BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Straight Razors....

Something I've been looking to get into but have no clue where to start. I'm must looking for a simpler starter razor to see if I like it before I go out and spend a few hundred bucks on everything needed. Just wondering if anyone here can recommend any particular brands or good websites where to buy to start.....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Low Gravity
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i, 135i, s52 325is

Don't know much about straight razors, but this website may help http://www.theartofshaving.com
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Badger and Blade's forum should help. I use a dual edge safety razor, they're great for getting a better shave than the modern crap, but not peeling your face.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Badger and Blade's forum should help. I use a dual edge safety razor, they're great for getting a better shave than the modern crap, but not peeling your face.
I agree. I have a few straights but the learning curve can be bloody. Start with a safety razor and once your face gets use to that step up to the straight. You will be able to find a lot of guys letting blades go for a pretty good price on Badger and Blade.

The first time I used a Japanese straight I almost hit bone. Watch the youtube tutorials and figure out what works best for you. The way I look at it is I have to shave every day, it might as well be an enjoyable experience. Spring for a good aftershave balm, it is worth its weight in gold.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Whats the point other than maybe it being "cool"?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

+1 on the dual edge safety razor. The straight razors are just one slip from a serious situation. They are really more designed for someone to shave your face for you, not you doing it yourself. That is not to say you can't use one to shave with but a safety razor is pretty darn good and doesn't risk bleeding to death.

I personally use a Merkur Futur handle and Merkur blades. I have a badger brush and use Art of Shaving products. The sandalwood products are "panty droppers" according to my ex girlfriend too.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
mikes4
Private
Rep
Drives: none

I have a safety razor as well that I use when I've got both time and the need to shave, which honestly happens once in a blue moon. Even the safety razor takes considerably more time than using a cartridge type. I cant imagine the time and focus you would need for a straight edge.

That and I shudder to think of the damage you could do to your face with one careless stroke. When I first started using my safety razor there were a few times where there was seemingly no end to the bleeding. Unfathomably sharp.

Rockwell's comment about almost hitting bone made me cringe, mostly because I absolutely believe him.

Good luck though! Youtube has some tutorials if you are feeling froggy.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
On a DE? I dunno, $0.10 a blade that shaves me about 5 times is an incentive. Not to mention the superior results to those POS Gillette ripoffs.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For a DE razor, it's all about a better shave. Blades are cheap, last a week (I cheat and get two out of mine, but I have a beard, so I'm only shaving my cheeks and neck).

When I travel, I only carry on, so I have to take a Quattro or whatever (for some reason the TSA frowns on loose razor blades) and I'm always reminded of just how bad those things are, I have 5:00 shadow by noon.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When I have the time I will do what is called a "4 pass shave". It will keep me smooth for 2 days easy. It is the closest shave I have ever had, but it takes a fair bit of time. The only drawback to the straights, other than the potential to lose some blood, is that you have to hone them. IF you can't do it yourself you are sending your blade off every so often to get sharpened so you may need to have a backup or just go back to a safety razor while it is getting hooked up.

I'm not going to lie though, I originally started shaving with one just to say that I was and for a bit of nostalgia. You get hooked though once you realize that your 5 o'clock shadow doesn't show up until about 10 or 11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
When I have the time I will do what is called a "4 pass shave". It will keep me smooth for 2 days easy. It is the closest shave I have ever had, but it takes a fair bit of time. The only drawback to the straights, other than the potential to lose some blood, is that you have to hone them. IF you can't do it yourself you are sending your blade off every so often to get sharpened so you may need to have a backup or just go back to a safety razor while it is getting hooked up.

I'm not going to lie though, I originally started shaving with one just to say that I was and for a bit of nostalgia. You get hooked though once you realize that your 5 o'clock shadow doesn't show up until about 10 or 11 PM.
Hardcore purists have a set of seven blades.
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Thanks for the help everyone, I browsed those forums and got a safety razor and a straight to try out. We'll see how much blood loss ensues next week lol

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone, I browsed those forums and got a safety razor and a straight to try out. We'll see how much blood loss ensues next week lol
Ha, good luck! If it's not too late, pick up an alum block. They sell them at Art of Shaving if you have one nearby. You'll also probably want to get a decent shave creme and a brush at some point, but that can certainly wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I agree. I have a few straights but the learning curve can be bloody. Start with a safety razor and once your face gets use to that step up to the straight. You will be able to find a lot of guys letting blades go for a pretty good price on Badger and Blade.

The first time I used a Japanese straight I almost hit bone. Watch the youtube tutorials and figure out what works best for you. The way I look at it is I have to shave every day, it might as well be an enjoyable experience. Spring for a good aftershave balm, it is worth its weight in gold.
This doesn't help the cause of going to straight razors! It certainly keeps me from taking the plunge. The closest I'll get is using a brush to lather up before shaving. That and the fact that my gf isn't good about not barging into the bathroom while I'm shaving.
      12-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
Chest Rockwell
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Make sure you either take a shower or do a hot towel wrap prior to shavig for the first time. every time really. You want the hair to be soft and the pores to be open. I don't do the hot towel all the time, but when I do it makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0