BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EclipsisNA

12-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #23
m3buckeye
will bring some beers

Drives: C63 AMG, e93, Yukon XL

My wife has the "unfavorable driving profile" in the e93 along with the seemingly "always on" iPod in the armrest. She would get the "battery drain" warning message with the jack icon, and even rec'd the "increased emissions" error.

Battery Tender or the Battery Tender Jr. will do the trick. Once a week overnight and even every two weeks will do it, and it made all of the above errors go away. The lighter is not powered, so forget that option - use the alligator clips under the hood on the red terminal and on the bolt to the left and front of that. Guy with the "hood up" reminder is right so you don't pull out with your junk attached.
m3buckeye is offline   United_States
      12-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
BMWrules7
Major

Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAIM3
I don't drive my car that frequently (live in the city and do not drive to work or anywhere on a regular basis), and ended up buying the BMW branded battery tender.

I opted for the version that plugs into the cigarette lighter, as that seemed a bit less conspicuous than having my hood cracked. I park in my condo's garage and would rather not attract any attention.

I was easily able to close the door securely with the cord running through it. Will doing this long term be bad for the rubber door seal?

Thanks for the info!
Just keep in mind that your car typically runs off of a battery and its generator. These sources provide a nice clean DC power to your highly sophisticated vehicle.

Now, be careful with some battery chargers as they may not be as clean as you might expect when converting your house power AC 110v (for example) to your car's 12 volt DC.

So, don't go cheap in this area.
      12-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
beermeister kink
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2013 e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Sure, it's just a matter of crimping on battery terminals.

Here's a cheap version that will also work: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...NTAINER/1.html
Thanks Tom! I just got my e93 and had meant to look up whether or not this charger would work. Oh hey here's a quick question - do you think I could use the BMW charger that I used with the e46 on my e93, using this thing? It's like 4 bucks: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ6513#t2

Too bad about the lighter socket though as it was pretty awesome to just plug it in that way.

I kept my 03 m3 in a garage in nyc for years and didn't drive it much. I put a soft cover on it and left the window cracked a bit for the wire. That way I didn't have to wonder about the door insulation or the cable getting mashed.

Now I suppose I'll grab an adapter - will that one work? Thanks again.

Last edited by beermeister kink; 12-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.
      12-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beermeister kink View Post
Thanks Tom! I just got my e93 and had meant to look up whether or not this charger would work. Oh hey here's a quick question - do you think I could use the BMW charger that I used with the e46 on my e93, using this thing? It's like 4 bucks: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ6513#t2

Too bad about the lighter socket though as it was pretty awesome to just plug it in that way.

I kept my 03 m3 in a garage in nyc for years and didn't drive it much. I put a soft cover on it and left the window cracked a bit for the wire. That way I didn't have to wonder about the door insulation or the cable getting mashed.

Now I suppose I'll grab an adapter - will that one work? Thanks again.
That will definitely work!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .

Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

If you're in the market for a charger, I highly recommend the BatteryMINDER 2012, $80 USD at Northern Tool if you are looking for a supplier. Works great as a trickle charger to keep a battery topped up, but pretty much any $25 charger will do that.

It has a temp sensor and microcontroller to charge and maintain batteries appropriately for their particular condition. It also has a "desulfating" function -- like I know what the hell that is -- that really seems to be different from other chargers. I've restored old batteries that would recharge fine off a high-amp charger, but then be undervolt/low amp a day later. Put them on the 2012 for a week, and returned them to regular duty, no problem.

BatteryMINDER also sells a variety of connecting terminals and pigtails with quick-connects that are compatible with the charger, so even if you're not handy, you can wire up a clean and convenient connection alternative.

The company makes some cheaper chargers; I don't have any experience with those. I'm happy with the 2012 in particular, though. Other than our daily drivers, I'm keeping 3 more cars and a built-in generator going with this one charger. I don't have to "trickle charge" them all the time. A couple of times a year, I give them a week on the charge and desulfate function, and they just keep on working like they're supposed to.

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 12-28-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
WarrantyTracker is offline   United_States
      12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #28
JAIM3
Private

Drives: AW E92 M3

Thanks for all of the replies and comments. I spoke with the dealership, and they promptly got the correct one to me, and I returned the tender with the lighter attachment.

As far as my desire to be inconspicuous, I don't think it will be a huge issue. I pull straight-in now (as opposed to backing in).

I have been leaving the hood slightly cracked, as that is what the instructions recommend. The seal is pretty tight when the hood is closed the whole way. Any thoughts on why the instructions recommend keeping the hood cracked? Heat?

Thanks again!
      12-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
mot
Banned

Drives: e92 AW M3 6MT

So...what's a good one?

This one seems to have really good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...sim_sbs_auto_2
mot is offline   United_States
      12-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
ploo
lover of all things car

Drives: AW '09 E92 M3, SG '09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
So...what's a good one?

This one seems to have really good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...sim_sbs_auto_2
I think the ones by Battery Tender and CTEK are consistently well-regarded; for example, I know the Porsche-branded trickle charger is made by CTEK.

Found out about "unfavorable driving profiles" the hard way when my battery failed last year, after only 3 years in service and 17K miles. My SA was extremely apologetic as it's a very common situation and clients take it out on him when they find out the battery is not covered under warranty, with a replacement and coding cost of just under $400.

I wrote a letter to BMWNA but of no avail. My issue was that nowhere in the owner's manual does it say that this type of driving behavior will damage the battery and void the warranty. Had I known, I would have started charging the battery overnight once a week. Without warning in the manual and with my car being driven daily, I think it violates the spirit of the warranty to deny the battery claim.

I know there are dealerships out there that are able to work the system to warranty the battery in this situation, but mine couldn't. Hope this post saves someone out there from a similar situation. Cheers!