BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

11-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 - AW

Garage door opener issues

I cant get my opener to work on the car. I have a Genie rolling code opener. I have tried what the manual said.
1) Press the learn button
2) Press and hold down the button in the car for 3 seconds and repeat.

I have also tried the conventional way with the actual door opener remote, but I know it is a rolling code opener.

Any help would be great.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Just did mine for new opener.

1. Cleared out car memory buttons by pushing and holding right and left buttons for about 20 seconds.

2. Held garage door remote close to rear view mirror and simultaneously pushed and held the button and memory button 1 until light flashed rapidly.

3. Went to garage door opener and pushed "learn" button.

4. Back to car and pushed memory button 1.

Best of luck.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 1
sgovind75.50
      11-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Awesome I will try that.

I do not believe in step 2 my light would flash rapidly and that was the issue but I am going to give that a go.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Nuke818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Thanks for posting this man. I got my car on Wednesday and the first thing I did when I got home was trying and program the opener. Needless to say I wasn't successful. Got it now though.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
Awesome I will try that.

I do not believe in step 2 my light would flash rapidly and that was the issue but I am going to give that a go.

Make sure ignition is on.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Did not work. Engine running.

I reset the opener in car.
I took the handheld genie remote and pressed the button at the same time as 1 button. Light blinks on the mirror slowly but never blinks fast.

Any other thoughts? Could my opener in the car actually be malfunctioning?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

If it helps I have a Genie Promax Chain Guide opener.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I have programed a few different doors to homelink in 3,5,x5 and I have had my struggles.

1) I just because your remote opens your garage door, does not mean it will work to sync your homelink. This may be a confusing statement, but I have 3 remotes for my garage and I can only program my cars(homelink) with 1 of the remotes. The other two WILL NOT code my BMW's, wierd I know.

2) are you continuously and simultaneously holding the buttons down and at close proximity? just checking...

3) If you have the ability, you may want to have a second person. On one garage door, I had my wife push the learn button while i pushed the homelink.

4) On my 08 550, i had to push and hold the homelink button 3 times for 3 seconds each for it to recognize (while the learn button on the garage door was on).

There is one more thing. How old is your garage door? I remember reading that there are some new garage doors which will not work with the Homelink. You have to get a secondary receiver which sync's with the garage door and then you sync the homelink with the secondary receiver. If you go to the homelink site, you can find more information.

I hope this helps

I hope this helps.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
There is one more thing. How old is your garage door? I remember reading that there are some new garage doors which will not work with the Homelink. You have to get a secondary receiver which sync's with the garage door and then you sync the homelink with the secondary receiver. If you go to the homelink site, you can find more information.
What you are referring to is applicable with Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Sears Craftsman openers made with the "Security +2.0" rolling code system. As far as I am aware, this is only an issue on openers made by Chamberlain in the last year or two, and does not apply to Genie openers. If you have one of the openers by Chamberlain, then there is a repeater module that plugs into an outlet in or near the opener that translates the older Homelink systems in our BMWs to the newer codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
I have programed a few different doors to homelink in 3,5,x5 and I have had my struggles.

1) I just because your remote opens your garage door, does not mean it will work to sync your homelink. This may be a confusing statement, but I have 3 remotes for my garage and I can only program my cars(homelink) with 1 of the remotes. The other two WILL NOT code my BMW's, wierd I know.

2) are you continuously and simultaneously holding the buttons down and at close proximity? just checking...

3) If you have the ability, you may want to have a second person. On one garage door, I had my wife push the learn button while i pushed the homelink.

4) On my 08 550, i had to push and hold the homelink button 3 times for 3 seconds each for it to recognize (while the learn button on the garage door was on).

I hope this helps

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the response. I will try again today. I have tried everything so far that has been suggested. I have spent hours on this thing and really just gave help.

I will try these new ideas today and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
MentholGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3

Find out which remote you have first, either Fixed-code or Alternating-code remote.

Video clip below will show the way to set both remotes.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Nope. Still doesn't work. The Lexus homelink is just fine. Mine won't work. Almost seems like it is just not working. Can't imagine it would work on other cars but not this one.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
bandido
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Singapore Grey

That is weird. The one programming step that is kind of odd is having to take the remote and moving it around the rearview mirror in different locations, less than a 6" away until you get the blinking to change. Once the blinking changes, then the remote is programmed and now for the opener. Push the learn button on the opener motor and then the remote... All that said, it sounds like you have an issue if you are already trying that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

I have the rolling code kind of opener. I tried exactly like the video, pressing 3 times. I have even tried the non rolling code method with my remote just to give it a go.

Nothing. I am at a loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #15
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinzo View Post
Just did mine for new opener.

1. Cleared out car memory buttons by pushing and holding right and left buttons for about 20 seconds.

2. Held garage door remote close to rear view mirror and simultaneously pushed and held the button and memory button 1 until light flashed rapidly.

3. Went to garage door opener and pushed "learn" button.

4. Back to car and pushed memory button 1.

Best of luck.
Quote:
I have the rolling code kind of opener. I tried exactly like the video, pressing 3 times. I have even tried the non rolling code method with my remote just to give it a go.

Nothing. I am at a loss.
I've had frustrations with this before as well. For me the hang up seemed to be step 4. You need to hold the car's homelink button down for a few seconds during step 4 while programming, instead of just pushing and releasing.
      12-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I've had frustrations with this before as well. For me the hang up seemed to be step 4. You need to hold the car's homelink button down for a few seconds during step 4 while programming, instead of just pushing and releasing.
You are the man. Your suggestion was the trick. I was not holding down the button long enough. I did step 1-4 but on the last step once I pressed the learn button I then just pressed and held the homelink button one time for about 5 seconds and voila, magic.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
You are the man. Your suggestion was the trick. I was not holding down the button long enough. I did step 1-4 but on the last step once I pressed the learn button I then just pressed and held the homelink button one time for about 5 seconds and voila, magic.
Woo-hoo! Glad I could help.
      01-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

OP glad you got this to work, one more tip was that for many of us, we also had to literally touch the garage remote control to the homelink mirror.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
OP glad you got this to work, one more tip was that for many of us, we also had to literally touch the garage remote control to the homelink mirror.
Yep. I had to keep moving the opener around until I could get it to work.

It has been working great. Hopefully these tips will help someone else in need.

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #20
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWeiss View Post
What you are referring to is applicable with Liftmaster/Chamberlain/Sears Craftsman openers made with the "Security +2.0" rolling code system. As far as I am aware, this is only an issue on openers made by Chamberlain in the last year or two, and does not apply to Genie openers. If you have one of the openers by Chamberlain, then there is a repeater module that plugs into an outlet in or near the opener that translates the older Homelink systems in our BMWs to the newer codes.
I have that repeater and it's terrible! The thing works for a few days, then gets intermittent, then stops working altogether until you re-pair it to the garage door opener. I gave up on it and went back to using the standalone clicker.

Considering Security+ 2.0 has been around for a while (I believe that the spec is 5+ years old and Chamberlain has been using it for about 2-3 years) it's surprising that BMW hasn't had their built-in opener (or whomever they source it to) updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenb11 View Post
I have that repeater and it's terrible! The thing works for a few days, then gets intermittent, then stops working altogether until you re-pair it to the garage door opener. I gave up on it and went back to using the standalone clicker.

Considering Security+ 2.0 has been around for a while (I believe that the spec is 5+ years old and Chamberlain has been using it for about 2-3 years) it's surprising that BMW hasn't had their built-in opener (or whomever they source it to) updated.
eisenb11: You are the first person I've heard of having an issue with the repeater! I have been using mine for about a year now and have never had to re-pair it to the opener. I have two Liftmaster 8550 openers on my garage and have one repeater plugged into the AC outlet that powers one of my openers, so its directly above the opener about 1 foot.

I have three vehicles with two of them requiring the repeater; my M3 and my wife's Juke. I also have a 2010 Dodge Ram truck that is compatible with the newer rolling code. Johnson Controls makes all the Homelink brand opener modules for the car companies as well as the repeater module. From what I understand, very few imports use the newer rolling code technology, but most American car companies have switched. I will say, that my two imports do require a longer push of the button to open the door where my Ram requires a much shorter duration.

Perhaps your repeater is defective, suffering RF interference or just mounted in a bad location? Did you get your repeater free from Homelink or did you buy yours? Depending on the car, Homelink was providing repeaters for free,; just pay about $7 shipping costs. It is unfortunate that BMW and others have not updated their Homelinks...you would think that a car that costs as much as these do, they would! Anyway, I don't want to be off topic from this thread so if you have any questions just PM me. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #22
Da Hapa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I hate to revive an old thread but thanks! I've successfully programmed Homelink on Honda, Audi, Porsche, and Lexus without a problem. I can NOT get it programmed on my E90 M3 and it's driving me bat shit.

I am fastidiously holding the remote 4+ inches from the mirror and I suspect that's my problem. I'm going to try and touch it to the button and see if that works.

BTW - ignitiion is on, I've changed out the batteries on both remotes, and I'm using the full sized remotes... nada. I have a rolling code opener but I can't even get to the learning code part because the remote and homelink button aren't syncing.
Appreciate 0