BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Adjusted KW sleeve-overs

I finally got the height dialed in with my KW sleeve-overs. I'm pleased with the look but I'm still struggling with the shaking and vibration in the steering wheel. I will have another alignment done this Saturday by BMW. It looks like there was too much negative camber combined with uneven/bumpy surface on the inside of the tires. I'm assuming that this is what's causing the vibration at higher speeds. It is a process of elimination. If this does not fix it I'm officially out of ideas.

Here are some pics of the stance. Now lets fix the drivability, at least until I can get to EAS for some actual coilovers and a top notch alignment that works...
Attached Images

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
ThatGuyMikee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e90 6spd

maybe you knocked off a wheel weight putting the rims back on? try etting the front rims rebalanced and try that out first, how bad of condition re the front tires?

Some people buy cars to look at them and call them their babies, but not me. This car is my bitch and I bought it to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyMikee View Post
maybe you knocked off a wheel weight putting the rims back on? try etting the front rims rebalanced and try that out first, how bad of condition re the front tires?
I had the wheels rebalanced but it did not change anything. I also removed the spacers which did not help either.

Looking at the tires it seems that only the inside of the tires are worn/uneven. That's why I'm assuming that the current alignment is having too much negative camber. It could be that the inside of the tires has been bad all along but was not an issue until the alignment. The shaking/vibration started the same day I had the suspension/alignment done.

This is the only thing I can think of right now.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Ervin87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | B5 S4 | E30

Looks great. What size spacers are you running front and rear?

How do you like the ride with the KW's?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Looks great. What size spacers are you running front and rear?

How do you like the ride with the KW's?

I'm running H&R Wheel Spacers (15 & 12 F/R)

In regards to the ride, I don't like it. This has mainly to do with the fact that the suspension was not setup properly to begin with. I have been struggling with the KWs since I had them installed. I have been dealing with steering wheel shaking/vibration since day one. I'm hoping that another alignment this weekend might solve this issue.

A lot of other users have nothing but good things to say about this setup. Unfortunately for me, the drivability of the car have gone down the tubes sine the install. Maybe I'm just having bad luck.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
I'm running H&R Wheel Spacers (15 & 12 F/R)

In regards to the ride, I don't like it. This has mainly to do with the fact that the suspension was not setup properly to begin with. I have been struggling with the KWs since I had them installed. I have been dealing with steering wheel shaking/vibration since day one. I'm hoping that another alignment this weekend might solve this issue.

A lot of other users have nothing but good things to say about this setup. Unfortunately for me, the drivability of the car have gone down the tubes sine the install. Maybe I'm just having bad luck.
If you took off spacers did the rebalance on the wheel and your car is shaking then its not your alignment or your wheel balance; you got a shitty install. If I were you, i'd take it to another reputable shop and have them take it out and reinstall it. You kind of answered your own question, "the suspension was not setup properly to begin with." you have sleeve overs which means the only adjustment is the collars to adjust your height. Even at that point things shouldn't shake.
      12-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
If you took off spacers did the rebalance on the wheel and your car is shaking then its not your alignment or your wheel balance; you got a shitty install. If I were you, i'd take it to another reputable shop and have them take it out and reinstall it. You kind of answered your own question, "the suspension was not setup properly to begin with." you have sleeve overs which means the only adjustment is the collars to adjust your height. Even at that point things shouldn't shake.
The problem right now is that I'm too far away from any reputable M3 suspension expert. EAS is over 12 hours away. I'm stuck dealing with the local BMW dealership which is an absolute nightmare. I feel that I'm going to loose money fast doing the process of elimination. They are talking about changing the tires at roughly $400 a piece as a solution.

At this point I'm looking at various options. Leaving things alone for now and plan a trip to EAS and have a real Coilover installed with a proper setup and alignment. Then at the same time, what if there is something else going on? Out of frustration I have even contemplating getting rid of the M3 as it is not a pleasure to drive right now.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
The problem right now is that I'm too far away from any reputable M3 suspension expert. EAS is over 12 hours away. I'm stuck dealing with the local BMW dealership which is an absolute nightmare. I feel that I'm going to loose money fast doing the process of elimination. They are talking about changing the tires at roughly $400 a piece as a solution.

At this point I'm looking at various options. Leaving things alone for now and plan a trip to EAS and have a real Coilover installed with a proper setup and alignment. Then at the same time, what if there is something else going on? Out of frustration I have even contemplating getting rid of the M3 as it is not a pleasure to drive right now.
I can understand the frustration and the insecurity of thinking the worst situation possible but relax, take it from the start. If you car didn't shake before the sleeve overs then it makes the most sense to start your investigation from that point forward. BMW is a great automotive company, if there was a problem with vibrations and tire wear because of terrible R&D from BMW's part, you'd hear about it by now.

That being said EAS is one of my favorite shops to go to. They work very thoroughly and one thing I've come to understand from personal and work experiences is that a shop is extremely hard to keep clean, well organized, and well sorted; it tells you the type of work they do. If you have the time, EAS wont disapoint and they will do it right the first time.

however, 12 hours of a drive a little rediculous. why don't you post in the regional section and try to see if there is something closer?
      01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I run the KW sleeve kit all the way down (okay, couple turns up in the rear). You don't have too much camber. I pulled the pins to add more camber and I am still only at roughly -2.0 degrees. Your funny tire wear has to be from another alignment issue, like toe probably. The sleeve kit is not causing the vibration. The install is nearly fool proof and a bad install would manifest itself as a clunk or pop, not a vibration. I also run spacers (5mm all around) and had a vibration. A road force balance almost entirely eliminated it.
      01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Tufosi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 DCT

looks great... that is exactly the drop that I want. Hopefully you get the vibration issue fixed... how old are your tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
M3CRUZN
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Maximum drop?...looks awesome in those oem wheels...hopefully u can fix the problem...
      01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally had my M3 serviced at BMW. They re-balanced the wheels and performed a new alignment to dial everything in.

I took the M3 on the freeway to see the results. The strong vibrations, I'm glad to report, are gone...

I assume there was a combination of issues that caused the bad vibration (wheel balance, alignment, and uneven suspension height).

In regards to the height of the suspension. The M3 was sitting uneven when I initially had the rear suspension dialed in using the collar height. I talked to KW and they told me to adjust the height using the "Wheel Hub to Fender edge" measurement as a guide. When I initially had the suspension dialed in equal on both sides (using the collar measurement) the height was off left vs right. KW told me that some M3s sit different than others so you can't rely blindly on adjusting the suspension height (using the collars as a guide) but instead measure the height from the wheel to the fender.

We adjusted the height until we had an equal distance on both sides. Ground to fender measurement at the rear was 26" at the end.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
ortho281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Finally had my M3 serviced at BMW. They re-balanced the wheels and performed a new alignment to dial everything in.

I took the M3 on the freeway to see the results. The strong vibrations, I'm glad to report, are gone...

I assume there was a combination of issues that caused the bad vibration (wheel balance, alignment, and uneven suspension height).

In regards to the height of the suspension. The M3 was sitting uneven when I initially had the rear suspension dialed in using the collar height. I talked to KW and they told me to adjust the height using the "Wheel Hub to Fender edge" measurement as a guide. When I initially had the suspension dialed in equal on both sides (using the collar measurement) the height was off left vs right. KW told me that some M3s sit different than others so you can't rely blindly on adjusting the suspension height (using the collars as a guide) but instead measure the height from the wheel to the fender.

We adjusted the height until we had an equal distance on both sides. Ground to fender measurement at the rear was 26" at the end.
I choose to corner-balance to adjust ride-height instead. My rear ground to fender measurement was 25.75" (front 25.6") at max lowering with corner-balancing. Both front and rear have settled another 0.25" since then.
Attached Images

Akra GT4 / MS Stage 2 / MS UDP / BPM Tune / KW CS / H&R Sways / TMS Delrin / ST 380/355 BBK / Cantrell 2.5" Ducts / SR34 Pads / Apex Arc-8 / Hoosier R7's / Mode GT4 Splitter / GT4 Canards / APR GT-250 Wing / Cantrell Half Cage / Recaro Pro Racer / Schroth Profi II-6 / BMW Alcantera Wheel / Cool Shirt / ESS Fire Supp / Solo DL
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
jszed
Registered
Rep
Drives: '10 M3, '03 Z4 2.5i, '02 X5

Sorry to semi ressurect a thread, but how has the ride been like since you have fixed your vibration issue/worn in the suspension? I am in the market for KW sleeves and doing as much research I can before purchasing. I have read plenty of positive things about this set up, but I just want to make sure yours turned out alright.

Great looking car by the way!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
E92skup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw M3

I'm planning to get these soon needed some reviews on them tbh the ground controls I have aren't the best toward ride quality!
Appreciate 0