantrell Motorsports roll cage / Recaro Profi / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Performance Alcantera wheel
ortho281 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #59
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

All you SoCal people should come out and join us!
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #60
jetpilot747
Private
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Enjoy!

He had 210 RWHP and you couldn't pass him in your 1 series M coupe? Do you think you could even hang with him if his s2000 was boosted?
jetpilot747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #61
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot747 View Post
He had 210 RWHP and you couldn't pass him in your 1 series M coupe? Do you think you could even hang with him if his s2000 was boosted?
The short answer is no. On a relatively tight track there is simply not enough room on the short straights to execute a safe pass. This particular S2000 has several notable advantages over the 1M. Even though the 1M has a superior power to weight ratio that is just one of several factors that go into the lap time. The S2000 suspension although over a decade old is superior to the 1M. The 1M uses a strut suspension and while it is compact and allows for a design that intrudes far less into the engine bay or passenger compartment, it is no match for a double wishbone suspension setup. The S2000 has practically endless front grip and rarely encounters much understeer. My 1M suspension is almost stock and although I have a lot camber, it still understeers in many situations where the S2000 just sticks. The S2000 has Tein SRC coilovers which are very dialed in for the track.

The S2000 is over 500 lbs lighter than the 1M. This combined with the ability to carry higher speeds through the corners means that the S2000's exit speeds are generally a little higher. This means that he is entering the straight at a higher speed than the 1M and I have to catch up. Because the S2K is lighter, that means he can brake later and deeper into the corner, where I need to scrub off speed earlier.

We found that in comparing vmax at the end of the short straights I might be 5-6mph faster, that's not enough to cleanly pass him. On a longer straight I could definitely pass him but it's really not as easy as you think. This is not a simple highway 'pull' where the 1M would obviously pull away from the S2K.

Finally, my friend is an excellent driver and improving constantly (as am I). We make great foils for each other and it's a lot of fun to engage in the chase. We compare notes with our other track friend regularly. Things are not really as they seem in a track environment. I have seen relatively stock Miatas pass Ferraris. Driver talent and experience has a LOT do with it. It's definitely nowhere as easy as it looks. Also, we drive with traction control completely off in case you were wondering.
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #62
jetpilot747
Private
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
The short answer is no. On a relatively tight track there is simply not enough room on the short straights to execute a safe pass. This particular S2000 has several notable advantages over the 1M. Even though the 1M has a superior power to weight ratio that is just one of several factors that go into the lap time. The S2000 suspension although over a decade old is superior to the 1M. The 1M uses a strut suspension and while it is compact and allows for a design that intrudes far less into the engine bay or passenger compartment, it is no match for a double wishbone suspension setup. The S2000 has practically endless front grip and rarely encounters much understeer. My 1M suspension is almost stock and although I have a lot camber, it still understeers in many situations where the S2000 just sticks. The S2000 has Tein SRC coilovers which are very dialed in for the track.

The S2000 is over 500 lbs lighter than the 1M. This combined with the ability to carry higher speeds through the corners means that the S2000's exit speeds are generally a little higher. This means that he is entering the straight at a higher speed than the 1M and I have to catch up. Because the S2K is lighter, that means he can brake later and deeper into the corner, where I need to scrub off speed earlier.

We found that in comparing vmax at the end of the short straights I might be 5-6mph faster, that's not enough to cleanly pass him. On a longer straight I could definitely pass him but it's really not as easy as you think. This is not a simple highway 'pull' where the 1M would obviously pull away from the S2K.

Finally, my friend is an excellent driver and improving constantly (as am I). We make great foils for each other and it's a lot of fun to engage in the chase. We compare notes with our other track friend regularly. Things are not really as they seem in a track environment. I have seen relatively stock Miatas pass Ferraris. Driver talent and experience has a LOT do with it. It's definitely nowhere as easy as it looks. Also, we drive with traction control completely off in case you were wondering.
Yea but if your friend is boosted, he will be pulling on you instead on the straights LOL so no chance of beating him even if you started in the lead?
jetpilot747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #63
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpilot747 View Post
Yea but if your friend is boosted, he will be pulling on you instead on the straights LOL so no chance of beating him even if you started in the lead?
I think that goes without saying. A FI S2K driven well is in an entirely different category. It's apples and oranges.
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #64
jetpilot747
Private
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
I think that goes without saying. A FI S2K driven well is in an entirely different category. It's apples and oranges.
True. Do you think FI s2k is on the same level as c6 z06 on track then since s2k is even lighter and boosted to the around the same HP?
jetpilot747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #65
Blue55
First Lieutenant
 
Blue55's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Earth

Posts: 382
iTrader: (0)

Every track is different so it's difficult to compare these hypotheticals, but FI S2Ks can brutally fast because of the inherent weight advantage and superior power to weight ratio. The S2K can be difficult to drive quickly (as can any car) and requires a very different driving technique than bigger, heavier cars.

Last edited by Blue55; 01-22-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Blue55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #66
jetpilot747
Private
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Every track is different so it's difficult to compare these hypotheticals, but FI S2Ks can brutally fast because of the inherent weight advantage and superior power to weight ratio. The S2K is difficult to drive quickly and requires a very different driving technique than bigger, heavier cars.
At buttonwillow
jetpilot747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST