BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Hawk HPS Brake Pads Installation Price

So my M3 is tripping. It was showing that my rear brakes are good for another 9,000 miles since the last service at end of Oct. and this morning it said I need to replace rear brakes asap! I only drove the car 1,500 miles since then. Weird. So since I am out of warranty, I decided to do research and found Hawk HPS Brake pads to be the best ones out there for my e92. Went to their website and called the local guy who carry's them. He quoted me $375 for everything OTD. Since the brakes pads are only $99, is this a fair price? How much is it usually?
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (7)

The service guide in iDrive is just a count down. The pad sensors telling you your pads are worn out are actually seeing what's going on.

$275 for pad installation is crazy. I can do it with a floor jack and hand tools in an hour. A shop with a lift should be quicker.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,344
iTrader: (5)

You sure you want HPS?
I thought they sucked. They dust less, but have not bit at all compared to stock.
You should consider the Stoptech street sport pads instead.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
The service guide in iDrive is just a count down. The pad sensors telling you your pads are worn out are actually seeing what's going on.

$275 for pad installation is crazy. I can do it with a floor jack and hand tools in an hour. A shop with a lift should be quicker.
Haha. Thanks. I have never worked on cars and will def not do it on an M3. I thought $275 is a bit much. It should not be more than an hour right?
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You sure you want HPS?
I thought they sucked. They dust less, but have not bit at all compared to stock.
You should consider the Stoptech street sport pads instead.
Hmm. Well I just did a search on Google and found a thread on m3post where most of the people recommended Hawks. I do need less brake dust though. Cleaning a 5 inch lip every other day is not pleasant. Now I gotta do some more research on Stoptech's though. But I just wanted to get opinions on labor cost. $275 seemed excessive.
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,105
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You sure you want HPS?
I thought they sucked. They dust less, but have not bit at all compared to stock.
You should consider the Stoptech street sport pads instead.
HPS are good, they are just not for the track.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,738
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Haha. Thanks. I have never worked on cars and will def not do it on an M3. I thought $275 is a bit much. It should not be more than an hour right?
It's an easy job but I know not everyone can or will want to do it. My only point was that it's really easy. It shouldn't take more than an hour so unless their labor rate is $275/hour, the math doesn't add up.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
It's an easy job but I know not everyone can or will want to do it. My only point was that it's really easy. It shouldn't take more than an hour so unless their labor rate is $275/hour, the math doesn't add up.
Yea that's what I thought that this should not be more than 1 hour. Usually shops are around $100/hr. Thanks man!
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Richard@M-World
 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Yes one hour of labor should be a reasonable price.
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Richard@M-World is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,344
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Hmm. Well I just did a search on Google and found a thread on m3post where most of the people recommended Hawks. I do need less brake dust though. Cleaning a 5 inch lip every other day is not pleasant. Now I gotta do some more research on Stoptech's though. But I just wanted to get opinions on labor cost. $275 seemed excessive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
HPS are good, they are just not for the track.
I hated them on my E36 M3. No initial bite compared to stock pads. WAY less braking power compared to stock at full braking. And if they're cold, they suck even more, IMO.

And 1 hour of labor should be enough if they have a lift and power tools.

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
ailikesiliu
Captain
 
ailikesiliu's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 738
iTrader: (8)

And keep in mind, they are not easy on rotors.
ailikesiliu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I hated them on my E36 M3. No initial bite compared to stock pads. WAY less braking power compared to stock at full braking. And if they're cold, they suck even more, IMO.
I found this as well on the street... and they literally melted at the track. I wouldn't get the HPS again on a bet.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,341
iTrader: (5)

have you actually went to the back of your car and looked at the pads to see how much is left?
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #14
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
have you actually went to the back of your car and looked at the pads to see how much is left?
I did and I can see them but I don't know how to tell if they need replacing. I dont' want to take any chances either. I ended up ordering Hawk ceramic pads along with 2 bottles of brembo fluid from tire rack. I hope these will do the job. Do I need to get two brake sensors as well? And how can I tell about rotors? Thanks for your help!
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I found this as well on the street... and they literally melted at the track. I wouldn't get the HPS again on a bet.
I just need some good pads with very less brake dust and tire rack says HPS ceramic are the lowest ones. I rarely track my car so it's mainly for everyday use.
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,341
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
I did and I can see them but I don't know how to tell if they need replacing. I dont' want to take any chances either. I ended up ordering Hawk ceramic pads along with 2 bottles of brembo fluid from tire rack. I hope these will do the job. Do I need to get two brake sensors as well? And how can I tell about rotors? Thanks for your help!
i usually use a flashlight so i can get a better view if looking thru the wheel for quick check. the pads have a backing plate that is about 4mm thick on OEM if i remember and i shoot for having about half that amount of pad left or so(2-3mm) being all the way worn. this is also about the point where you will start to wear thru the sensor. if you change pads at this point before the sensor is damaged then a new one isnt needed. also the last little bit of pad seems to get used really fast particularly with track use.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,105
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I hated them on my E36 M3. No initial bite compared to stock pads. WAY less braking power compared to stock at full braking. And if they're cold, they suck even more, IMO.

And 1 hour of labor should be enough if they have a lift and power tools.

.
I don't have any complaints with the set I have.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i usually use a flashlight so i can get a better view if looking thru the wheel for quick check. the pads have a backing plate that is about 4mm thick on OEM if i remember and i shoot for having about half that amount of pad left or so(2-3mm) being all the way worn. this is also about the point where you will start to wear thru the sensor. if you change pads at this point before the sensor is damaged then a new one isnt needed. also the last little bit of pad seems to get used really fast particularly with track use.
Thanks man! I will get them replaced anyways for less brake dust. I have parked the car for now and will wait for pads and fluid. Need to pick up the sensors today for back up in case I do need them.
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
badazzm
Lieutenant
 
badazzm's Avatar
 
Drives: RRS GT2
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 543
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I don't have any complaints with the set I have.
Yep. I trust your choice. I ordered ceramic ones though for minimum brake dust. If I don't track the car then ceramic ones should be ok. I heard they suck at track.
badazzm is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #20
Protocav
Private
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Hawk HPS pads are literally the worst pads i have ever had on a car (previous car). I put them on the car, and took them off the next day. That bad. If you haven't purchased them, look elsewhere, if you have purchased them, save the install time and find something else.
Protocav is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocav View Post
Hawk HPS pads are literally the worst pads i have ever had on a car (previous car). I put them on the car, and took them off the next day. That bad. If you haven't purchased them, look elsewhere, if you have purchased them, save the install time and find something else.
Previous car? so have you actually used them in E9x M3?
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,092
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
The service guide in iDrive is just a count down. The pad sensors telling you your pads are worn out are actually seeing what's going on.

$275 for pad installation is crazy. I can do it with a floor jack and hand tools in an hour. A shop with a lift should be quicker.
Close thread. Nothing else to say.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September 2011 ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST