BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Tonyfsu21
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Launch Control

Before I get blasted & flamed I am going to preface my question with the fact that I baby the crap out of my 2011 E92 M3 DCT. She has 12,000 gentle miles on her and has never been abused.

I want to know about launch control. I'm getting bored of staring at my car sitting in the garage and I'm ready to F*cking make this B*tch work!!!! Can launch control damage the vehicle in any way? Warranty issues? Anyone use launch control on a regular basis?
Tonyfsu21 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
nbennettksu
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale

Posts: 957
iTrader: (0)

I'm sure you mean for track use, correct?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
Caddy ATS . . . finally, a decent rental car option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
nbennettksu is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,028
iTrader: (0)

There are so many threads on the Internet about this, let alone m3post. Search and Google is the answer.
mlhj83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Phanto///M
First Lieutenant
 
Phanto///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Island

Posts: 383
iTrader: (2)

Phanto///M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Ghetto2315
Major
 
Drives: Like I Stole It...
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The REAL Jersey Shore

Posts: 1,228
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
X2
Ghetto2315 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
 
JJunkins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 S4
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

There's a quick reference guide in your manual pack that came with the car. Lots of good details regarding LC so check it out. As LC is part of the vehicle functionality, using it will not void your warranty but due to the stresses put on the car, you'll only be able to use it once during a specific computer-controlled time period. I'm unsure what this time period is, could be once every 30 seconds or every 30 minutes. I have no clue but it does state that in the manual.
JJunkins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
AshyLarryMP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJunkins View Post
There's a quick reference guide in your manual pack that came with the car. Lots of good details regarding LC so check it out. As LC is part of the vehicle functionality, using it will not void your warranty but due to the stresses put on the car, you'll only be able to use it once during a specific computer-controlled time period. I'm unsure what this time period is, could be once every 30 seconds or every 30 minutes. I have no clue but it does state that in the manual.
In my owners manual the launch control instructions are wrong. I saw the correct way to do launch control on youtube videos. "Launch control on BMW M3 Frozen " is one the best youtube videos.

Last edited by AshyLarryMP; 01-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (5)

launch control is mans best friend
__________________
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
 
JJunkins's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 S4
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
"Launch control on BMW M3 Frozen" is one the best youtube videos.
Nice vid!!
JJunkins is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Tonyfsu21
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, Jet Black, ZCP
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
I'm sure you mean for track use, correct?
No track use. Just want to try something different on this car before I sell it & get my P-car.
Tonyfsu21 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
///Matthew
Major
 
///Matthew's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,095
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
In my owners manual the launch control instructions are wrong. I saw the correct way to do launch control on youtube videos. "Launch control on BMW M3 Frozen " is one the best youtube videos.
I did a couple too:





Sadly, the road surface was pretty dirty and I could barely get traction in first.
__________________

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
///Matthew is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Have a 6MT. Don't need no stinkin' launch control.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Lemon Jelly M3
Lieutenant
 
Lemon Jelly M3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90,ZCP,6MT)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast

Posts: 477
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Have a 6MT. Don't need no stinkin' launch control.
You can launch with a 6MT, if you know how to do it
Lemon Jelly M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Smile

I have, but I get this funny smell all the time.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Vic311
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Have a 6MT. Don't need no stinkin' launch control.
+1 rather wear my clutch, then have the diff fall out behind me

I dont understand BMW..they puy launch control in a car that is purpose built NOT to launch.
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
AshyLarryMP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
+1 rather wear my clutch, then have the diff fall out behind me

I dont understand BMW..they puy launch control in a car that is purpose built NOT to launch.
It's for the 1/4 time, similar to stop/start. It's numbers.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

You baby your ride, forget you have launch control. Tires are going to be your main issue right away. They will not hook up. If you do it with M mode on you may as well just mash the pedal and watch the revs hit close to 3k and you're gone. You have to have a good throttle foot to Launch with traction control off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyfsu21 View Post
Before I get blasted & flamed I am going to preface my question with the fact that I baby the crap out of my 2011 E92 M3 DCT. She has 12,000 gentle miles on her and has never been abused.

I want to know about launch control. I'm getting bored of staring at my car sitting in the garage and I'm ready to F*cking make this B*tch work!!!! Can launch control damage the vehicle in any way? Warranty issues? Anyone use launch control on a regular basis?
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
M3forMe
M3 Dreamin'
 
M3forMe's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 E92 - AW
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange

Posts: 531
iTrader: (0)

I thought launch control was to get as perfect of a launch as the surface would allow, electronically controlled? In that first of the 3 videos his car is all over the place and almost out of control.

I have only used LC one time and it was in a 2012 Porsche Turbo S. You literally could have held on to the steering wheel with one finger as the car did the rest.
__________________

2013 AW/BLK - DCT, Comp/Cold/Prem
Mods - IND Beauty kit, CF Roundels, CF Splitters, AiB Angel Eyes, EAS Exhaust Tips! B&G lowering springs
M3forMe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #19
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 1,830
iTrader: (2)

If it's cold out I wouldn't touch it. Hot FL asphalt with some good tires should be rewarding...as long as you don't have Conti 3's.

Denk is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
AshyLarryMP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
I thought launch control was to get as perfect of a launch as the surface would allow, electronically controlled? In that first of the 3 videos his car is all over the place and almost out of control.

I have only used LC one time and it was in a 2012 Porsche Turbo S. You literally could have held on to the steering wheel with one finger as the car did the rest.
Porsche awd. You can lower the line rpms with the cruise control stick to get better traction and a good launch. Depends on the tires and environment what rpm you launch. People go down to 3500 rpm I hear.
AshyLarryMP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
 
jpan08's Avatar
 
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Ninja 300
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Hartford, CT/ Boston, MA

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Some service rep in Boston told me that if I did LC more than twice it would void my warranty. I suspect he didn't know what he was talking about
jpan08 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
M3Now!
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 E93, Jerez Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 372
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3forMe View Post
I thought launch control was to get as perfect of a launch as the surface would allow, electronically controlled? In that first of the 3 videos his car is all over the place and almost out of control.

I have only used LC one time and it was in a 2012 Porsche Turbo S. You literally could have held on to the steering wheel with one finger as the car did the rest.
Probably depends on the road surface. Have used mine twice, both times it launched perfectly with minimal wheelspin (and without reducing the launch RPM). If the surface is bad, or you crank up the RPM beyond the tires' capability, you'd think you'll get some spin.

Cheers
__________________


2009 E93 M3 - it's, um, pretty fun
M3Now! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST