BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
M3GTC
Private First Class
6
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Hey guys i recently installed macht schnell test pipes and paired it with my meisterschaft x pipe and muffler for a full exhaust system. It sounds awesome and the gains are good but its just WAY TOO LOUD

For example every time I go to the mall i set off at least 4 car alarms in the parking structure...kinda annoying

Im looking to get another x pipe that has resonators so something that isn't so loud

open to any x pipe suggestions, hopefully it will be a bit more quiet

thanks in advance

EDIT: went with gintani quad resonated x pipe...wow big difference not only quieter but a more refined tone and less vibrations
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Dinan and Borla are the two quad resonated options. You can also add resonators to your x-pipe. I added four to my aftermarket x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
stylin8o8
Private
United_States
1
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

test pipes are all well and good why didnt you just op for the Akra Evo X pipe?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Superfly_M3
Captain
18
Rep
964
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I would like to know which one is the quietest.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Gintani also has quad resonated X-Pipe, but in 100% honesty the stock X-Pipe w/ the Test Pipes is gonna be the quietest X setup. Chances are to quiet it down, you're gonna have to go to a less aggressive muffler section.


Challenge X-Pipe is also really popular, you can get it with sport cats & resonators which will also quiet it down, but you'll lose some power since you won't be fully catless.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Beemw335
Colonel
29
Rep
2,016
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

iTrader: (2)

Id say trade axle backs with soneone local.
Try a remus sport or wtv....so ething quieter
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
MikeE92M3
Captain
MikeE92M3's Avatar
10
Rep
625
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (5)

I added 4 Aero AR25 resonators to an x pipe that I had a muffler shop create for me. I have a custom magnaflow muffler set up and turner test pipes. Sounds pretty good, and when I am cruising, it is only slightly louder than when I had the stock cats.
__________________
2008 (07/08) E92 M3 BPM Stage II Tuned by Mike Benvo, 6MT, Turner Test Pipes, Magnaflow Custom Catback Exhaust (Magnaflow X Pipe, secondary cat delete, Aero Resonators and Helmholtz Chambers),Vorsteiner CF Lip, Hamann Style CF rear diffuser, CF Rear Decklid Spoiler, BMW Performance Kidney Grills, CF Side Grills, OEM GTS Wheels, K&N Drop-In Filter, GP Thunder 8k Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #8
M3GTC
Private First Class
6
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335
Id say trade axle backs with soneone local.
Try a remus sport or wtv....so ething quieter
Na my axel back was a bit pricey to just trade
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
09GT
Private First Class
4
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: GT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Has anyone every done test-pipes and resonator delete on the stock x-pipe, with stock muffler?

I couldn't find any sound clips, but full aftermarket x-pipes with stock exhaust seem to sound good.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
61
Rep
2,633
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GTC View Post
Hey guys i recently installed macht schnell test pipes and paired it with my meisterschaft x pipe and muffler for a full exhaust system. It sounds awesome and the gains are good but its just WAY TOO LOUD

For example every time I go to the mall i set off at least 4 car alarms in the parking structure...kinda annoying

Im looking to get another x pipe that has resonators so something that isn't so loud

open to any x pipe suggestions, hopefully it will be a bit more quiet

thanks in advance
No X Pipe is going to be quieter than a test pipe setup. (Turner, ACM, Macht Schnell) Remember that they retain the 2 stock resonators and 2 200 cell secondary cats.

Oh, sorry, I see that you paired it with the Miestershaft X pipe. I would just get a stock x pipe and hack it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
L4ces
Captain
L4ces's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
705
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09GT View Post
Has anyone every done test-pipes and resonator delete on the stock x-pipe, with stock muffler?

I couldn't find any sound clips, but full aftermarket x-pipes with stock exhaust seem to sound good.
Extremely raspy and unrefined in my opinion, but there are folks that like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,246
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

iTrader: (0)

OEM MOD with no secondary cat / resonator in the middle. Loud and raspy as hell already.
Can't imagine without primary cats as well.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
maesd74
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan comp package
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylin8o8
test pipes are all well and good why didnt you just op for the Akra Evo X pipe?
Most likely because test pipes perform virtually the same and have virtually the same gains as an aftermarket catless x-pipe for at least a third of the cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Do you have any dynos that show the secondary cats pose no restriction? I agree on the bang for the buck part, but not on the perform virtually the same part. While a pair of 400 cell cats plus a pair of 200 cell secondary cats are a greater restriction than just a pair of 200 cell cats, a pair of 200 cell secondary cats is still a restriction.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb
Do you have any dynos that show the secondary cats pose no restriction? I agree on the bang for the buck part, but not on the perform virtually the same part. While a pair of 400 cell cats plus a pair of 200 cell secondary cats are a greater restriction than just a pair of 200 cell cats, a pair of 200 cell secondary cats is still a restriction.
Agreed.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
ms372
White Shark
ms372's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
911
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

do you have a gt2 or gt? im running challenge sport x-pipe with the gt2, even with secondary race cats and resonators its extremely loud. the moment you take out ur primary its going to be loud no matter what x-pipe you use. if you want something quieter u will have to change muffler.
__________________
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
kitw
Colonel
kitw's Avatar
61
Rep
2,633
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 MW M3/2014 Boxster S
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Do you have any dynos that show the secondary cats pose no restriction? I agree on the bang for the buck part, but not on the perform virtually the same part. While a pair of 400 cell cats plus a pair of 200 cell secondary cats are a greater restriction than just a pair of 200 cell cats, a pair of 200 cell secondary cats is still a restriction.

On an NA application, secondary cats vs Akrapovic Evo vs catless, I had a total horsepower variance of less than 9 horsepower. I'm happy to give up 2% power to not stink as badly.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
Mmmdreamer
Lieutenant
Mmmdreamer's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
542
Posts

 
Drives: 08 e90 M3 Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jersey City

iTrader: (1)

I'd go back to stock x-pipe, see how that sounds. If that's still too loud then yes - go to a quieter axle back. Power gain is from primary cat removal rather than secondary cats.

I've got a Dinan axle back w/ test pipes...sounds awesome...quiet when I want it to be, loud when I want it to be
__________________
[08 e90 M3. Jet Black/Black. Dinan Rear Exhaust. ACM Test Pipes. ESS Tune. Eibach Pro-Kit + e36 bumpstops. 18x10 Apex Arc-8. AA Air Filter. RPI Scoops. CREE Angel Eyes. OEM Blacklines. Black Reflectors. Gloss Black Grills. Matte Black Gills. ZCP Shift Knob]
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
Jizmain
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Just keep the full OEM exhaust but replace the first cats with straight pipes. Sounds good but not too loud, best power gains. Oh yeah, also cheap if you know a good welder.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
M3GTC
Private First Class
6
Rep
141
Posts

 
Drives: BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372
do you have a gt2 or gt? im running challenge sport x-pipe with the gt2, even with secondary race cats and resonators its extremely loud. the moment you take out ur primary its going to be loud no matter what x-pipe you use. if you want something quieter u will have to change muffler.
I have gtc and it's loud either way. I ended up going with gintani quad res and it sounds way better much more refined
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:55 AM   #21
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,803
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
On an NA application, secondary cats vs Akrapovic Evo vs catless, I had a total horsepower variance of less than 9 horsepower. I'm happy to give up 2% power to not stink as badly.
I would have estimated 5-10 rwhp for the secondary cats and 10-15 rwhp for the primary cats, so your results seem right to me. Were I trying to maximize power, though, I would want all of potential gain, not two thirds of it. The small gains may not seem like much, but they all add up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
MRM55
Private First Class
MRM55's Avatar
1
Rep
185
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
No X Pipe is going to be quieter than a test pipe setup. (Turner, ACM, Macht Schnell) Remember that they retain the 2 stock resonators and 2 200 cell secondary cats.

Oh, sorry, I see that you paired it with the Miestershaft X pipe. I would just get a stock x pipe and hack it up.
KITW is back!! good to see the exhaust master chiming in!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
exhaust, meisterschaft, test pipes, x pipe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST