BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Race Precision Motorsport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Omar@VelosDesignwerks's Avatar
 
Drives: Different Ones
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,382
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
There are so many good ones out there. I would suggest you do a little research on the forum and read through some of the members post and then you should be able to find out the best one that works for you.
Well said.
Omar@VelosDesignwerks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
youngvedder
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burlington, ON

Posts: 131
iTrader: (1)

happy with my evolve tune! Sal & co have been great and car feels much better.
__________________
'08 e93 / H&R Springs/MS spacers rear 15/AFE intake/RPI Scoops/AKRA Evo/Rouge Pulleys/Apex Arc-8 265/285/Evolve-R (240e)
youngvedder is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,612
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The only qualified non-biased answer would be someone that has tested every tune both on the dyno and in a real-world scenario. In the meantime, most people will chime in with the one they've purchased as being "the best".

Here's a recent thread with a bunch of dynos we've posted, all from various tuners:

400 RWHP Club?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788241

There's even one with no tune inching towards the 400 club.

In a nutshell, there is no "best tune" as every scenario (engine condition, location, octane, build configuration, etc) and one's needs are usually different.
I agree with this. All the tunes seem very comparable in the gains they make. They also all seem similarly priced, apart from the occasional group buy. Check with AA, Velos, ESS, Evolve, BPM, OE Tuning, Bren Tuning, Epic, VFE and Vishnu for the best price at any one time.

There was a package deal recently for primary cat delete pipes plus a tune in the group buy or vendor section.

Gains have been reported from simply updating the software to the latest factory version, especially on older cars. This costs much less than a tune, but many of the tunes include the updated software. I would view those tunes as bang for the buck. I would also view tunes that include a laptop flash cable as bang for the buck; others charge additionally for a handheld flash device.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

BPM is one of my favorite performance mods.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Wendall is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl

Posts: 3,378
iTrader: (5)

Everyone is going to say they make or purchased the best tune so do some research on each. Also another thing to consider is the technical support and experience that comes with the purchase of the tune.

With that said. We make the best tune available on the market with 100's sold and great customer feedback

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 01-10-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

All of my clients have been nothing short of amazed!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Everyone is going to say they make or purchased the best tune so do some research on each. Also another thing to consider is the technical support and experience that comes with the purchase of the tune.

With that said we make the best tune available on the market with 100's sold and great customer feedback
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #29
Longbow64
_______
 
Longbow64's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

Posts: 742
iTrader: (4)

Everyone offers very similar tunes and options to the tune. Some offer free updates, user map switching, etc, but all very similar between $800-$1000 at any given time. On the dynos you will see about a 8-12 hp increase on a stock car. The 30 hp increases are mainly a result of going catless. The features of the tune make that more tolerable (cold start delete, SES suppression). Don't get wrapped around the axle on how much hp am I making or will I be in the 400hp club. Each car, conditions, and dyno are different and factor into the resultant hp. When making your decision do some research on how active the sponsor is in the forum, how quickly and tactfully they respond to posts, and do your own assessment on customer service.
__________________

'09 E90 M3 | VF620 SC tuned and coded by BPM | KW V3 | ARC Wheels w/AD08 | OnEighty Lights | AA Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance and IND trim | Recaro Profi and child seats
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me
Longbow64 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #30
hova00
Captain
 
hova00's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: EAST COAST

Posts: 657
iTrader: (6)

Iam always on the fence about a tune and decide against it for whatever reason.

I would like to try them all on the same day on the same dyno and see what the power differences are.

Any tuners out there up to the challenge?
hova00 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #31
DopeM3
M Power
 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova00 View Post
Iam always on the fence about a tune and decide against it for whatever reason.

I would like to try them all on the same day on the same dyno and see what the power differences are.

Any tuners out there up to the challenge?
That would be perfect!
DopeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #32
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
 
Sean05's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

Posts: 5,331
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
That would be perfect!
doubt it... ill run after the 1st sponsor to tune my car..not even going to wait for the others...

on a serious note... i bet you probably wont be able to notice...
__________________
Sean05 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #33
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,647
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
That would be perfect!
doubt it... ill run after the 1st sponsor to tune my car..not even going to wait for the others...

on a serious note... i bet you probably wont be able to notice...
You'll notice. If you look around I've retuned quite a few cars.

If I were to pick from all of the offerings out there, I'd choose BPM or eVolve. Sal and I are friends and have pretty in depth tuning conversations. You'll be happy with either although I'm obviously biased towards BPM.

I bought my M3 brand new in 2008, its almost 5 years and 48K miles later and the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Being that I live for this car, I know what everyone else would want out of it in situations from day to day driving to extreme track events
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #34
p-streets
M3NTAL
 
Drives: 09 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAND OF THE LOST TEXAS

Posts: 298
iTrader: (1)

The dinan ain't bad at all the car dose drive a lil better and you can noticed the power but what I been hearing about the bpm is all good but can't go wrong with the dinan either. But never had other tunes so can't compare them at a personal level
p-streets is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #35
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,526
iTrader: (0)

From customer service perspective from my own experience in interacting (or attempting to interact) with several tuners, ESS and Benvo were top notch.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #36
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,975
iTrader: (5)

Plenty of reviews on the forum,do your homework and go through them. Good Luck !
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #37
mazda3ndp
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bergen NJ

Posts: 583
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to mazda3ndp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You'll notice. If you look around I've retuned quite a few cars.

If I were to pick from all of the offerings out there, I'd choose BPM or eVolve. Sal and I are friends and have pretty in depth tuning conversations. You'll be happy with either although I'm obviously biased towards BPM.

I bought my M3 brand new in 2008, its almost 5 years and 48K miles later and the car puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Being that I live for this car, I know what everyone else would want out of it in situations from day to day driving to extreme track events
BPM retuned my car, I had a few other companies tunes... BPM is by far the best tune I have had!
mazda3ndp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #38
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
There are so many tunes out there.. Dinan, EAS, BPM, Turners, etc etc..

What's the best tune for the price? Stage 1 and 2?
I would never base the purchase of the tune on my $20K motor on price. I would and did make my decision based on reputation and that was the ESS tune and im very happy with it. Like others have posted there are other options. For me I looked at what they were doing with the supercharger market and not only the volume of people who swear by the tuning but the projects like the 700+ cars that have been so impressive.

In the end my advice would be to buy a tune from the vendor you trust not just the one who has a promo sale going.
BuckRodgers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #39
dead ringer
09 M3 E90
 
dead ringer's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 E90 - DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
I would never base the purchase of the tune on my $20K motor on price. I would and did make my decision based on reputation and that was the ESS tune and im very happy with it. Like others have posted there are other options. For me I looked at what they were doing with the supercharger market and not only the volume of people who swear by the tuning but the projects like the 700+ cars that have been so impressive.
+1 .... Getting ACM test pipes & ESS tune this Friday
__________________
E90///M3 : ESS ECU & Shift tune w/ full ESS exhaust | KW V3's | LUX AE | 19" TE37's | Mode Carbon V1 lip | JB's CF trunk spoiler PARTING OUT EVERYTHING, SEE RESPECTIVE PARTS UNDER PARTS SECTIONS
dead ringer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #40
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,566
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
If you take a vote on this forum, it will be unanimously BPM. Period. I've put off getting a tune for over five years, because I was not convinced a tune would give you any gain or added driveability. This was purely based on my experience with DMS when I had my E46 M3. It did nothing to enhance my driving pleasure.

After reading a lot on this forum, I was finally convinced BPM offered something different. I am a convert now ... just the entire process beginning from enquiry to the tuning ... it was top notch.

I did approach Sal, and he gave me all the information and pros and cons. He never once criticise any of the other tunes offered by various vendors. He refused to comment when asked as to how his tune was different from the rest. Same goes to Mike.

Ultimately, I made the decision to go with Mike. I am happy. Same cannot be said about other vendors. Some vendors failed to return my enquiries. Some were not forthcoming with the information. Neither were they critical of the other tuners. Looks like there is a common respect for one another amongst the tuning fraternity.

I exchanged close to 15 PMs with Mike before I finally decided to go ahead. In addition to a good tune, you need professional and polite and informative customer service. Mike gives you that. You need to give credit, when credit is due. That's what I have done. Call me bias, I don't care. I am happy.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
DopeM3
M Power
 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
If you take a vote on this forum, it will be unanimously BPM. Period. I've put off getting a tune for over five years, because I was not convinced a tune would give you any gain or added driveability. This was purely based on my experience with DMS when I had my E46 M3. It did nothing to enhance my driving pleasure.

After reading a lot on this forum, I was finally convinced BPM offered something different. I am a convert now ... just the entire process beginning from enquiry to the tuning ... it was top notch.

I did approach Sal, and he gave me all the information and pros and cons. He never once criticise any of the other tunes offered by various vendors. He refused to comment when asked as to how his tune was different from the rest. Same goes to Mike.

Ultimately, I made the decision to go with Mike. I am happy. Same cannot be said about other vendors. Some vendors failed to return my enquiries. Some were not forthcoming with the information. Neither were they critical of the other tuners. Looks like there is a common respect for one another amongst the tuning fraternity.

I exchanged close to 15 PMs with Mike before I finally decided to go ahead. In addition to a good tune, you need professional and polite and informative customer service. Mike gives you that. You need to give credit, when credit is due. That's what I have done. Call me bias, I don't care. I am happy.
Very well said my fellow friend
DopeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #42
Munit
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
If you take a vote on this forum, it will be unanimously BPM. Period. I've put off getting a tune for over five years, because I was not convinced a tune would give you any gain or added driveability. This was purely based on my experience with DMS when I had my E46 M3. It did nothing to enhance my driving pleasure.

After reading a lot on this forum, I was finally convinced BPM offered something different. I am a convert now ... just the entire process beginning from enquiry to the tuning ... it was top notch.

I did approach Sal, and he gave me all the information and pros and cons. He never once criticise any of the other tunes offered by various vendors. He refused to comment when asked as to how his tune was different from the rest. Same goes to Mike.

Ultimately, I made the decision to go with Mike. I am happy. Same cannot be said about other vendors. Some vendors failed to return my enquiries. Some were not forthcoming with the information. Neither were they critical of the other tuners. Looks like there is a common respect for one another amongst the tuning fraternity.

I exchanged close to 15 PMs with Mike before I finally decided to go ahead. In addition to a good tune, you need professional and polite and informative customer service. Mike gives you that. You need to give credit, when credit is due. That's what I have done. Call me bias, I don't care. I am happy.

15 exchanges to talk about a basic tune? I can see why other vendors would have cut their losses as people that are really needy tend to be problematic buyers who complain with their purchase.

Anyway if you want a completely faster car you need to do 3 things. Get rid of cats, drop in filter and a tune. ESS I have. I would trusts benvo or evolve as well.

Then if you have access to really maximize thrust make sure you run 95 octane in order to consistently hit the more aggressive timing targets set in the tune to enable full power. It is unbelievable!
Munit is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #43
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,647
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
15 exchanges to talk about a basic tune? I can see why other vendors would have cut their losses as people that are really needy tend to be problematic buyers who complain with their purchase.
I don't think he was 'needy' at all. I'd rather people make well informed buying decisions over blind purchases.

"Cutting your losses" is sometimes necessary when people have unreasonable expectations or exhibit unreasonable behavior. Neither of which was the case in this situation.

We've both had the car for five years. Given that, I'm sure he wanted to make sure that his baby was well taken care of. I would have too. He already stated he was particularly weary given his previous tuning experience with his E46 M3.

And nothing is 'basic' in my tune. It's actually more complex than many of them out there. If you had it you would understand.

While many others focus only on WOT, we dedicated an equal amount of time to part throttle drivability which is where you spend 90% of your driving. The driving experience is completely different. Every now and again I'll flash back to stock for a week. And then I'll flash the tune back in and my mind is blown by how much better the car is. Truly how BMW should have done it.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 01-10-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,566
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
15 exchanges to talk about a basic tune? I can see why other vendors would have cut their losses as people that are really needy tend to be problematic buyers who complain with their purchase.
They didn't respond to my first ... so what's the diffrence between them and Mike. It's the customer service. Thank you very much.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST