BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
exmowner
Captain
 
exmowner's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3\\\
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 956
iTrader: (5)

Trailer and M3 question.. will it fit?

Hi, after an exhaustive search i cant seem to find the answer. I'm going to be bringing my car down to IND in the next few weeks. I will be trailering it there, and my question is will it if in a 8x16 foot enclosed trailer?

It is the biggest sized trailer I can find for rent. From the dimensions in the owners guide the e92 m3 is 15.15FT long and 5.9 FT wide.

So do you guys think i would be able to fit it in a 16FT trailer, or am I in for damaged bumpers?


Thanks for the help.
Alex
exmowner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,939
iTrader: (7)

A little too close for for comfort on the length for my liking. Are those dimensions interior? An 18 ft would be ideal. Although I dont like the idea of towing my ///M on an open trailer, I would probably consider renting a car trailer from Uhaul instead.
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
j2m
Colonel
 
j2m's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

Posts: 2,452
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Most 8FT wide trailer are actually 102" OUTSIDE or 90" on the inside. It will fit nicely in a 102" trailer. If it is in fact 8FT (96") wide the interior would be aprox 84" wide. The problem with a 16 FT trailer is that the wheel wells will be in the way when you open the door. You will likely have to climb out the window but you can make it work.
The best way to tie this car down in a tight space is to use wheel slings and E-Track. IF you use the E-Track + Wheel slings your car will be very secure
EDIT: Interior length should be aprox 16' 6", depending on the model. Length should be fine.

* PM me if you need help, I have done this many times
Attached Images
 
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here

Last edited by j2m; 01-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
j2m is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
MSPORTWORLD
Major
 
MSPORTWORLD's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,180
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I use a 8.5"x24" to haul my M3s...one at a time of course.

There is about 3-4 inches of clearance on each side after it's pulled in and I climb in and out the driver's side window Dukes of Hazard style.
Attached Images
 
__________________
MSPORTWORLD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
dnvrdrvr
Captain
 
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 764
iTrader: (3)

I have an 18' v-nose trailer and it's pretty tight. Keep in mind that even when you tie the car down, the body will still shift forward & back as you accelerate / brake with the tow vehicle. And as others have said you'll need to climb out the side window Dukes-of-Hazard style. I've gone out the sunroof too
__________________

Just a girl and her 420 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
dnvrdrvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Hi, after an exhaustive search i cant seem to find the answer. I'm going to be bringing my car down to IND in the next few weeks. I will be trailering it there, and my question is will it if in a 8x16 foot enclosed trailer?

It is the biggest sized trailer I can find for rent. From the dimensions in the owners guide the e92 m3 is 15.15FT long and 5.9 FT wide.

So do you guys think i would be able to fit it in a 16FT trailer, or am I in for damaged bumpers?

Thanks for the help.
Alex
Alex ... why not drive it and enjoy your car ... at the same time visit the Detroit auto show and be our eyes and ears

Live a little and enjoy your car ... a good set of winter tires and you be fine!

Take it from me having driven ///M3's (two of my former) coast to coast there is nothing better then a ///M3 road trip.

Travel save and whatever you do ... let's have a coffee in little London town when you pass here on your way west.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
exmowner
Captain
 
exmowner's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3\\\
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 956
iTrader: (5)

Thanks for the advice! I found a 8.5x20FT closed trailer. 16FT would have been too tight!



Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
Most 8FT wide trailer are actually 102" OUTSIDE or 90" on the inside. It will fit nicely in a 102" trailer. If it is in fact 8FT (96") wide the interior would be aprox 84" wide. The problem with a 16 FT trailer is that the wheel wells will be in the way when you open the door. You will likely have to climb out the window but you can make it work.
The best way to tie this car down in a tight space is to use wheel slings and E-Track. IF you use the E-Track + Wheel slings your car will be very secure
EDIT: Interior length should be aprox 16' 6", depending on the model. Length should be fine.

* PM me if you need help, I have done this many times
exmowner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
exmowner
Captain
 
exmowner's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3\\\
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 956
iTrader: (5)

Driving in the salt and snow is not an option. Yes my m's a garage queen but I like it that way. I mean it comes out in the summer rain but I dont have the heart to expose it to winter!

Coffee sounds great (hot chocolate for me) !

Alex


Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Alex ... why not drive it and enjoy your car ... at the same time visit the Detroit auto show and be our eyes and ears

Live a little and enjoy your car ... a good set of winter tires and you be fine!

Take it from me having driven ///M3's (two of my former) coast to coast there is nothing better then a ///M3 road trip.

Travel save and whatever you do ... let's have a coffee in little London town when you pass here on your way west.
exmowner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Hi, after an exhaustive search i cant seem to find the answer. I'm going to be bringing my car down to IND in the next few weeks. I will be trailering it there, and my question is will it if in a 8x16 foot enclosed trailer?

It is the biggest sized trailer I can find for rent. From the dimensions in the owners guide the e92 m3 is 15.15FT long and 5.9 FT wide.

So do you guys think i would be able to fit it in a 16FT trailer, or am I in for damaged bumpers?


Thanks for the help.
Alex

I'm confused?? You have the dimensions so why not measure it yourself rather than ask blindly people on the internet??
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
exmowner
Captain
 
exmowner's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3\\\
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 956
iTrader: (5)

Funny thing is I dont remember asking you? I dont have the trailer its something I will rent. So I didnt want to rent it without knowing.

Thanks for your opinion though It really didnt help!



Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
I'm confused?? You have the dimensions so why not measure it yourself rather than ask blindly people on the internet??
exmowner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Funny thing is I dont remember asking you? I dont have the trailer its something I will rent. So I didnt want to rent it without knowing.

Thanks for your opinion though It really didnt help!


sorry, I thought you were asking me as well as everyone else when you posted a question on a public forum;... silly me.

Anyways, my advice would be just to drive there and fly home. Prob 6 of one and half dozen of the other re: costs
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
Funny thing is I dont remember asking you? I dont have the trailer its something I will rent. So I didnt want to rent it without knowing.

Thanks for your opinion though It really didnt help!
Diss
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST