BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Heated Mirror Glass

So I have a 2012 e92 M3. I know it has the heated mirror glass (I saw the connections attached it the back side of the mirrors when I took the caps off) but noticed they do not heat up when the temp is cold like they are supposed to. Took it to the dealer who spent 3 days on it only to tell me that because I do not have the Premium package with the navi, power seats and auto-folding mirrors ...the mirror glass will not heat up.

I explained to them it has the Cold weather package, how could the heated mirror glass not work? Their answer was that BMW only includes the heated mirrors on the M3 with the Premium package. So my question:

1) Is the dealer being straight with me? Anyone out there without the Premium package who have the heated mirror glass?

Any insight would be much appreciated.. THANKS

Last edited by Amri215; 01-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
GoddrivesanM3
New Member
GoddrivesanM3's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Haddonfield, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm sure your dealer checked yours, but I was told this past Saturday by my local dealership that my battery was at 40% output and that was why my rear defoggers and clock would not work. Additionally, if the battery was replaced for $449., they would register the battery so these systems could begin working again.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddrivesanM3 View Post
I'm sure your dealer checked yours, but I was told this past Saturday by my local dealership that my battery was at 40% output and that was why my rear defoggers and clock would not work. Additionally, if the battery was replaced for $449., they would register the battery so these systems could begin working again.
First thing they did was to reset the battery (output was perfect, as expected on a 2012 car) they also swapped both side mirror glass and replaced the ambient temp sensor.. Still nothing

Right now I am looking for independent confirmation from others here without the Premium package to see if their mirror glass heat up and if there is a coding option to get them to work
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
So I have a 2012 e92 M3. I know it has the heated mirror glass (I saw the connections attached it the back side of the mirrors when I took the caps off) but noticed they do not heat up when the temp is cold like they are supposed to. Took it to the dealer who spent 3 days on it only to tell me that because I do not have the Premium package with the navi, power seats and auto-folding mirrors ...the mirror glass will not heat up.

I explained to them it has the Cold weather package, how could the heated mirror glass not work? Their answer was that BMW only includes the heated mirrors on the M3 with the Premium package. So I have two questions:

1) Is the dealer being straight with me? Anyone out there without the Premium package who have the heated mirror glass?

2) Can I have the heated mirrors coded to work on my car?

Any insight would be much appreciated.. THANKS
Heated Mirrors are standard equipment in the M3 since introduction back in 2008: Page 42/46/50 (depending on model year) in the Owner's Manual:

Quote:
Automatic heating
Depending on the outside temperature, both exterior mirrors are heated automatically when the engine is running or the ignition is switched on.
The dealer is just wrong.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Heated Mirrors are standard equipment in the M3 since introduction back in 2008: Page 42/46/50 (depending on model year) in the Owner's Manual
The dealer is just wrong.
I did read that in my manual (first thing I did)

On my invoice from the dealer they wrote:

"Feature is not equipped. This vehicle has Cold Weather Packge (heated seats, headlight washers, ski bag)
Heated mirrors come with the Premium Package Option (includes auto folding mirrors, mirror dip function) and are activated when using heated seats"


I dont know what to think at this point which is why I'd really like to hear from folks without the premium package to see what is really going on.

Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
11,205
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
I did read that in my manual (first thing I did)

On my invoice from the dealer they wrote:

"Feature is not equipped. This vehicle has Cold Weather Packge (heated seats, headlight washers, ski bag)
Heated mirrors come with the Premium Package Option (includes auto folding mirrors, mirror dip function) and are activated when using heated seats"


I dont know what to think at this point which is why I'd really like to hear from folks without the premium package to see what is really going on.

Very frustrating.
Your dealer is wrong.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
37
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

My vote is the dealer is mis-informed as usual. I know my car (2011, no CWP or heated seats) has mirrors that are heated when it is cold enough outside...

I can't find the 2012 guide but here is the '13 ordering guide where the Premium Pkge is described and there is no mention of heated mirrors as part of that package.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...dering%2Bguide
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Anyone without the Premium package who can confirm if they have heated mirror glass?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
MilehighM3
Colonel
MilehighM3's Avatar
21
Rep
2,184
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215
Anyone without the Premium package who can confirm if they have heated mirror glass?
I do not have premium package, therefore I don't have power folding mirrors and/or exterior auto dimming mirrors either. I do have heated mirrors, and yes they are standard. The dealer is wrong. If there are electrical connectors directly on the glass, they are for the heaters.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
///M Ryder's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,576
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sugar Land

iTrader: (5)

OP, here's the ammo you need........Download standard/optional equipment and go to page 3.....................Phil

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
__________________
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Amri215
Banned
Amri215's Avatar
3
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
I do not have premium package, therefore I don't have power folding mirrors and/or exterior auto dimming mirrors either. I do have heated mirrors, and yes they are standard. The dealer is wrong. If there are electrical connectors directly on the glass, they are for the heaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
OP, here's the ammo you need........Download standard/optional equipment and go to page 3.....................Phil

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx
THANKS guys..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
lookitsma
Private First Class
2
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

I've realized the BMW dealer in my neighborhood are complete idiots. Trying to keep my car as factory as possible, I thought to bring in my car in for service. What they were telling me and what I was reading in the manual were completely different and they always quote for the higher price.

That and the fact that a lot of dealers don't even fill your car up correctly with the right amount of oil. I've given up. :P. I feel like this is one of the drawbacks of having so many different platforms for an auto maker.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
M3776
Private
M3776's Avatar
0
Rep
74
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E93 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
I've realized the BMW dealer in my neighborhood are complete idiots. Trying to keep my car as factory as possible, I thought to bring in my car in for service. What they were telling me and what I was reading in the manual were completely different and they always quote for the higher price.

That and the fact that a lot of dealers don't even fill your car up correctly with the right amount of oil. I've given up. :P. I feel like this is one of the drawbacks of having so many different platforms for an auto maker.
If its Life Quality, no one has anything nice to say about them.
__________________
Ask me any construction and renovation questions you might have! NYC
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #14
lookitsma
Private First Class
2
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3776 View Post
If its Life Quality, no one has anything nice to say about them.
In my case, I was speaking about BMW of Tenafly. I asked for an alignment and they quoted me $600 because all M3 have a special electronic steering system (I can't recall what the acronym was.) While I had them on the phone, I looked it up and found this was untrue. I called them out on it and they said the manual was wrong. I politely hung up at this point and went to my EuroTire I used to go for my P car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
DBH
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
349
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Why would a dealer take three days to figure out that heated mirrors only come with the premium package.

Hey, why don't you ask them why your airbag doesn't deploy when you jam the brakes on. I'll bet they'll tell you that air bags only come with the "safety package".
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
37
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
Why would a dealer take three days to figure out that heated mirrors only come with the premium package.
:
Or better yet, why didn't the dealer know that the heated mirrors are STANDARD on all M3's...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
DBH
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
349
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Or better yet, why didn't the dealer know that the heated mirrors are STANDARD on all M3's...
That's what I meant...I was being sarcastic!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
37
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBH View Post
That's what I meant...I was being sarcastic!
Sorry! Missed the sarcasm, easy to over look in plain text...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
soberin
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
240
Posts

 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
I've realized the BMW dealer in my neighborhood are complete idiots. Trying to keep my car as factory as possible, I thought to bring in my car in for service. What they were telling me and what I was reading in the manual were completely different and they always quote for the higher price.

That and the fact that a lot of dealers don't even fill your car up correctly with the right amount of oil. I've given up. :P. I feel like this is one of the drawbacks of having so many different platforms for an auto maker.

I doubt there are such stupid and misinformed dealers in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
jaehshim
Captain
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
797
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsma View Post
In my case, I was speaking about BMW of Tenafly. I asked for an alignment and they quoted me $600 because all M3 have a special electronic steering system (I can't recall what the acronym was.) While I had them on the phone, I looked it up and found this was untrue. I called them out on it and they said the manual was wrong. I politely hung up at this point and went to my EuroTire I used to go for my P car.
stay AWAY from that dealer
I had enough with that dealer, just like MANY NY/NJ owners here have experienced.
Never, EVER going to that dealer even for an oil change.
If you are gonna stay over on this side(NJ) for dealer service, try Park Ave or Prestige.
I used Prestige recently, very happy with their service
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
jaehshim
Captain
jaehshim's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
797
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (2)

okay, so how is this activated?

Instead of a button or usual "defroster" button, our M3's heated mirrors are activated automatically when it's cold outside?

I had previous cars with separate mirror defroster button by the window switch or one defroster button that activates rear windows and mirrors all together...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #22
MRSSIIM3
General
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,342
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SSII/SO M4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
okay, so how is this activated?

Instead of a button or usual "defroster" button, our M3's heated mirrors are activated automatically when it's cold outside?

I had previous cars with separate mirror defroster button by the window switch or one defroster button that activates rear windows and mirrors all together...
its automatic man
__________________
Current: 2015 M4, SSII / SO
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST