BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

ESS Tuning

01-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #45
jetpilot747
Private

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The windows were very much sealed, thank you. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining this, I went to a different dealer and drove another 370Z which drove exactly the same. 2 out of 2 cars, no way it can be a fluke car characteristic.

I jumped back into my Evo and it felt like I was driving a Rolls Royce after experiencing the noise in the 370Z. The Evo is a much more hardcore car. Recaro seats, less sound deadening, hard cheap interior plastics, stiff suspension, super sensitive steering and much faster on track. Yet WAY quieter and more refined than the 370Z. OH, and no overheating driving in 120 degree desert heat lapping 20 minute track sessions all day.

Nissan can do better.
Who cares about the noise though. This thread is for track purposes and race cars are even louder.
      01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
konaforever
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Red GTR

i had a 350z with the HR engine, and it was horrid at high rpms. Not just the noise, but the harshness and vibration.
konaforever is offline   United_States
      01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #47
jetpilot747
Private

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
i had a 350z with the HR engine, and it was horrid at high rpms. Not just the noise, but the harshness and vibration.
Just as long as it goes fast
      01-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #48
Blue55
First Lieutenant

Drives: 1M

Several of my friends track 370zs. When you start to get fast as my friends do, you start to discover limitations in ALL street cars. No question the Zs overheat and need a supplemental oil cooler. They also need a bigger radiator. My friend has a problem with his CV joint now. A friend just blew a motor in his 370 so they also suffer from oil starvation problems. They are considerably lighter than the M3 and have much superior brakes.

A well driven Z can be very, very fast at a track and can easily keep up with or run faster than an M3. M3s are not without their share of problems as well. The brakes are entirely inadequate for track purposes and almost everyone runs a BBK setup to avoid destroying the rotors. The stock suspension is also poorly suited for track duties. The extra weight becomes very noticeable at speed. Consumables in the M3 are also considerably higher because of the extra weight. This becomes more of an issue the faster you get.

Corvettes while also very fast, tend to burn through a lot of expensive consumables as well. It's also a rare day when I DON'T see a Vette with a blown motor at the track. They suffer from severe oil starvation problems when you start go get fast.

Are you out to have fun? My advice - get a Miata and learn how to drive first. Rotors are $15 and it won't burn through a lot of gas or brakes because it's so light. You can have a LOT of fun in a Miata and learn to get very fast while spending 25% of what you would in an M3.
      01-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
canadian stig
Banned

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Several of my friends track 370zs. When you start to get fast as my friends do, you start to discover limitations in ALL street cars. No question the Zs overheat and need a supplemental oil cooler. They also need a bigger radiator. My friend has a problem with his CV joint now. A friend just blew a motor in his 370 so they also suffer from oil starvation problems. They are considerably lighter than the M3 and have much superior brakes.

A well driven Z can be very, very fast at a track and can easily keep up with or run faster than an M3. M3s are not without their share of problems as well. The brakes are entirely inadequate for track purposes and almost everyone runs a BBK setup to avoid destroying the rotors. The stock suspension is also poorly suited for track duties. The extra weight becomes very noticeable at speed. Consumables in the M3 are also considerably higher because of the extra weight. This becomes more of an issue the faster you get.

Corvettes while also very fast, tend to burn through a lot of expensive consumables as well. It's also a rare day when I DON'T see a Vette with a blown motor at the track. They suffer from severe oil starvation problems when you start go get fast.

Are you out to have fun? My advice - get a Miata and learn how to drive first. Rotors are $15 and it won't burn through a lot of gas or brakes because it's so light. You can have a LOT of fun in a Miata and learn to get very fast while spending 25% of what you would in an M3.

BTW, I heard of vettes getting oil starvation and engine failure before, but are all of those failures only in the base models or do they also include the grandsport/z06/zr1 models that have a very different dry sump oiling system?
      01-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #50
av2
Private

Drives: e92 M3 DCT

"Solely for track purposes" to the extend of fitting a roll cage, striped all rear seats and door panels, upgrading suspension, brake system, running w/o cats, slick tires and transported in trailers? Or race on weekends and still be able to drive to nice restaurants on occasions? For street and occasional track used, the M3 is hard to beat. If you are talking about a purposely built track car, there are better cars out there than both. The 370Z is a mediocre sports car and are just middle of pack at track days.

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
      01-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #51
Blue55
First Lieutenant

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post

BTW, I heard of vettes getting oil starvation and engine failure before, but are all of those failures only in the base models or do they also include the grandsport/z06/zr1 models that have a very different dry sump oiling system?
Search the Vette boards. You'll see the Z06 LS7 motor blows up at least as often as the LS3. I can only tell you what I've seen at the track, and I saw at least 4-5 dead Vettes last year.
      01-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #52
robotk
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90 m3

I used to own a g37, which has the same powerplant as the 370z (though it's heavier). Personally, I did not love that engine. It's definitely torquey, but it's crude compared to the s65. At lower RPMs its fine, but as you start winding it out, the VQ gets coarse and noisy (in a bad way). Lots of vibration through the shifter at higher engine speeds, too. Having previously owned an s2k, I love winding out the m3 - just a phenomenal engine.