BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
MR///M3
e90post veteran
 
MR///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 M3, '09 335, '11 Mini R56
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: central NJ

Posts: 1,384
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
lol, that's exactly what i'm doing right now...

But it's kind of an expensive proposition to keep both rims!

The only problem i have with keeping the LMs is that the wife and I recently had a baby and I'm trying to keep the ride as "smooth" as possible when they're in the M3.
I hear you. I have 18" te37sl's for the winter and 20" ADV.1 ADV10's for the summer. I've definitely gone back and forth whether I should sell the adv.1's and put it towards a supercharger (I told myself I wouldn't spend over $15k on aftermarket parts). I still haven't decided on that yet. So I'm in a similar boat.
__________________
2012 Melbourne Red/Bamboo Novillo E92 M3 - ZCP, ZPP, DCT, BMW Apps, Sat Radio, Heated Seats
Mods- 20" BBS LM DBK, 18" Volk TE37SL, OSS, Arkym, RD Sport, and much more...
Thanks to- PYSpeed -- Morr Wheels -- OSS Designs -- iND-Distribution

Last edited by MR///M3; 02-21-2012 at 01:35 PM.
MR///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
gixxer_kidd
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
A) if u dont need the extra cash, keep 'em both.
B) if u do need the extra cash, decide from option C or D
C) track often, keep te.
D) dont track, keep lm.
^^^this!!!
gixxer_kidd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
 
Bluesummer's Avatar
 
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

Posts: 15,390
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I say keep the LMs. coz with the price you listed, it's gonna be hard to sell. It's easier to sell the SLs
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Bluesummer is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
iczer34
Dude, WTF?
 
iczer34's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal

Posts: 654
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
I say keep the LMs. coz with the price you listed, it's gonna be hard to sell. It's easier to sell the SLs
Yup, not everyday someone has $5K+ to spend on rims. The TE37 SLs have been selling like hot cakes on these forums. Once spring/summer arrives it'll probably be up for sale! lol
__________________
"A good reputation is more valuable than money"

2014 BMW i3 REx (Giga) - Capparis White
2013 F10 535i M-Sport - DGM II
iczer34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #27
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
 
Bluesummer's Avatar
 
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

Posts: 15,390
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iczer34 View Post
Yup, not everyday someone has $5K+ to spend on rims. The TE37 SLs have been selling like hot cakes on these forums. Once spring/summer arrives it'll probably be up for sale! lol
Yeah, at least 20'' LMs really holds its value when you do resell them, not like my 19'' LMs
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Bluesummer is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
John Tanglewood
Colonel
 
John Tanglewood's Avatar
 
Drives: 11' M3 Coupe AW/FR (for sale)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 2,061
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
I have never liked BBS wheels and LM's are no exception.
to each his own, but...


__________________

My M3 is for sale here
John Tanglewood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
FruitCake
Banned
 
Drives: '10 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,680
iTrader: (19)

keep the LMs..
if the TEs were..original TE37 and not the cheaper made SLs...i would have say keep the TEs but
in this case the LMs are a better wheel.

Better yet, have both sets like me. I use my 20" LM-R for street and 18" TE37 for when I want to be racecar.
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #30
alex1988
Captain
 
alex1988's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 690
iTrader: (8)

Keep the te37 because they are easier to wash
alex1988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #31
Gkap
BMF Movement
 
Gkap's Avatar
 
Drives: Women Crazy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: GTA

Posts: 3,010
iTrader: (1)

its obviously personal preference but I would keep the LM's.
Gkap is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #32
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,945
iTrader: (5)

20s LM for looks,Volks for performance !
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #33
Original
Lieutenant
 
Original's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern California

Posts: 455
iTrader: (1)

18s ftw!!!!
__________________
Original is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #34
alex1988
Captain
 
alex1988's Avatar
 
Drives: Asian Cutties
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 690
iTrader: (8)

LM for daily, TE for track.
alex1988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #35
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
 
Raucky2000's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ohio

Posts: 483
iTrader: (3)

Keep the SLs IMO
Raucky2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #36
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Lm
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
kaiv
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (15)

This thread is 10 months old fellas.
kaiv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #38
redEYEjedi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E91
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 561
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
This thread is 10 months old fellas.
I feel that's the beauty of it. Even 10 months later the overal consensus is to keep the BBS LM's.

I have always been a BBS whore, so me and my 3 sets of LM's vote for... keeping the LM's. (big surprise haha)
__________________
redEYEjedi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #39
iczer34
Dude, WTF?
 
iczer34's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NorCal

Posts: 654
iTrader: (8)

LOL thanks for reviving this thread! the BBS LMs were sold off to E92envolved which he only mounted for 1 week in favor of buying a set of new F1s instead. That guy is baller. :P

The TE37 SLs don't get as much attention but it's so much more comfortable! Especially for my 12 month old.
__________________
"A good reputation is more valuable than money"

2014 BMW i3 REx (Giga) - Capparis White
2013 F10 535i M-Sport - DGM II
iczer34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #40
deepblonde
New Member
 
Drives: FG FPV GT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vic, Oz

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitCake View Post
keep the LMs..
if the TEs were..original TE37 and not the cheaper made SLs...i would have say keep the TEs but
in this case the LMs are a better wheel.

Better yet, have both sets like me. I use my 20" LM-R for street and 18" TE37 for when I want to be racecar.

What do you mean "cheaper made SLs"?

Both the TE37 and Te37SL are forged under a 10,000 ton press, producing an extremely strong, ultra lightweight wheel.

The TE37SL is lighter than the equivalent TE37 in most cases due to being slightly redesigned to accommodate even larger brakes than the TE37.
deepblonde is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #41
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
 
PINHEAD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 975
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblonde View Post
What do you mean "cheaper made SLs"?

Both the TE37 and Te37SL are forged under a 10,000 ton press, producing an extremely strong, ultra lightweight wheel.

The TE37SL is lighter than the equivalent TE37 in most cases due to being slightly redesigned to accommodate even larger brakes than the TE37.
you're so wrong.
TE37SL are not 10ton forged, neither are TE37.
TE37 are 8000 ton forged, SLs are flow form forged. Vastly different manufacturing techniques at vastly different costs as well.
TE37SL is slightly lighter because of the redesigned center bore and backspacing area but it does not accommodate center caps. Also parts of the spokes were re-CND'd where strength was not compromised. It was not redesigned to accommodate even larger brakes either, it was made to fill a gap in the market that truly forged wheels couldn't because of manufacturing costs. Before you make statements, check your facts.
__________________
PINHEAD is offline   Monaco
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #42
deepblonde
New Member
 
Drives: FG FPV GT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vic, Oz

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
you're so wrong.
TE37SL are not 10ton forged, neither are TE37.
TE37 are 8000 ton forged, SLs are flow form forged. Vastly different manufacturing techniques at vastly different costs as well.
TE37SL is slightly lighter because of the redesigned center bore and backspacing area but it does not accommodate center caps. Also parts of the spokes were re-CND'd where strength was not compromised. It was not redesigned to accommodate even larger brakes either, it was made to fill a gap in the market that truly forged wheels couldn't because of manufacturing costs. Before you make statements, check your facts.
Thank you for the information, do have any links?
Not trying to be confrontational, I'm interested in how these wheels are manufactured.
The reason I believed TE37SL to be redesigned to fit over larger brakes is because when I was looking for 18 inch wheels to fit over 380mm rotors with brembo's, the TE37 18 x 8.5 +35 wouldn't clear, but the TE37SL - same 18 inch x 8.5 , same +35 offset did clear, so I assumed the TE37SL had been deliberately redesigned.
deepblonde is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #43
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
 
PINHEAD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 975
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblonde View Post
Thank you for the information, do have any links?
Not trying to be confrontational, I'm interested in how these wheels are manufactured.
The reason I believed TE37SL to be redesigned to fit over larger brakes is because when I was looking for 18 inch wheels to fit over 380mm rotors with brembo's, the TE37 18 x 8.5 +35 wouldn't clear, but the TE37SL - same 18 inch x 8.5 , same +35 offset did clear, so I assumed the TE37SL had been deliberately redesigned.
Go call Rays Japan yourself. Part of the business I own deals with wheel manufacturing and I deal with Rays and other wheel manufacture directly, thats my source. Weather the are BBK clearing or not depends a whole lot on other things, but they are a cheaper version of the original TE37s, no matter how you want to sugar coat it. Regardless, they are still good wheels so if you're trying to justify you're purchase, its justified.
__________________
PINHEAD is offline   Monaco
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #44
deepblonde
New Member
 
Drives: FG FPV GT
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vic, Oz

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
Go call Rays Japan yourself. Part of the business I own deals with wheel manufacturing and I deal with Rays and other wheel manufacture directly, thats my source. Weather the are BBK clearing or not depends a whole lot on other things, but they are a cheaper version of the original TE37s, no matter how you want to sugar coat it. Regardless, they are still good wheels so if you're trying to justify you're purchase, its justified.
Hey, I haven't bought any TE37SL, so not trying to justify anything... and certainly not to you...
deepblonde is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST