BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Joel_M
New Member
 
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

M3 or...?

Hey guys, I currently have an 08 335i, which I plan on trading in pretty soon, and I am debating on my next car. I had originally planned on just going to the M3 but am now starting to consider others, as I would like a car with a bit more torque. I have considered a c6z, isf, c63, or boss. I recently drove the c6z and the boss, but IMO they are pretty big cars and I understand why. ALso one thing that got me with the c6z was the steering wheel wasn't as tight as I would like, but I may just be nitpicking now. However the car is a beast performance wise. I would jump on the c63, but the only thing that has me second guessing is the auto transmission. I have yet to drive the ISF, but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions..

I won't be tracking the car, nor will it be a DD. Doesn't need to be conservative as I was looking at all coupes besides the ISF. Interior/Handling don't have to be on the same level as the BMW, but I don't expect it to be.

Thanks
Joel_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Ghetto2315
Major
 
Drives: Like I Stole It...
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The REAL Jersey Shore

Posts: 1,241
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
For bias reasons I'll obviously say get an M3 but if that doesn't float your boat, I wouldn't hesitate on the C63. The trans isn't that much of a slouch. Granted its not on par with DCT and since you're not tracking the car, I'd get the AMG based on your quest for torque. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: I just re-read your post. When you said the only thing you are second guessing is the auto trans, did you mean how it shifts or you were referring to the sheer lack of an option of a manual trans in the C63?
Ghetto2315 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

Posts: 1,764
iTrader: (1)

If you're considering used and don't need the space, I'd look at a 997. It lacks in pure straight line speed compared to the others, a '07 or maybe a 2008 would be in that price range.
sensi09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Transfer's Avatar
 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,670
iTrader: (0)

C63 or maybe CTS-V?
Transfer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Jsnscot
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 359
iTrader: (1)

Z06!
Jsnscot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
fusionchicken
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: LS3 Z51 C6
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: socal

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

If I were in the market for a C63 I would definitely go for a 2012+. I actually prefer the pre-2012's exterior, but the MCT makes the car much, much better IMHO. The old trans in manual mode was a bit disappointing for a car of that caliber.

The Vette feels big and the steering is quite light and vague, but once you get used to the car it is pretty easy to place it. They corner flat, have great grip, and are animals on the track. Hard to beat so much power in a 31xx lbs (z06) car. And the trunk is surprisingly practical - I've fit all sorts of things in there that I didn't think was possible, e.g. 2 sets of dual catback exhausts. Also don't forget that the Vette can be much better with gas than your other choices (though I'm not very sure about the Boss)

If you are looking for a relatively comfy DD with more than 2 seats the C63 would be my second choice. Nothing like the 6.2's torque and SOUND! Not to mention with a tune you pick up 40-50whp IIRC and traps damn near 120mph.
fusionchicken is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
thegeneral101
Colonel
 
Drives: '13 M3 LRE,'13 750Li
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Miami/Michigan

Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
If I were in the market for a C63 I would definitely go for a 2012+. I actually prefer the pre-2012's exterior, but the MCT makes the car much, much better IMHO. The old trans in manual mode was a bit disappointing for a car of that caliber.

The Vette feels big and the steering is quite light and vague, but once you get used to the car it is pretty easy to place it. They corner flat, have great grip, and are animals on the track. Hard to beat so much power in a 31xx lbs (z06) car. And the trunk is surprisingly practical - I've fit all sorts of things in there that I didn't think was possible, e.g. 2 sets of dual catback exhausts. Also don't forget that the Vette can be much better with gas than your other choices (though I'm not very sure about the Boss)

If you are looking for a relatively comfy DD with more than 2 seats the C63 would be my second choice. Nothing like the 6.2's torque and SOUND! Not to mention with a tune you pick up 40-50whp IIRC and traps damn near 120mph.
I actually agree with all of this.

And I was in the same position as you (twice) and both times I ended up going with an M3. Had money down on Z06 a few years back but wanted something more practical. This round, had my heart set on the GT500 but hated the gearing.
__________________
thegeneral101 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Longboarder
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monarch Beach

Posts: 3,583
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 e92 M3  [4.96]
2011 997.2 Turbo S  [4.80]
2013 WRX STi  [4.00]
2013 BMW X5  [0.00]
I completely agree with your assessment about the lack of torque...but don't worry it's fixable!

I absolutely loved the precision of the M3's handling and the DCT was phenomenal but the lack of torque coming from a 19psi/meth 335 was a problem for me.

I did get a chance to drive in a 400 RWHP 6MT M3 with only a catless mid-pipe and tune, and OMG it made a HUGE difference. The mid-pipe gives the M3 a good 20-25 lb ft of torque throughout the entire RPM which is particularly needed in the mid-range.

You may not have this opportunity to try one first that's modded...but ask around in your Regional Forum if there's someone who's modded who could take you out for a spin.
__________________
Daily: 2013 e92 M3 DCT / ESS VT2 650 S/C / Akrapovic Evolution / StopTech BBK
Track/Airstrip: 2011 997.2 Turbo S PDK / 725 HP / BBi suspension build
Beater: 2013 X5 3.5sport
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Longboarder is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
 
Dre01SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 347
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
If it's not a DD, nor need be practical... Go for the C6Z or as mentioned before, a Porsche maybe?
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Dre01SS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Z06 for sure.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
gatorfast
Colonel
 
gatorfast's Avatar
 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

Posts: 2,522
iTrader: (3)

OP have you actually driven an M3? What makes you think it needs more torque?
gatorfast is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
OP have you actually driven an M3? What makes you think it needs more torque?
I own an M3 and hate the lack of power. It was a huge disappointment coming from a Z06 to the M3 in terms of power.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
 
Dre01SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 347
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I own an M3 and hate the lack of power. It was a huge disappointment coming from a Z06 to the M3 in terms of power.
C5Z or C6Z? Why'd you make the switch?
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Dre01SS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,127
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
OP have you actually driven an M3? What makes you think it needs more torque?
I couldn't agree more. this car is such a beast. unfortunately, I'm selling mine, so I just took the supercharger off, but I was surprised at how much power it has even in stock form. I'm definitely gonna pick up another one (probably an e90 next time) in another year or so.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre01SS View Post
C5Z or C6Z? Why'd you make the switch?
Both.

The only downfall of the Vette is the fit and finish and in specific, the interior. I had always heard how great the M3 was so when the opportunity came, I decided to order one. This is without one single test drive, so that was my fault. I believed the hype. Of course the M3 shines in many areas and especially in places where the Corvette lacks but when you drop that kind of money on a car like this, I would have expected more power. In the end, I would not get an M3 again given the chance.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
Dre01SS
First Lieutenant
 
Dre01SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 347
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
In the end, I would not get an M3 again given the chance.
Ouch. Interesting to hear though... I'm tossing the two around to get into sometime this year, but have not made up my mind yet. Drove an M3 at the Greer track a long while back, and my old C5Z had 440rwhp... Regardless I'll be getting behind the wheel of both before making my decision.

Whichever one provides the most enjoyment on a daily basis, and track fun a few times a year...
__________________
"Its only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything"
Current: 2007 Corvette Z06 (DD/HPDE)
Past: 2012 MazdaSpeed 3, 2007 BMW 335i E92 - 2001 Corvette Z06 - 2001 Camaro SS - 2007 CBR 600RR - 2003 CBR 600RR Racebike - 2001 CBR F4i
Dre01SS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
mark896
Warrant Officer
 
mark896's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama

Posts: 452
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Both.

The only downfall of the Vette is the fit and finish and in specific, the interior. I had always heard how great the M3 was so when the opportunity came, I decided to order one. This is without one single test drive, so that was my fault. I believed the hype. Of course the M3 shines in many areas and especially in places where the Corvette lacks but when you drop that kind of money on a car like this, I would have expected more power. In the end, I would not get an M3 again given the chance.
I did the exact same thing. Came from a C5Z, almost bone stock and it would BLAZE. I'd never even driven a BMW, bought mine sight unseen because of what I heard about them. The fit and finish of this car is miles beyond any vette, and as such, I will never go back to a vette. But the lack of bottom end torque really irks me. You have to wring this car's neck to get it to go.

I won't say that I won't buy another M3 though, seeing as how the M4 is supposed to have another 100 ft lbs. That will be sufficient, definitely. Otherwise, I f-ing LOVE this car.
mark896 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Joel_M
New Member
 
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
For bias reasons I'll obviously say get an M3 but if that doesn't float your boat, I wouldn't hesitate on the C63. The trans isn't that much of a slouch. Granted its not on par with DCT and since you're not tracking the car, I'd get the AMG based on your quest for torque. You won't be disappointed.

Edit: I just re-read your post. When you said the only thing you are second guessing is the auto trans, did you mean how it shifts or you were referring to the sheer lack of an option of a manual trans in the C63?
I was mainly talking about just the sheer lack of a manual transmission. bleh if they made it in manual or even a DCT it would be perfect
Joel_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #19
Joel_M
New Member
 
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I own an M3 and hate the lack of power. It was a huge disappointment coming from a Z06 to the M3 in terms of power.
Yes I have driven one, and to me it lacks a bit of torque. Especially with driving on highway. I felt as though I really needed to put the pedal down in order for it to get up and go, but dont get me wrong when it does I certainly love it.

On that note one thing I have not driven was a modded M3 like someone mentioned, but I have been looking at a couple dyno sheets and available mods for the cars and correct me if I'm wrong (which I maybe lol) nothing stood out at me greatly that will increase the torque...that is unless you go SC
Joel_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #20
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_M View Post
Yes I have driven one, and to me it lacks a bit of torque. Especially with driving on highway. I felt as though I really needed to put the pedal down in order for it to get up and go, but dont get me wrong when it does I certainly love it.

On that note one thing I have not driven was a modded M3 like someone mentioned, but I have been looking at a couple dyno sheets and available mods for the cars and correct me if I'm wrong (which I maybe lol) nothing stood out at me greatly that will increase the torque...that is unless you go SC
This is true. The best bang for the buck in regards to power will be the Z06 if we are just talking about it and the M3. Also, a s/c kit for the Vette will be a fraction of the cost of one for an M and you get nearly identical components.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Joel_M
New Member
 
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post
If I were in the market for a C63 I would definitely go for a 2012+. I actually prefer the pre-2012's exterior, but the MCT makes the car much, much better IMHO. The old trans in manual mode was a bit disappointing for a car of that caliber.

The Vette feels big and the steering is quite light and vague, but once you get used to the car it is pretty easy to place it. They corner flat, have great grip, and are animals on the track. Hard to beat so much power in a 31xx lbs (z06) car. And the trunk is surprisingly practical - I've fit all sorts of things in there that I didn't think was possible, e.g. 2 sets of dual catback exhausts. Also don't forget that the Vette can be much better with gas than your other choices (though I'm not very sure about the Boss)

If you are looking for a relatively comfy DD with more than 2 seats the C63 would be my second choice. Nothing like the 6.2's torque and SOUND! Not to mention with a tune you pick up 40-50whp IIRC and traps damn near 120mph.
Yeah I would be getting a 2012+ as I would most likely be getting the coupe. BUt you truly cannot beat the sound and yes if you add on tune or even get the Performance Package bumps you up to 487...which I'm not sure it's worth another 7k but that's a diff story, though I do like the CF lip and brakes.
Joel_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Joel_M
New Member
 
Drives: 08 E92 335i Space Gray
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
This is true. The best bang for the buck in regards to power will be the Z06 if we are just talking about it and the M3. Also, a s/c kit for the Vette will be a fraction of the cost of one for an M and you get nearly identical components.
Once I drive the c63 I think I will be a step closer or maybe a modded M3..I may either have to get over the lack of torque w/ the ///M..lack of manual trans w/ the c63 or the size of the vette and steering.
Joel_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST