BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Time Capsule

This thread is not intended to flames or arguments, I'm just throwing out an idea and want to hear your thoughts on this.

Considering the fact that the E92 M3 is the last of its breed (and we talked about this to death) has anyone considered building a time capsule and putting one in there. Here's what I mean:

Barret Jackson is auctioning off cars that are rare and meant something to someone back in the day. In a sense this is "our" muscle car. The demographic of many M3 owners right now are 30+ who enjoy and apreciate the car. In 50 years, you'll all be old (sorry for the punn) and there will not be anymore "muscle cars" made. For many of us, 50 years from now if we have a chance to buy a 2013 E92 M3 win 1.5 miles on the odometer, we will be `very excited`. I bet that in 50 years, the M3 will be worth of equivalent $300,000 right now. Who knows what it might actually be worth in the future due to inflation, blah blah blah.

BUT

If someone was to buy and store a E92 M3 (special edition something) in a enviromentally controlled container made of glass, or even in vacuum it would be one hot item on something like the Barret Jackson auction.

The cost involved would be the cost of the M3 - 80k or so, and the cost of the container and enviromental maintainance - maybe 20 - 30k.
Has anyone thought about this
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
 
MDyDinanM's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 2,086
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
I think the type and/or term "muscle car" changes over the years. Look how Mustangs and Corvettes evolved over the years.

Who's to say what the future will hold and what the standard of what a muscle car will be. Sure, there will be the traditionalists, but there will be a generation of 30 something year olds that will perhaps see things differently.

If someone wants to put a e9x M3 in a time capsule, more power to them and I'm sure BMW enthusiasts will admire it.
__________________
Retired: '06 BMW E46 ///M3
Current: '08 BMW E60 DINAN ///M5, Interlagos Blue, SMG
DINAN Stage 2 Suspension, Exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
MDyDinanM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
 
Phanto///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Island

Posts: 383
iTrader: (2)

Who knows what the future holds. One could say this should have been done with the previous models. If someone wants to do this more power to them. This could either pay off or not. I however am going to enjoy my car in the current moment and drive the hell out of it.
Phanto///M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Peahi
Captain
 
Peahi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 670
iTrader: (0)

Didn't Austin powers already freeze vanilla ice. I dont think that one is gonna have a good roi. Lol.
__________________
Peahi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,256
iTrader: (5)

if i had 80k lying around i would do it
__________________
Current: 2015 M4, SSII / SO
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
canadian stig
Banned
 
canadian stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
This thread is not intended to flames or arguments, I'm just throwing out an idea and want to hear your thoughts on this.

Considering the fact that the E92 M3 is the last of its breed (and we talked about this to death) has anyone considered building a time capsule and putting one in there. Here's what I mean:

Barret Jackson is auctioning off cars that are rare and meant something to someone back in the day. In a sense this is "our" muscle car. The demographic of many M3 owners right now are 30+ who enjoy and apreciate the car. In 50 years, you'll all be old (sorry for the punn) and there will not be anymore "muscle cars" made. For many of us, 50 years from now if we have a chance to buy a 2013 E92 M3 win 1.5 miles on the odometer, we will be `very excited`. I bet that in 50 years, the M3 will be worth of equivalent $300,000 right now. Who knows what it might actually be worth in the future due to inflation, blah blah blah.

BUT

If someone was to buy and store a E92 M3 (special edition something) in a enviromentally controlled container made of glass, or even in vacuum it would be one hot item on something like the Barret Jackson auction.

The cost involved would be the cost of the M3 - 80k or so, and the cost of the container and enviromental maintainance - maybe 20 - 30k.
Has anyone thought about this
Vacuum storage? And that 20-30k would more likely be an ANNUAL cost! You're talking about some very strict environmental control storage, monitoring air temp, pressure, humidity, oxygen content, etc. That would require a lot of sensors, fans, filters, and computers to monitor that, along with a team of engineers to maintain and fix all the electronic gadgetry. All that because you're gambling on the possibility that in 50 years, some sucker will pay you $10 million for it and you will make a profit?

And how do you know we will even have roads in 50 years? Perhaps then cars will take off vertically and fly to their destination, and asphalt roads would be a thing of the past. In that case your literally "mint condition" M3 would sell cheaper than a can of soda.
canadian stig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Ghetto2315
Major
 
Drives: Like I Stole It...
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The REAL Jersey Shore

Posts: 1,251
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I'm expecting flying DeLoreans in 50 years
Ghetto2315 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian stig View Post
Vacuum storage? And that 20-30k would more likely be an ANNUAL cost! You're talking about some very strict environmental control storage, monitoring air temp, pressure, humidity, oxygen content, etc. That would require a lot of sensors, fans, filters, and computers to monitor that, along with a team of engineers to maintain and fix all the electronic gadgetry. All that because you're gambling on the possibility that in 50 years, some sucker will pay you $10 million for it and you will make a profit?

And how do you know we will even have roads in 50 years? Perhaps then cars will take off vertically and fly to their destination, and asphalt roads would be a thing of the past. In that case your literally "mint condition" M3 would sell cheaper than a can of soda.
And we will all walk around with phasers and travel in space ships. In that case the M3 would be worth more money.

I don't think my idea is solely focused on making cash. Its more of a unique history to look back at and enjoy something nostalgic. Certain 69 Mustangs will fetch ~200k because people want to own something unique. Imagine in the future, one of our forum members who once owned and enjoyed a Lime Rock Park Edition of the M3 sees a brand new E92 LRP edition on TV on Barret Jackson and he is filthy rich. I bet he would spend 3 times the sticker to own it again. Especially if all we'll be driving are electric cars with no soul.

I don't think it would cost 20k/year to maintain an enviromentally sound storage unit. I don't know for sure, but I can't be that bad. Build an air tight container, suck out the air and put a plug in the hole simple Or you can buy one of those "as seen on tv" space storage bags and a big vacuum and do it yourself. Heck, even those boat wraps should do the trick. Imagine that M3 in a condom.

Keep 'em coming.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
highyo
Banned
 
Drives: M3, X5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: nYc

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

I don't know about all this babble but for my part, i am already sad that this car is going away and i only have 8,000 miles on it. i just can't believe a better car will ever be made. that's (another reason) why i savor every time i start that engine up. every single time is special
highyo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #10
X2Board
Late Apex
 
X2Board's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 X5 M
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wake County, NC

Posts: 739
iTrader: (1)

Screw that! In 50 years I'll probably be nothing but a memory to my kids and grand kids. I'm enjoying what I have here and now!!
__________________
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M "Torquegasm"
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
2009 Montego Blue/Grey E90 335i -Gone-
X2Board is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
canadian stig
Banned
 
canadian stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
And we will all walk around with phasers and travel in space ships. In that case the M3 would be worth more money.

I don't think my idea is solely focused on making cash. Its more of a unique history to look back at and enjoy something nostalgic. Certain 69 Mustangs will fetch ~200k because people want to own something unique. Imagine in the future, one of our forum members who once owned and enjoyed a Lime Rock Park Edition of the M3 sees a brand new E92 LRP edition on TV on Barret Jackson and he is filthy rich. I bet he would spend 3 times the sticker to own it again. Especially if all we'll be driving are electric cars with no soul.

I don't think it would cost 20k/year to maintain an enviromentally sound storage unit. I don't know for sure, but I can't be that bad. Build an air tight container, suck out the air and put a plug in the hole simple Or you can buy one of those "as seen on tv" space storage bags and a big vacuum and do it yourself. Heck, even those boat wraps should do the trick. Imagine that M3 in a condom.

Keep 'em coming.
You're also forgetting something. If the car isn't driven a single millimetre in 50 years and just keep it in a shrink wrap then the battery will be drained, the tires will lose air and flat spot and break apart, the gears in the tranny and diff, along with the engine pistons and crank will all dry out of oil and seize into each other, and the car would be an inoperable and undriveable piece of junk.

Why not just store it in one of those heated garages for those 50 years, and take it out for a spin every once in a while just to keep it in working condition? And then see what happens in 50 years. Of course I'll probably be dead by then. so if there was an afterlife and we met there, let me know how it went. And if there wasn't an afterlife, then I guess I wouldn't care about your project because I wouldn't even be existing anymore.
canadian stig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Darth One
Former yr 1of1 owner
 
Darth One's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL

Posts: 1,109
iTrader: (0)

why don't you do a search to see how many cars in the last 50 years have appreciated in value compared to their original MSRP, in inflation-adjusted dollars. i am not talking about cars that have held their value well, i'm talking about cars that you would actually turn a profit on if you bought them new 50 years ago? remember that it has to be adjusted for inflation.

then take out your storage and maintenance expenses, and also think about the fact that if you can find a CD that pays you 3% a year, that $80k will be $350k in 50 years without needing to store a vehicle or take the risk that it depreciates. if you can beat that deal then go for it
Darth One is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Trip3's
Lieutenant
 
Trip3's's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Long island

Posts: 434
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
why don't you do a search to see how many cars in the last 50 years have appreciated in value compared to their original MSRP, in inflation-adjusted dollars. i am not talking about cars that have held their value well, i'm talking about cars that you would actually turn a profit on if you bought them new 50 years ago? remember that it has to be adjusted for inflation.

then take out your storage and maintenance expenses, and also think about the fact that if you can find a CD that pays you 3% a year, that $80k will be $350k in 50 years without needing to store a vehicle or take the risk that it depreciates. if you can beat that deal then go for it
THANK YOU!!!! Every time I see a thread like this I want to type this out, the problem is I'm too lazy.
Trip3's is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Slowracer
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 Silverstone E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

That return on investment is not real good. But if someone wants to do it for the love of the machine...

You wonder if there will be proper fuel available in 50 years!

It's sing-along time, especially for our friends north of the U.S.:

"my uncle has a country place, that no one knows about. He said it used to be a farm, before the motor law....

down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me an old machine, for fifty-odd years. To keep as new has been his dearest dream..."
Slowracer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
NHman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 M3 MR ZCP DCT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorthEast

Posts: 463
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
why don't you do a search to see how many cars in the last 50 years have appreciated in value compared to their original MSRP, in inflation-adjusted dollars. i am not talking about cars that have held their value well, i'm talking about cars that you would actually turn a profit on if you bought them new 50 years ago? remember that it has to be adjusted for inflation.

then take out your storage and maintenance expenses, and also think about the fact that if you can find a CD that pays you 3% a year, that $80k will be $350k in 50 years without needing to store a vehicle or take the risk that it depreciates. if you can beat that deal then go for it
+1

For now, the only M3 that is appreciating in value is the E30. I don't recall the production numbers but it was far below the current E9x. Perhaps the only version that would have a chance (25+ years from now) would be the GTS edition. Otherwise I am with the others, if you own it, enjoy it for today. Who knows what tomorrow may bring.
NHman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,238
iTrader: (0)

I love how everyone's looking at this in $ terms. The systematic brainwashing is almost complete :


pee ess: value exists outside of dollars and cents
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
 
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Posts: 4,747
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
M3 production

E30=17,184 coupe, 784 vert
E36=46,525 coupe, 12,114 vert, 12,603 sedan
E46=54,723 coupe, 29,721 vert

-a year and 1/2 ago.....final TBD
E92=~24,000
E90=~6,700
E93=~8,900

You wanna put something in a time capsule? Get a 1M!
__________________
Mr.Metak2you is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I don't know what the future holds, however, today there are only 2 BMW's on the 2013 Barret Jackson's list (see attached image). I have a 1987 BMW 535is that car at the time of sale in 1987 was only one step below the then M5. Our 1987 does has the bumpers from the M5 and some other M5 options. I have no clue what the car would get at Barret Jackson's auction not that we ever sell it it has too much sentimental value.

In general I think there is not too much interest at Barret Jackson for European cars considering the overwhelming American cars at the yearly Barret Jackson Auction.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
canadian stig
Banned
 
canadian stig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: canada

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

I think too many people have an inflated sense of their car's worth. We're talking about a 3 series here, not some handmade italian exotic. 3 series, including m3, are a dime a dozen on the autotrader. It won't become a collectible just because it has a N/A engine, a high redline, high specific output, yadda yadda. 13 years ago honda made the s2000 with a N/A engine that revved to 9000 rpm, and made more hp and tq per litre than the m3 engine. should we also collect ap1 s2000 and shrinkwrap them so that we can sell them for a couple million bucks each 50 years from now?

Cars are an awful "investment" of money. Put your money into bonds or real estate instead.
canadian stig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
MRV99
Drank the Koolaid
 
MRV99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Naperville

Posts: 405
iTrader: (0)

Yea but a old muscle car is not a rolling computer. Any ol wrench will fix a carb. Try getting replacement electronics or tools to fix an ancient BMW computer when it stops working at 1200 miles in 2063. I guess you could try for a goodwill warranty claim......
__________________

12 X5 50i Sport w/ Adaptive drive -- 11 M3 DCT
--- Laid to rest----
2011 X5 50i (Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
MRV99 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #21
Crypty
Private First Class
 
Drives: '08 e92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

I think a minty 1M would be better.
Crypty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 401
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
Yea but a old muscle car is not a rolling computer. Any ol wrench will fix a carb. Try getting replacement electronics or tools to fix an ancient BMW computer when it stops working at 1200 miles in 2063. I guess you could try for a goodwill warranty claim......
Great point. This car has a ton of sensors and gadgets that can break down. I can imagine some rich dude in 50 years getting pissed off that his seat belt keeps slipping off of the robot arm when handing him the seat belt. I love the convenience package, but it can be a hassle when it doesn't work.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST