BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Can someone explain what the NClass motors and their failure/lack of failure rate has to do with the S65?
Totally agree, or how anyone here without inside knowledge can actually make an accurate analogy in the first place.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Can someone explain what the NClass motors and their failure/lack of failure rate has to do with the S65?
With all your mods,i can tell you, your engine is on borrowed time.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Really? You can tell me that? Do have any tangible evidence on what I have done or not done to prevent the inevitable? Do you know how often my oil is changed? Do you know if I have had S65's apart and seen the what wear occurs at different mileage and being FI or NA? You are aware that ALL combustion motors wear and sooner or later need re builds?



Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
With all your mods,i can tell you, your engine is on borrowed time.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #26
passing
hey
 
passing's Avatar
 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

Posts: 403
iTrader: (4)

its so hard to tell by those videos what the root cause of the noise is.

overhype indeed. my motor makes such a racket that i dont even think or worry about it.

if any of us out of warranty people have a bearing issue, i for one am not waiting around for BMW to step up and fix what's wrong. i didn't buy this car just to listen for a bearing failure.
passing is offline   Tanzania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
its so hard to tell by those videos what the root cause of the noise is.

overhype indeed. my motor makes such a racket that i dont even think or worry about it.

if any of us out of warranty people have a bearing issue, i for one am not waiting around for BMW to step up and fix what's wrong. i didn't buy this car just to listen for a bearing failure.
Well said.
On the same topic, you only live once. Why the hell would you chew your nails and worry about that 1-2% of blown motor that are possibly related to bearings. If it blows under warranty, BMW will replace it. If it blows after, then you're in for a couple of grand. Again, its not like 50% of the motors have blown up. And to add to this, no one really knows what conditions the motors were when they blew up. Like someone mentioned above, we don't know when the oil changes were done, how the person took care of the car.

Rember, most wear and tear happen during start up when the oil is cold. Whos to say that the blown engine haven't been overreved during operation with cold oil temp. There are simply too many unknown variables for anyone to make a statement that the S65 has a general problem.
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #28
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,721
iTrader: (6)

Mine doesn't make any scary sounds but my used oil analysis showed very high wear metals from the bearings and extremely low additive after only 7K miles. I'll be doing another one very soon.

Also, I just drove the piss out of it (as best I could as a track noob) last weekend on the track!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Good plan! My is done every 5K or immediately after track sessions. Life blood



Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Mine doesn't make any scary sounds but my used oil analysis showed very high wear metals from the bearings and extremely low additive after only 7K miles. I'll be doing another one very soon.

Also, I just drove the piss out of it (as best I could as a track noob) last weekend on the track!
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #30
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
 
guardodoc's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M3 e92TiAg, 2009 335i e92
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Clemente

Posts: 243
iTrader: (0)

Bearing shells

Looks like part number of bearing shells changed
Oct 2008

01 AT-CRANKSHAFT WITH BEARING SHELLS 1 11210443639 $2,504.51
02 Bearing shell green 70,00MM(0) 4 10/2008 11217841489 ENDED
03 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL YELLOW 70,00MM(0) 1 10/2008 11217841498 ENDED
04 Bearing shell green 70,00MM(0) 4 10/2008 11217841484 ENDED
05 Guide bearing shell violet 70,00MM(0) 1 10/2008 11217841495 ENDED
guardodoc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #31
Vic311
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by passing View Post
its so hard to tell by those videos what the root cause of the noise is.

overhype indeed. my motor makes such a racket that i dont even think or worry about it.

if any of us out of warranty people have a bearing issue, i for one am not waiting around for BMW to step up and fix what's wrong. i didn't buy this car just to listen for a bearing failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Well said.
On the same topic, you only live once. Why the hell would you chew your nails and worry about that 1-2% of blown motor that are possibly related to bearings. If it blows under warranty, BMW will replace it. If it blows after, then you're in for a couple of grand. Again, its not like 50% of the motors have blown up. And to add to this, no one really knows what conditions the motors were when they blew up. Like someone mentioned above, we don't know when the oil changes were done, how the person took care of the car.

Rember, most wear and tear happen during start up when the oil is cold. Whos to say that the blown engine haven't been overreved during operation with cold oil temp. There are simply too many unknown variables for anyone to make a statement that the S65 has a general problem.
Exactly the point..the engine makes all sort of ticking noises that are completely normal. all threads like this do is spread paranoia about something that happens so infrequently.. its not even statistically significant
Vic311 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #32
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Not a concern at all.




Quote:
Originally Posted by guardodoc View Post
Looks like part number of bearing shells changed
Oct 2008

01 AT-CRANKSHAFT WITH BEARING SHELLS 1 11210443639 $2,504.51
02 Bearing shell green 70,00MM(0) 4 10/2008 11217841489 ENDED
03 GUIDE-BEARING SHELL YELLOW 70,00MM(0) 1 10/2008 11217841498 ENDED
04 Bearing shell green 70,00MM(0) 4 10/2008 11217841484 ENDED
05 Guide bearing shell violet 70,00MM(0) 1 10/2008 11217841495 ENDED
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #33
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,195
iTrader: (5)

my 2013 with 1300 miles on it that i have just gotten the break in service of, does the clicking sound from the second video......now you guys are gonna tell me it has rod bearing failure? give me a break
__________________
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #34
passing
hey
 
passing's Avatar
 
Drives: caprice wagon
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cruisin down the street in my '64

Posts: 403
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3 View Post
my 2013 with 1300 miles on it that i have just gotten the break in service of, does the clicking sound from the second video......now you guys are gonna tell me it has rod bearing failure? give me a break
you might want to get that checked out..

passing is offline   Tanzania
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #35
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,474
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3
my 2013 with 1300 miles on it that i have just gotten the break in service of, does the clicking sound from the second video......now you guys are gonna tell me it has rod bearing failure? give me a break
Wait for it to throw a code and then take it in. Or get limp mode is best and flatbedded in.
ES_TRADER is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #36
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,302
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
How about the blown engines that arent reported because their owners were asked or dont post on the foruns? There are by far more N55's on the road than the S65 yet there more documented cases of blown s65's.

I know of another case on bimmerfest that was reported only because BMW NA denied warranty on a blown engine and accused the good Dr of overreving his DCT causing the engine failure.
Most people sign the BMW release, get a new engine and keep quiet. The low production s65 has more catastrophic engine failures than the N54 .


Could you post a link to that case?

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #37
MRSSIIM3
General
 
MRSSIIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,195
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Wait for it to throw a code and then take it in. Or get limp mode is best and flatbedded in.
this is a joke right?
__________________
Current: 2013 E92 M3, SSII, Black extended, ZCP, fully loaded
Mods: Black Hood Vents, Black Grilles, Black Side Grilles, Lux H8 v. 4.0, CF Mirrors, CF Spoiler, Black ///M Emblem, Evolve Tune, Dinan CF Intake, Dinan Pulley, Akrapovic GT4
Retired: 2011.5 E92 M3, SSII
MRSSIIM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
ES_TRADER
Colonel
 
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 2,474
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [5.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [4.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [5.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSIIM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Wait for it to throw a code and then take it in. Or get limp mode is best and flatbedded in.
this is a joke right?
Basically when u go in and complain about noises, dealers aren't going to do shit. Your car will sit around for the whole crew to test drive and then they come back and tell u it's normal or nothing is wrong, unless a code is thrown. When u come in on a flatbed because of limp mode or just cause, that tells them you're serious. That's what I meant by it. But I doubt ur car gonna have issues that early.
ES_TRADER is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #39
RenoE92M3
Private
 
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Reno/Tahoe

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

I'm still waiting on my motor to be delivered from germany FYI.
RenoE92M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
[/b]

Could you post a link to that case?

.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=439844

"BMW has shown me that it is a classless operation...the ultimate nightmare." From the physician.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #41
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

A 3 year old post. Wow.



Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=439844

"BMW has shown me that it is a classless operation...the ultimate nightmare." From the physician.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
A 3 year old post. Wow.
I'm sorry, you dont see those 2010 M3's much anymore.
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #43
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Point exactly! You do not see 3 month old 2010's anymore. Delete your browsing history.



Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
I'm sorry, you dont see those 2010 M3's much anymore.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #44
US///M3
Major
 
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shanghai, People's Republic of China

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Point exactly! You do not see 3 month old 2010's anymore. Delete your browsing history.
How old are you?
__________________
BMW R1200RT
All purpose, No pretense.

I'm back.
US///M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST