BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Outside Mirror Don't Auto Dim or face down when in reverse?

Coming from my 335i E92, the mirror on that use to dip downwards on passenger side when in reverse to see the kerb and auto dim at night when the lights are too bright like the interior mirror.

But the M3 doesn't do that?
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
KrackerXL
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: COrona,

Posts: 410
iTrader: (1)

nope unfortunately :/
KrackerXL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Ah that's rather annoying, thought it would do that since it's based on the 3 series.
Thought it might an option that's not been ticked.
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

I noticed that from mine as well, the thing is that mine has dimmed before. I am not sure if it is faulty or if it takes a certain amount of light to activate. I figured it only worked if someone was sitting in the seat, tested and it worked but then......it stopped working. Not too sure but its a roll of the dice with mine. I am getting a tint soon anyways so I am over it.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrackerXL View Post
nope unfortunately :/
Are you certain it doesn't, beacuse I was going to take my car in for this issue but if the M3 passenger mirror doesnt fold down when in reverse, I wont bother. I have manual fold mirrors so I dont have auto dim.

Can anyone else chime in?
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

On your other issue, make sure your selector switch for the mirror adjustment is pushed to the left. The right mirror won't drop in reverse if you have it set to the right.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Well my old e92 335i did it pretty much in sync with the interior mirror.
But been driving in the motorway and traffic and it doesn't seem to do that.

Also checked on realoem and it only labels it as fold-in heated mirror. Nothing about dimming.

One thing is strange that why wouldn't it angle down when in reverse when it's already electric and it does it on the normal E92?
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Are you certain it doesn't, beacuse I was going to take my car in for this issue but if the M3 passenger mirror doesnt fold down when in reverse, I wont bother. I have manual fold mirrors so I dont have auto dim.

Can anyone else chime in?
Read my post above.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
On your other issue, make sure your selector switch for the mirror adjustment is pushed to the left. The right mirror won't drop in reverse if you have it set to the right.
Oops might try to flick between selecting right/left.
Pretty sure my old one did it when selected on the right.
Will report back.
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post

One thing is strange that why wouldn't it angle down when in reverse when it's already electric and it does it on the normal E92?
Agree I have driven loaner e92 non-Ms and the pass. mirror folds down in reverse... very confused by this and would love to get some more response to confirm if it supposed to do this or not on the M3
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #11
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Well my old e92 335i did it pretty much in sync with the interior mirror.
But been driving in the motorway and traffic and it doesn't seem to do that.

Also checked on realoem and it only labels it as fold-in heated mirror. Nothing about dimming.

One thing is strange that why wouldn't it angle down when in reverse when it's already electric and it does it on the normal E92?
Not sure, but you can tell it dims because you can see the lining and I have seen mine dim before. I just mentioned it but make sure your switch for the mirror adjustment is set to the left for the right mirror to angle for reverse.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
On your other issue, make sure your selector switch for the mirror adjustment is pushed to the left. The right mirror won't drop in reverse if you have it set to the right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Oops might try to flick between selecting right/left.
Pretty sure my old one did it when selected on the right.
Will report back.
Have done that..doesnt work
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Oops might try to flick between selecting right/left.
Pretty sure my old one did it when selected on the right.
Will report back.
Yeah, I learned that the hard way thinking my mirror broke. It wouldn't work set to the right.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amri215 View Post
Have done that..doesnt work
If you are having the issue with the selector switch to the left mirror and it wont angle then you must be having an issue. Try adjusting the mirror a few times, who knows maybe its stuck. I had an issue with my folding mirrors not wanting to fold or unfold so I had to manually fold them and it worked afterwards.

These mirrors seem like women!
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Hm.
Will try flicking switch just to see.
But pretty sure about the none dimming exterior mirror.
Doesn't mention it when I compared the VIN.

On 335i it says S430A - interior / outside mirror with auto dip compared to my M3, it says S313A - fold it outside mirror.

I can only assume that there are less M3 mirrors around and they didn't bother with the fancy dimming and reversing thing.
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Hm.
Will try flicking switch just to see.
But pretty sure about the none dimming exterior mirror.
Doesn't mention it when I compared the VIN.

On 335i it says S430A - interior / outside mirror with auto dip compared to my M3, it says S313A - fold it outside mirror.

I can only assume that there are less M3 mirrors around and they didn't bother with the fancy dimming and reversing thing.
I am telling you I have witnessed mine dim. If you look at the mirrors closely you can see the lining, almost like a film cover. It is on both mirrors for me.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
If you are having the issue with the selector switch to the left mirror and it wont angle then you must be having an issue. Try adjusting the mirror a few times, who knows maybe its stuck. I had an issue with my folding mirrors not wanting to fold or unfold so I had to manually fold them and it worked afterwards.

These mirrors seem like women!
Uggh ..yeah its a 2012 car so I dont undertsand how it broke..oh well off to the dealer I go. thanks.
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

An option that wasn't ticked when ordering the car?
Can you check your VIN and see what option you have for the mirror pleease?
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

I know for a fact I dont have the auto dim. I have manual fold in mirrors..but it seems two things for me are not working

The passenger side fold down when in reverse (no matter if I select left or right side button)

The heated mirror when its very cold outside (my mirrors dont seem to heat up) and I am positive they are supposed to be heated.
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
sylonien
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Over there

Posts: 1,163
iTrader: (0)

Very confused, all I can say is that mine electric folding, heated mirror. No mention about reverse (and doesn't seem to work) and no dimming.

S313A listed as that option.

Can you guys check your VIN?

Annoying that you can't seem to ask these type of questions at BMW - they won't have a clue. And also I don't remember having much options when spec'ing the car the BMW configuration?
sylonien is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Amri215
Banned
 
Amri215's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Very confused, all I can say is that mine electric folding, heated mirror. No mention about reverse (and doesn't seem to work) and no dimming.

S313A listed as that option.

Can you guys check your VIN?

Annoying that you can't seem to ask these type of questions at BMW - they won't have a clue. And also I don't remember having much options when spec'ing the car the BMW configuration?
How can I check the VIN?
Amri215 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Look at your rear view mirror. On the top middle portion of the reflective glass there is a sensor, that is another sign you have the dimming option. Another test is to turn your cabin lights on and the rear view mirror will catch the light and activate the dimming. I believe you have to have the lights on auto or normal settings for the dimming to work as well.

I don't see why the angle reverse would be an option. Seems like that would be a given option with the car.
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST