BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Julio Perez
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Springs

Hey guys I've been wanting to put springs on my car but I'm concerned that if something happens to the car the warranty won't cover it since I've installed after market springs. Anyone delt with this before ?

Last edited by Julio Perez; 01-01-2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
positiveions's Avatar
Lebanon
114
Rep
10,529
Posts

 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Take it to a dealer that is tuner friendly. Find out from locals in Florida regarding dealer names.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
642
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

It may void the warranty for things related to the springs, but it won't void the warrant my for things unrelated, such as if the engine blows up.
__________________
2011 E93 - Space Gray - 6MT/Silver Novillo/
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
It may void the warranty for things related to the springs, but it won't void the warrant my for things unrelated, such as if the engine blows up.
+1.. OP, if suspension warranty coverage is a priority, then don't do it.
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
225
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Perez View Post
Hey guys I've been wanting to put springs on my car but I'm concerned that if something happens to the car the warranty won't cover it since I've installed after market springs. Anyone delt with this before ?
Yes, the only parts that your warranty will not cover will be suspension related issues. Now, if you get a quality set of springs which are installed by a professional shop, there's little to nothing to worry about.

Also, over time your OEM dampers/struts will wear out because your modified Springs will be making them work twice as hard. I've heard up to 30k miles from when you install the springs. If you track the car, it would be sooner.

If you haven't, you should also do a search on Springs on this forum to read about Pros/Cons before you do it. There are a lot of good Stickies in the Suspension section.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
RingMeister01
Croatian
RingMeister01's Avatar
United_States
51
Rep
2,587
Posts

 
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thank for the advise!
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / Fiat 500 (daily)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Dave07997S
Colonel
38
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
Yes, the only parts that your warranty will not cover will be suspension related issues. Now, if you get a quality set of springs which are installed by a professional shop, there's little to nothing to worry about.

Also, over time your OEM dampers/struts will wear out because your modified Springs will be making them work twice as hard. I've heard up to 30k miles from when you install the springs. If you track the car, it would be sooner.

If you haven't, you should also do a search on Springs on this forum to read about Pros/Cons before you do it. There are a lot of good Stickies in the Suspension section.

This depends on how low the springs lower the car. You do something mild like a Eibach Prokit which doesn't even lower the car 1", even less on a ZCP car this won't be an issue. You lower the car more than an inch you now are going to have this issue.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Class-of-2013
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
225
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Driver's Seat

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
This depends on how low the springs lower the car. You do something mild like a Eibach Prokit which doesn't even lower the car 1", even less on a ZCP car this won't be an issue. You lower the car more than an inch you now are going to have this issue.

Dave
True, Eibach is less likely, but it still will not last as long as OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
edwinm3
Colonel
edwinm3's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
2,121
Posts

 
Drives: E92 MELBOURNE RED M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Doral

iTrader: (10)

Mine is on eibachs the work perfect, mild drop and feel pretty good on the street/ramps and also on the track. They feel awesome at sebring and this track has a lot of bumps
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST