BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
72

 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Ohlin R/T, JRZ RS1 or Nitron R1s?

Guys I need help. Im planning on getting a new suspension kit this coming spring season. I know the quality of the JRZ R1s from reading all the great reviews. And the Ohlins sound like the perfect street set up but not the best for track.

I emailed Steve at VacMotorsports and He said the Nitron R1s are "Pro Grade" Technology. He also said that they run them in there race cars and think they are better than the TCK DAs. For $2600 they sound like a pretty good deal. They are also single know double adjustable which i prefer.

Any one know anything about Nitron R1s? Are they quality kits?

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/nitr...-1m-p2804.aspx

TIA!
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.


Last edited by Wendall; 12-19-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

From my understanding, Nitro is a serious coilover kit. Most if not all of the Lotus guys run Nitron.

I'd love to know the answer to this, as you have picked exactly the three choices I was looking into as well.

I also noticed that Nitron come as full coilovers, both front and rear...might just be the pictures misleading though, but it seems the UK guys love them

Last edited by italyix; 12-20-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
highlandsM3
New Member
Australia
0

 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe - Jarez Black 6MT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Car South AUS - Me Hides PNG


Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

They are top shelf for quality.

from http://www.simplysportscars.com/inde...emart&Itemid=1

"NITRON AND LOTUS
Nitron are proud to announce that they have been appointed the official upgrade dampers for the new Lotus Exige V6 race cars, displacing tough international competition."


Im currently trying to decide between the Nitron R3 setup or PSi Ohlins setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Beedub
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
81

 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M roadster vt2-500
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

ive spent lots of time @ nitron HQ here in the UK when i wanted them to build me a z4m setup (i went with kw CS in the end due to needing the seperate barrel spring) and i was blown AWAY!!! Very very serious stuff, and the quality is imo second to none.
__________________
Pristine Bi-colour Ti /Bsm...z4m roadster Ess vt2-500....Perfection on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
72

 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Great feedback. Seems like Nitrons are very highend and I would like to try them just because not many people in the US have them.

Now, my only concern is finding out if VAC motorsports is a authorized service center for Nitron. I would only buy if there is a local (USA) service center since I don't want to have to ship my shocks to the UK for servicing.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
marktapscott
Registered
0

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oxford


Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Great feedback. Seems like Nitrons are very highend and I would like to try them just because not many people in the US have them.

Now, my only concern is finding out if VAC motorsports is a authorized service center for Nitron. I would only buy if there is a local (USA) service center since I don't want to have to ship my shocks to the UK for servicing.
Hi there,

Quick introduction - Mark from Nitron (UK). I lurk around here as I drive an E46 M3 and its great place for inspiration!

Just wanted to note that Nitron do indeed have several service centres in the US. We intend on establishing a Nitron North America for this exact reason you point out - to support our US dealers, improve delivery times and establish local full factory support and servicing facilities.

Until that happens, there are two primary and official service centres East/West coast. I do not want to be seen promoting so I will allow those interested to contact their dealers for further details.

PS - We plan to improve upon our European race wins and our BMW Nurburgring lap record again this year with the F10 / E9X platforms....

Hope that helps - Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
72

 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktapscott View Post
Hi there,

Quick introduction - Mark from Nitron (UK). I lurk around here as I drive an E46 M3 and its great place for inspiration!

Just wanted to note that Nitron do indeed have several service centres in the US. We intend on establishing a Nitron North America for this exact reason you point out - to support our US dealers, improve delivery times and establish local full factory support and servicing facilities.

Until that happens, there are two primary and official service centres East/West coast. I do not want to be seen promoting so I will allow those interested to contact their dealers for further details.

PS - We plan to improve upon our European race wins and our BMW Nurburgring lap record again this year with the F10 / E9X platforms....

Hope that helps - Thanks!

Mark, I am very glad that you decided to post! Can you tell me store address of the West coast service center?
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Can you tell me store address of the West coast service center?
Interested as well, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
flipm3
E46 + E90
Philippines
61

 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois


Posts: 2,781
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Mark, I am very glad that you decided to post! Can you tell me store address of the West coast service center?
Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Interested as well, thanks!
I quickly hopped onto their UK site and it looks like Sector 111 is located in CA, although seems to specialize in Lotus.

Then there is VAC Motorsports in PA, that obviously specializes in BMW.

They all seem to be dealers, so not sure if the service centers are different.
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
I quickly hopped onto their UK site and it looks like Sector 111 is located in CA, although seems to specialize in Lotus.

Then there is VAC Motorsports in PA, that obviously specializes in BMW.

They all seem to be dealers, so not sure if the service centers are different.
Flip, ty

I researched these a bit more today and noticed VAC also offers them as a true coil over, rear wise.

I also could not find anything relating to the E90 platform as having the dreaded subframe issue the E46 had. Am I correct to assume we can safely and reliably run a coil over in the rear instead of the oem setup?

Perhaps VAC can chime in...

If so, I'm pulling hte trigger on the R1S+ come next year...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
chuxdelux
Captain
12

 
Drives: 2005 e46 m3, 2013 Jetta TDI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Honolulu,HI


Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

I talked to the guys at VAC a couple of months ago at length about the Nitron R3s. They had nothing but good things to say about this suspension. I will be pulling the trigger on these after the new year. Maybe we should get group buy going.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #12
marktapscott
Registered
0

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oxford


Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Hi All,

Coming from the UK and understanding very clearly the issues of 'advertising' on forums, I am afraid I will have to refrain from mentioning any businesses in my post here.....

I would like to maintain my position as a technical factory resource for fitting/setup advice etc and avoid sales entirely. - I can do this as we already have a great BMW partner (some of you have already had contact with them) that will be able to answer your commercial questions. I hope you appreciate my stance on this.

Of course, when the time is right; I anticipate Nitron achieving 'advertiser' status on the forum.

The technical.....

As mentioned, I have an E46 M3 - which also means I have the rear subframe cracks! Infact, they have just started to appear following a heavy UK track day to compound this problem. I look forward to a weekend of welding reinforcements in January!

I run coilover rears with a relatively stiff spring rate (Track day rates), every day.

Rear coilovers -

Advice is really dependent on expected use. The 'issue' of running a coilover rear-setup without a rear roll-cage is of course that the turrets are not designed to cope with both damping and resultant spring forces. By considering both the spring rate used and (significantly) the weight of the vehicle we/you can judge what is appropriate. If you plan to ride 5-up, with luggage around the Nurburgring - then we would of course recommend that the car is either a non-coilover or the rear-turrets are reinforced - no matter which platform you have.

The E46 is known for having well constructed turrets (if not the subframe!), as is the case with the E9X. Nitron would not naturally recommend running stiff rear coil-overs on an E36 that has not been reinforced.

When running slicks - again, the advice would be to reinforce.

Having said all that; we know of many customers in Europe running coilover rear setups in M's without reinforcement or issue for many years.

A point worth making is that Nitron kits are all hand built to order and specification. As such we can create 'hybrid' kits that comprise of solid front top plates (camber/castor adjustable) with the rear as either a separate system or coilover. Further to that, the rear damper can be specified to either mate with the OE rubber top mounts (for mainly street driving) or with a full race bearing top mount. Both have their pros/cons, however I personally mated my rear shocks to a new set of rubber OE mounts. This results in mainting OE NVH and adding an extra level of compliance without sacrificing track performance dramatically. Of course, serious track cars and race cars will benefit from the spherical bearing mounts considerably.

As mentioned; our US BMW distributor is well worth contacting directly as they have a wealth of knowledge and have been running Nitron on their own cars for some time.

Hope that helps in some way?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #13
M3SQRD
Colonel
United_States
25

 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC


Posts: 2,479
iTrader: (2)

Another damper to consider is the MCS SA non-remote damper. I'm not sure if MCS has released the e9x M3 SA version yet (I believe both e36 and e46 M3 SA dampers have been released) - if not, it should be released soon. Its price is ~$150 more than the RS1 damper...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #14
Skyarb
New Member
0

 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: EU


Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

I recommend Nitron. I use them for 5 months, and I'm very happy. It's hard to compare to Ohlins Road and Track, as I've never tested Ohlins.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

Marktapscott, thank you for your explanation and keeping the thread strictly technical.

When you mention running stiff spring rates in the rear as a coil over unit, can you define what stiff means to you? 500lb? 800lb? Also, how are motion ratios affected (if at all seeing how pivot points are unaltered) by running a coilover in the rear? I think the oem rear set up ration is something like .5 to 1. If the motion ratio changes by changing the coiover set up, could we then run softer (or stiffer depending on the change) rear springs? thus saving the rear towers from added stress?

Just looking into all the scenarios as I would like to run a coil over in the rear if I can, without having to worry about cracks in the towers. Can has 62k highway miles, so not hard miles at all.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just read: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339168 which explains suspension types. I will be going rear coil over to solve the motion ratio and spring rate issues.

Last edited by italyix; 12-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
e679
Private First Class
Hong Kong
2

 
e679's Avatar
 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktapscott View Post
Hi All,

Coming from the UK and understanding very clearly the issues of 'advertising' on forums, I am afraid I will have to refrain from mentioning any businesses in my post here.....

I would like to maintain my position as a technical factory resource for fitting/setup advice etc and avoid sales entirely. - I can do this as we already have a great BMW partner (some of you have already had contact with them) that will be able to answer your commercial questions. I hope you appreciate my stance on this.

Of course, when the time is right; I anticipate Nitron achieving 'advertiser' status on the forum.

The technical.....

As mentioned, I have an E46 M3 - which also means I have the rear subframe cracks! Infact, they have just started to appear following a heavy UK track day to compound this problem. I look forward to a weekend of welding reinforcements in January!

I run coilover rears with a relatively stiff spring rate (Track day rates), every day.

Rear coilovers -

Advice is really dependent on expected use. The 'issue' of running a coilover rear-setup without a rear roll-cage is of course that the turrets are not designed to cope with both damping and resultant spring forces. By considering both the spring rate used and (significantly) the weight of the vehicle we/you can judge what is appropriate. If you plan to ride 5-up, with luggage around the Nurburgring - then we would of course recommend that the car is either a non-coilover or the rear-turrets are reinforced - no matter which platform you have.

The E46 is known for having well constructed turrets (if not the subframe!), as is the case with the E9X. Nitron would not naturally recommend running stiff rear coil-overs on an E36 that has not been reinforced.

When running slicks - again, the advice would be to reinforce.

Having said all that; we know of many customers in Europe running coilover rear setups in M's without reinforcement or issue for many years.

A point worth making is that Nitron kits are all hand built to order and specification. As such we can create 'hybrid' kits that comprise of solid front top plates (camber/castor adjustable) with the rear as either a separate system or coilover. Further to that, the rear damper can be specified to either mate with the OE rubber top mounts (for mainly street driving) or with a full race bearing top mount. Both have their pros/cons, however I personally mated my rear shocks to a new set of rubber OE mounts. This results in mainting OE NVH and adding an extra level of compliance without sacrificing track performance dramatically. Of course, serious track cars and race cars will benefit from the spherical bearing mounts considerably.

As mentioned; our US BMW distributor is well worth contacting directly as they have a wealth of knowledge and have been running Nitron on their own cars for some time.

Hope that helps in some way?

Thanks!
May I ask if 335 E93 may convert to coilover rear? If yes, which spring rate is a safe bet? Thanks.
__________________
E93 335i Alpine White, 19" Works, PSS, M3 arms, M3 bushings,M3 E93 FSB/E92 RSB, powerflex rear diff bush.
AST 5100 with M3 rear camber arms. GC street plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

^^i think you can, I calculated the rear springs would need to be 600lb if using a coil over setup, so they would match the fronts of 500lb. The equivalent oem style rear spring would have to be 1200lb to match the front. At 600lb I do not thing the rear towers would give in, seeing how the gts runs a rear coil over. If you then factor in sway bars, in my case RD sport, I calculated again the front would need to be at hole 1, and the rear would have to be at hole 3, to match spring rates and effectively giving, at 2" of deflection or compression, a total of 1200lb spring. I hope this makes sense :/
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
M3SQRD
Colonel
United_States
25

 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC


Posts: 2,479
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
^^i think you can, I calculated the rear springs would need to be 600lb if using a coil over setup, so they would match the fronts of 500lb. The equivalent oem style rear spring would have to be 1200lb to match the front. At 600lb I do not thing the rear towers would give in, seeing how the gts runs a rear coil over. If you then factor in sway bars, in my case RD sport, I calculated again the front would need to be at hole 1, and the rear would have to be at hole 3, to match spring rates and effectively giving, at 2" of deflection or compression, a total of 1200lb spring. I hope this makes sense :/
I think your calculations are not correct.

The wheel rate = spring rate*motion ratio^2
The stock motion ratios are:
Front coilover ~0.96
Rear non-coilover ~0.58

A commonly used e9x M3 dual-purpose (street-track) setup uses 500 lbf/in F and 800 lbf/in R spring rates which converts to F and R wheel rates of ~460 lbf/in and ~270 lbf/in, respectively.

Assuming the rear "coilover" motion ratio is the same as the front coilover motion ratio (0.96, assumption; the actual value is probably between 0.7-0.85?) the rear "coilover" spring rate would be...spring rate = wheel rate / motion ratio^2 - assuming you want to match the commonly used non-coilover R setup of 800 lbf/in, the R "coilover" spring rate would be ~293 lbf/in (see below for R rate based on the correct R damper motion ratio).

I'm not going to factor in effective spring rates from the F and R sway bar torsional stiffness because they are fixed (only one end link mounting hole per bar end; not everyone is using adjustable F & R sway bars) regardless of whether you run a rear non-coilover or coilover setup. However, I will say that one of the most important things that's commonly neglected when it comes to sway bars on lowered cars is the proper re-adjustment of the sway bars, using adjustable threaded end links, to prevent the sway bars from binding - very important on the F bars because the stock sway bar mounting bushings are extremely tight (i.e., no clearance).

UPDATE: found out the rear damper motion ratio is 0.83. This means if you wanted to match the stock rear spring rate of 800 lbf/in used in the example above in a rear "coilover" setup, the "coilover" spring rate would need be ~392 lbf/in.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 12-25-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
72

 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktapscott View Post
Hi All,

Coming from the UK and understanding very clearly the issues of 'advertising' on forums, I am afraid I will have to refrain from mentioning any businesses in my post here.....

I would like to maintain my position as a technical factory resource for fitting/setup advice etc and avoid sales entirely. - I can do this as we already have a great BMW partner (some of you have already had contact with them) that will be able to answer your commercial questions. I hope you appreciate my stance on this.

Of course, when the time is right; I anticipate Nitron achieving 'advertiser' status on the forum.

The technical.....

As mentioned, I have an E46 M3 - which also means I have the rear subframe cracks! Infact, they have just started to appear following a heavy UK track day to compound this problem. I look forward to a weekend of welding reinforcements in January!

I run coilover rears with a relatively stiff spring rate (Track day rates), every day.

Rear coilovers -

Advice is really dependent on expected use. The 'issue' of running a coilover rear-setup without a rear roll-cage is of course that the turrets are not designed to cope with both damping and resultant spring forces. By considering both the spring rate used and (significantly) the weight of the vehicle we/you can judge what is appropriate. If you plan to ride 5-up, with luggage around the Nurburgring - then we would of course recommend that the car is either a non-coilover or the rear-turrets are reinforced - no matter which platform you have.

The E46 is known for having well constructed turrets (if not the subframe!), as is the case with the E9X. Nitron would not naturally recommend running stiff rear coil-overs on an E36 that has not been reinforced.

When running slicks - again, the advice would be to reinforce.

Having said all that; we know of many customers in Europe running coilover rear setups in M's without reinforcement or issue for many years.

A point worth making is that Nitron kits are all hand built to order and specification. As such we can create 'hybrid' kits that comprise of solid front top plates (camber/castor adjustable) with the rear as either a separate system or coilover. Further to that, the rear damper can be specified to either mate with the OE rubber top mounts (for mainly street driving) or with a full race bearing top mount. Both have their pros/cons, however I personally mated my rear shocks to a new set of rubber OE mounts. This results in mainting OE NVH and adding an extra level of compliance without sacrificing track performance dramatically. Of course, serious track cars and race cars will benefit from the spherical bearing mounts considerably.

As mentioned; our US BMW distributor is well worth contacting directly as they have a wealth of knowledge and have been running Nitron on their own cars for some time.

Hope that helps in some way?

Thanks!
What are the spring rates of the front and rear springs supplied with the "BMW E90/E92 M3 - NTR R1" Kit?
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
72

 
Wendall's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 1,146
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I think your calculations are not correct.

The wheel rate = spring rate*motion ratio^2
The stock motion ratios are:
Front coilover ~0.96
Rear non-coilover ~0.58

A commonly used e9x M3 dual-purpose (street-track) setup uses 500 lbf/in F and 800 lbf/in R spring rates which converts to F and R wheel rates of ~460 lbf/in and ~270 lbf/in, respectively.

Assuming the rear "coilover" motion ratio is the same as the front coilover motion ratio (0.96, assumption; the actual value is probably between 0.7-0.85?) the rear "coilover" spring rate would be...spring rate = wheel rate / motion ratio^2 - assuming you want to match the commonly used non-coilover R setup of 800 lbf/in, the R "coilover" spring rate would be ~293 lbf/in.

I'm not going to factor in effective spring rates from the F and R sway bar torsional stiffness because they are fixed (only one end link mounting hole per bar end; not everyone is using adjustable F & R sway bars) regardless of whether you run a rear non-coilover or coilover setup. However, I will say that one of the most important things that's commonly neglected when it comes to sway bars on lowered cars is the proper re-adjustment of the sway bars, using adjustable threaded end links, to prevent the sway bars from binding - very important on the F bars because the stock sway bar mounting bushings are extremely tight (i.e., no clearance).

Very good info. Thanks!
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
M3SQRD
Colonel
United_States
25

 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC


Posts: 2,479
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Very good info. Thanks!
So far I've made an assumption on what the rear damper motion ratio is based on it being outboard of the spring (closer to the wheel) and at an angle closer to vertical compared to the spring. With a few simple measurements it wouldn't be difficult to calculate the rear damper motion ratio.

Nevertheless, for a street car, or even a dual-purpose car, I do not see an advantage of running a rear coilover setup over a stock rear setup, especially on a car without a stiffened rear shock tower. On my old e46 M3 after having a custom welded-in roll bar installed I discussed switching to a rear coilover setup with a shop that professionally races BMWs and they said there was really no performance advantage for a "street" car. I know certain people have stated it's "ok" to run a rear coilover setup on the e9x M3 but I bet if the shock tower were to fail they wouldn't repair the damage for free...
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #22
italyix
Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 573
iTrader: (3)

My calculations were based on matching the front 500lb spring with a rear of 600lb using a rear coil over set up, given a motion ration of .83 for the rear.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST