BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Exclamation Nearly caught out by the ESS E-FLASH timebomb!

My car was booked at the dealership today for its 30K service. Last night I went to flash the car back to stock in preparation but when I clicked on the E-FLASH application it popped up a dialog box saying:

Quote:
Unregistered Version. Sorry but this version has expired! Please request the latest version from your program vendor. [OK?]
This came as a bit of a shock since I bought the ESS tune believing that I was able to revert to stock at short notice. It never even occurred to me that the software might have a timebomb built in!

To make things worse, I didn't even have an internet connection available.
Once I got back to internet civilization, I emailed ESS customer support and luckily a working version of EFLASH arrived by email at around 4am and I managed to get the car flashed first thing this morning.

Obviously this was partly my own stupid fault for assuming that software I installed on a laptop a few months ago which hasn't been turned on since would still work when I came back to it later!

Thought I would post this so others don't get caught out....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
My car was booked at the dealership today for its 30K service. Last night I went to flash the car back to stock in preparation but when I clicked on the E-FLASH application it popped up a dialog box saying:

This came as a bit of a shock since I bought the ESS tune believing that I was able to revert to stock at short notice. It never even occurred to me that the software might have a timebomb built in!

To make things worse, I didn't even have an internet connection available.
Once I got back to internet civilization, I emailed ESS customer support and luckily a working version of EFLASH arrived by email at around 4am and I managed to get the car flashed first thing this morning.

Obviously this was partly my own stupid fault for assuming that software I installed on a laptop a few months ago which hasn't been turned on since would still work when I came back to it later!

Thought I would post this so others don't get caught out....
The E-Flash interface software is updated from time to time and will give you the message when it needs to be updated. If this happens simply email us and we will provide you with a download link.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

ok im a little confused...i was under the imoression that you dont have to flash back whenyou go into get serviced bc they wont be able to track it...is this true or nit? Roman can prolly help bc i have an ESS rune but am waiting to put it on until i order a pulley kit...tha ks for info in advance
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3FREAK View Post
ok im a little confused...i was under the imoression that you dont have to flash back whenyou go into get serviced bc they wont be able to track it...is this true or nit? Roman can prolly help bc i have an ESS rune but am waiting to put it on until i order a pulley kit...tha ks for info in advance
Depends on your comfort level with your dealer / service advisor. If you want to have your original software in for dealer visits you can reload it before you go. Many leave the tune in during general visits but that decision is up to you.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

ok thanks i appreciate it...is there a way to use my mac for my tune by chance? or should i just link up with a friend and use the comluter?
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
ok thanks i appreciate it...is there a way to use my mac for my tune by chance? or should i just link up with a friend and use the comluter?
It can be used on a MAC if you have windows emulator software on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Depends on your comfort level with your dealer / service advisor. If you want to have your original software in for dealer visits you can reload it before you go. Many leave the tune in during general visits but that decision is up to you.
I'm confused... you can install the stock software while the Super charger is installed for dealer visits?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knolow View Post
I'm confused... you can install the stock software while the Super charger is installed for dealer visits?
I was referring to NA software. I guess you could with your supercharger also if you wanted to but the car running bad and the supercharger installed under the hood might give away your secret
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Yes - I was running an ESS tune with the minimal cold-start. I really like not having the car sound like a bag of spanners when I start it up on a cold morning, but it's also somewhat obvious to a BMW service technician.

For the moment, I'd rather not have any warranty arguments! ;-)

Don't get me wrong, ESS were pretty helpful and responsive at getting me the new software, but there's an important difference between 'updated software version available, please upgrade at your convenience' and 'license expired, you can no longer run this program'
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Glad everything was handled quickly, we have a FAQ at this link for more info:

ESS E-Flash ECU Performance Software Cable Overview
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769500

Let me know if you have any questions along the way!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
I was referring to NA software. I guess you could with your supercharger also if you wanted to but the car running bad and the supercharger installed under the hood might give away your secret
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
bimmergoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 E90 Jerez Black

Quote:
just buy and download VMWare Fusion for Mac and then load the Winows OS of your choice. You can get it from the App Store or VMWare site.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
dam that was stupid of me. lol. my bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
dam that was stupid of me. lol. my bad.
No worries
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Glad everything was handled quickly, we have a FAQ at this link for more info:

ESS E-Flash ECU Performance Software Cable Overview
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769500

Let me know if you have any questions along the way!
thanks for posting this. could you pm me the price for the ess unit shipped with 240e software?

thanks
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
thanks for posting this. could you pm me the price for the ess unit shipped with 240e software?

thanks
PM on the way!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

You can if you swap out the fuel injectors to stock and then a stock tune. Have the dealer do their thing and reinstall injectors and new SC tune. Keep out of the boost(tell the dealer).

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
You can if you swap out the fuel injectors to stock and then a stock tune. Have the dealer do their thing and reinstall injectors and new SC tune. Keep out of the boost(tell the dealer).
Thats such a bad idea. Swap out the injectors to OEM and if someone loads up the boost, the car will run extremely lean. Timebomb.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Exactly why I said what I said. I have done this a few times with clients.To each there own. I have a dealer that listens to me. So do this and take the belt off if you are not confident in your shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Thats such a bad idea. Swap out the injectors to OEM and if someone loads up the boost, the car will run extremely lean. Timebomb.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Why does one eflash version have to be non-functional just because you update it? Would be nice to have a working version regardless and an update as an option if something changes or improves.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Why does one eflash version have to be non-functional just because you update it? Would be nice to have a working version regardless and an update as an option if something changes or improves.
Good question, was wondering the same thing!
Appreciate 0