BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

DCT clutches replacement on SC E9x M's

I'm looking foward to SC my E90 (probably ESS VT2-585) and wanted to hear from fellow members how common/frequent the DCT clutches need to be replaced on SC cars. I know wear will be greater but wanted to know if this is a common issue. Dragstrip experts are welcomed to chime in, as I'm intrested in hitting the strip (hopefully) 3-4 times a year as well as 2-3 1/2 mile events a year. Thanks in advance.
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
I'm looking foward to SC my E90 (probably ESS VT2-585) and wanted to hear from fellow members how common/frequent the DCT clutches need to be replaced on SC cars. I know wear will be greater but wanted to know if this is a common issue. Dragstrip experts are welcomed to chime in, as I'm intrested in hitting the strip (hopefully) 3-4 times a year as well as 2-3 1/2 mile events a year. Thanks in advance.
If you launch the car a lot or hit the drag strip frequently, then you may need to replace them eventually, otherwise I highly doubt it.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
If you launch the car a lot or hit the drag strip frequently, then you may need to replace them eventually, otherwise I highly doubt it.
Thanks Drew. I don't remember reading it, have you replaced yours?
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
leigh
Captain
 
leigh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

Posts: 956
iTrader: (0)

He has once but he has likely done over 100 launchs using LC at the strip I think it would be many more the 100 but
leigh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
He has once but he has likely done over 100 launchs using LC at the strip I think it would be many more the 100 but
Thanks for the info!
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
1SICKM
Captain
 
1SICKM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield, NJ

Posts: 945
iTrader: (5)

I have a few hundred LC on mine and its fine but don't plan to be running the strip much more. Your fine, the DCT can handle 650whp with no problem and no bolt kit makes that kind of power unless you do a low compression build
__________________
E92 M3 DCT...Powered by ESS VT2 650/DCT GTS Software/Aquamist HFS-3 50/50/Morr /Toyo R888's

CURRENT WORLD RECORD HOLDER 1/4 MILE - 12/7/12 (ESS VT2 625, Meth Off)
ATCO RACEWAY: 10.65 @ 131.79MPH 1.725 60FT
1SICKM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
I have a few hundred LC on mine and its fine but don't plan to be running the strip much more. Your fine, the DCT can handle 650whp with no problem and no bolt kit makes that kind of power unless you do a low compression build
Thanks!
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

If you use launch control you will be fine . Now if you goto the strip and use S mode or Auto mode you will get slippage on your odd gears
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
ArthurJGuy
Private
 
ArthurJGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 beater, e92 ///M shopping
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
I have a few hundred LC on mine and its fine but don't plan to be running the strip much more. Your fine, the DCT can handle 650whp with no problem and no bolt kit makes that kind of power unless you do a low compression build
Is any type of tune or flash required to support these levels on the DCT?

I have had some tuners tell me yes above 580whp, and I have had some tell me none required.
__________________
03 325i - Daily Driver
05 GTO 750 RWHP - For Sale
09 e92 - Pending purchase.
ArthurJGuy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
1SICKM
Captain
 
1SICKM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield, NJ

Posts: 945
iTrader: (5)

When you floor the gas pedal in DCT it does a 3000rpm clutch drop and it can be pretty violent. LC launches at 5500 but it doesn't drop the clutch but rather the trans slips on purpose to reduce wheel spin. I think LC is a lot less stressful on the tranny than most think vs the clutch drop from a dead stop in 1st gear
__________________
E92 M3 DCT...Powered by ESS VT2 650/DCT GTS Software/Aquamist HFS-3 50/50/Morr /Toyo R888's

CURRENT WORLD RECORD HOLDER 1/4 MILE - 12/7/12 (ESS VT2 625, Meth Off)
ATCO RACEWAY: 10.65 @ 131.79MPH 1.725 60FT
1SICKM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
When you floor the gas pedal in DCT it does a 3000rpm clutch drop and it can be pretty violent. LC launches at 5500 but it doesn't drop the clutch but rather the trans slips on purpose to reduce wheel spin. I think LC is a lot less stressful on the tranny than most think vs the clutch drop from a dead stop in 1st gear
I would think it's the opposite. (at least for the clutches).

LC is really just slipping the clutch more, whereas just dumping is def less wear on the clutch but def harsher on the driveline. The fine point in between is where its at!
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Thanks Drew. I don't remember reading it, have you replaced yours?
When I upgraded to a VT3 my clutches started to slip. I never used a Line Lock, I had early DCT software that allowed standing burnouts, but with the brakes applied that did put more wear on the car than using a LL would. I just think the tons of standing burnouts, launches, etc. took it's toll, and then with over 600whp it started to slip.

I replaced the stock clutches with SSP Kevlar, and we had issues, then eventually had to replace the transmission, so I bought a used one with low miles and just kept the stock clutches, so far it's holding well.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi

Last edited by DLSJ5; 12-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
When you floor the gas pedal in DCT it does a 3000rpm clutch drop and it can be pretty violent. LC launches at 5500 but it doesn't drop the clutch but rather the trans slips on purpose to reduce wheel spin. I think LC is a lot less stressful on the tranny than most think vs the clutch drop from a dead stop in 1st gear
I would think it's the opposite. (at least for the clutches).

LC is really just slipping the clutch more, whereas just dumping is def less wear on the clutch but def harsher on the driveline. The fine point in between is where its at!
It's not the opposite Scott "1sickM" is 100% right launch control will control the launch ( doing what is was designed to do ) whereas hitting it in 1st has a violent effect On the clutch and will cause a slip spot.

I think I might need a new clutch due to this very reason from our previous track event I did about 50 launches starting in first.
Reason ? When I was using launch control I was doing standstill burn outs due to tires not being sticky enough or at least not being Drag radial tires .

The car is at the dealer getting check out but i think it needs a new clutch .
All odd gears slip, have a sloppy jerky shift into the odd gears whereas the even ones are smooth ...
You play you pay & the messed up part is I always preached not to do what I did but when your in the moment and excited focusing on your 60' ft's you can easily forget or do something stupid as I did ...
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
It's not the opposite Scott "1sickM" is 100% right launch control will control the launch ( doing what is was designed to do ) whereas hitting it in 1st has a violent effect On the clutch and will cause a slip spot.

I think I might need a new clutch due to this very reason from our previous track event I did about 50 launches starting in first.
Reason ? When I was using launch control I was doing standstill burn outs due to tires not being sticky enough or at least not being Drag radial tires .

The car is at the dealer getting check out but i think it needs a new clutch .
All odd gears slip, have a sloppy jerky shift into the odd gears whereas the even ones are smooth ...
You play you pay & the messed up part is I always preached not to do what I did but when your in the moment and excited focusing on your 60' ft's you can easily forget or do something stupid as I did ...


no I def get it, but a violent launch is gonna kill the drietrain regarldess; LC slips the clutch enough, but that in turn is more wear on the clutch faces. In any event wheelspin is better than breaking Hope car gets fixed
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
1SICKM
Captain
 
1SICKM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield, NJ

Posts: 945
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
It's not the opposite Scott "1sickM" is 100% right launch control will control the launch ( doing what is was designed to do ) whereas hitting it in 1st has a violent effect On the clutch and will cause a slip spot.

I think I might need a new clutch due to this very reason from our previous track event I did about 50 launches starting in first.
Reason ? When I was using launch control I was doing standstill burn outs due to tires not being sticky enough or at least not being Drag radial tires .

The car is at the dealer getting check out but i think it needs a new clutch .
All odd gears slip, have a sloppy jerky shift into the odd gears whereas the even ones are smooth ...
You play you pay & the messed up part is I always preached not to do what I did but when your in the moment and excited focusing on your 60' ft's you can easily forget or do something stupid as I did ...
So your assumption that the clutch was slipping was spot on when you called the other night. That sucks! Keep us in the loop....
__________________
E92 M3 DCT...Powered by ESS VT2 650/DCT GTS Software/Aquamist HFS-3 50/50/Morr /Toyo R888's

CURRENT WORLD RECORD HOLDER 1/4 MILE - 12/7/12 (ESS VT2 625, Meth Off)
ATCO RACEWAY: 10.65 @ 131.79MPH 1.725 60FT
1SICKM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
erm324
Major
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,055
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
So your assumption that the clutch was slipping was spot on when you called the other night. That sucks! Keep us in the loop....
I dont think his clutches are slipping, I think his transmission is similar to mine and something else is up. My car under WOT doesn't slip, but the tranny is notchy/clunky as hell. I hope he gets it fixed because I'll follow and do the same if we can find out what it is! If the tranny is slipping it would slip at high rpm - I think this "slip" zim is describing is the same delay and subsequent clunk that I experience when shifting at like 2-4krpm. He knows what I'm talking about I told him about it on the phone the other night. Scott your DCT is fine? You're lucky man! lol....what I'm experiencing doesn't effect performance, however it ruins the smoothness of the car around town at any other time than when I race (or used to for that matter). It almost feels as if something is loose or not sitting right - it could be something wrong with the tranny as well as the drivetrain. Those launches we do destroy both.
erm324 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
1SICKM
Captain
 
1SICKM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 E92
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield, NJ

Posts: 945
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
I dont think his clutches are slipping, I think his transmission is similar to mine and something else is up. My car under WOT doesn't slip, but the tranny is notchy/clunky as hell. I hope he gets it fixed because I'll follow and do the same if we can find out what it is! If the tranny is slipping it would slip at high rpm - I think this "slip" zim is describing is the same delay and subsequent clunk that I experience when shifting at like 2-4krpm. He knows what I'm talking about I told him about it on the phone the other night. Scott your DCT is fine? You're lucky man! lol....what I'm experiencing doesn't effect performance, however it ruins the smoothness of the car around town at any other time than when I race (or used to for that matter). It almost feels as if something is loose or not sitting right - it could be something wrong with the tranny as well as the drivetrain. Those launches we do destroy both.
Mine feels fine as the day i bought the car. I dont plan to hit the dragstrip anymore unless someone beats my record with a VF or AA kit
__________________
E92 M3 DCT...Powered by ESS VT2 650/DCT GTS Software/Aquamist HFS-3 50/50/Morr /Toyo R888's

CURRENT WORLD RECORD HOLDER 1/4 MILE - 12/7/12 (ESS VT2 625, Meth Off)
ATCO RACEWAY: 10.65 @ 131.79MPH 1.725 60FT
1SICKM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
m3an
Banned
 
m3an's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,611
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
I dont think his clutches are slipping, I think his transmission is similar to mine and something else is up. My car under WOT doesn't slip, but the tranny is notchy/clunky as hell. I hope he gets it fixed because I'll follow and do the same if we can find out what it is! If the tranny is slipping it would slip at high rpm - I think this "slip" zim is describing is the same delay and subsequent clunk that I experience when shifting at like 2-4krpm. He knows what I'm talking about I told him about it on the phone the other night. Scott your DCT is fine? You're lucky man! lol....what I'm experiencing doesn't effect performance, however it ruins the smoothness of the car around town at any other time than when I race (or used to for that matter). It almost feels as if something is loose or not sitting right - it could be something wrong with the tranny as well as the drivetrain. Those launches we do destroy both.

you running stock trans mounts? wouldn't hurt upgrading esp if you're launching the car
m3an is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
GIdriver
Major
 
GIdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Somewhere in Time

Posts: 1,337
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
When I upgraded to a VT3 my clutches started to slip. I never used a Line Lock, I had early DCT software that allowed standing burnouts, but with the brakes applied that did put more wear on the car than using a LL would. I just think the tons of standing burnouts, launches, etc. took it's toll, and then with over 600whp it started to slip.

I replaced the stock clutches with SSP Kevlar, and we had issues, then eventually had to replace the transmission, so I bought a used one with low miles and just kept the stock clutches, so far it's holding well.
Thanks for the info. With the VT2-585 I believe that RWHP should be around 500. After seeing all the beating those VT2 and VT3 DCT's can take I guess I should be fine.
__________________
Akrapovic Evolution with Carbon Fiber tips | ESS Akra Evo tune V2 | Dinan Pulley | iND Cosmetic Package (Color Matched Front Grilles/Reflectors/Side Gills) in Space Gray | LUX H8 Angel Eyes

GIdriver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #20
biglare
Bulldog
 
biglare's Avatar
 
Drives: X6M | 1M | SOLD E90 M3 VT2-625
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CA

Posts: 2,956
iTrader: (3)

You will not need to worry about your clutches with the VT2-585 kit. Get it and enjoy it!
__________________
1M ESS Stage 1+ Tune | IND Grills - Sides | Eisenmann Race | HRE P43S | KW V3 | SOLD-M3 ESS VT2-625 | IND/Challenge CF V-Weave Roof - LipSpoiler BootLid Diffuser - Mirrors - Brembo BBK Fiji-Green | HRE P44SC | MA Carbon CF MatteSilver Trim | Akra GT4 Mid-Pipe - Eisenmann Inconel | 3.62Diff | TopStitch Custom Interior | KW Clubsport | RD Sport Sways
biglare is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
m33
Banned
 
m33's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 2,697
iTrader: (5)

It's been confirmed I need a new clutch !
Pretty stupid of me , I should have just bought MT's and I could have avoided this
Let this be a lesson for all you DCT OWNERS use launch control !!!

Btw the car shifts just fine it's the jerkiness that I don't like when it shifts into the Odd gears that's why I'm replacing my clutches cause other wise I can keep the existing one and be just fine but I like my smooth shifting
m33 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
alpina527
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London, England

Posts: 638
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
It's been confirmed I need a new clutch !
Pretty stupid of me , I should have just bought MT's and I could have avoided this
Let this be a lesson for all you DCT OWNERS use launch control !!!

Btw the car shifts just fine it's the jerkiness that I don't like when it shifts into the Odd gears that's why I'm replacing my clutches cause other wise I can keep the existing one and be just fine but I like my smooth shifting
How much is the new clutch inc fitting?
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST